The Investigators
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2014 by carniegirl

Day 7

It was Eddie's usual 6 AM start on the day when he finally crawled from his warm bed. It was also an awful time of the day to do anything that wasn't part of his routine. He did his morning things half expecting to see the Home Depot winterizing team to show up. Since they didn't, Eddie got his morning off to a proper start.

He stopped at the plaza at Bishop's Crossing for a very quick biscuit. He had a small thermos of coffee since he didn't care for the restaurant's coffee. Most all of them were the same standard dishwater blend. He ate his breakfast in his car to save time. That particular morning was going to be all about time. He needed to be in the office earlier than his team.

His thermos was empty by the time he arrived at the office. He poured a cup of the office coffee, which was just a couple of notches better than the restaurant swill. Then he put the day old coffee into the microwave oven to heat.

With that cup of coffee in hand, he stood looking at the storyboard. They had posted the very poor surveillance picture shot by a camera outside a jewelry store beside the hotel. The camera caught her reflection in the store's window. Naturally the definition was terrible.

Eddie had of course seen the picture during the original investigation. At that time it had been an only half hearted investigation, one which ended too soon. Since the investigation was heating up, Eddie expected it to be ended sooner rather than later. Still there was the chance that without any teeth, he might at least find out what happened.

He had to admit the driver's license picture of Iris Martin was similar. Mostly it was the perfection that was similar. She was too perfect to be a call girl or a country girl. She obviously had corrective surgery, so who paid for it. Certainly not the evil mercenaries, as they liked to bill themselves.

If he ever got her talking he wanted to ask her that. Who had created Rose Seabold? That might be the real question worthy of an answer.

Wes and Mike arrived just before eight. It was obvious that Mike was looking forward to his road trip. He was lugging a large black backpack.

Eddie: After you got the kitchen sink in that bag, did you have room for your laptop?

Mike: Do you think I over packed? Wes kidded me all the way in.

Eddie: You would be fine for a six month hitchhiking tour of the back roads.

Mike: I can cut it down some. It's mostly electronic shit that is redundant.

Wes: You are going by car and that Ford has a full sized trunk. You will be fine. Just make a note of what you really need to carry next time.

Eddie: Yeah it is your first road trip. You will figure it out. If you don't it will be your last road trip.

Wes, speaking of road trips, gather all the information on Mossberg you can find, particularly information on the one who calls himself Bart. Look into all you can find on the life and times of one Iris Martin, Rose Seabold and half a dozen other aliases I'm sure.

Wes: I got ya boss so when are we leaving.

Eddie: I am going to try to make reservations for tomorrow. That is if May has a credit card for us. We can fly down there using the vouchers, but we can't survive without that card. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to pay for the Senator's witch hunt. I do have faith that May can weasel the cards out of Lucille. I'm not sure what information she will have to trade for them, but she will get the cards.

Salina arrived next she looked tired. Mike also noted that she smiled at Wes.

Wes: A word boss.

Wes was already headed to the door. He held the stairwell door for Eddie.

Eddie (after they were outside the building): What is it Wes?

Wes: I went into Salina's house when I drove her home yesterday. She is running a free clinic from her apartment in a housing project. She has junkies and illegal immigrants coming and going all the time. Gang bangers get their gunshots and knife wounds tended to by her. A lot of the shit she does is really, really close to the line. We ought to do something for her. She is not even shielded by the medical confidentiality laws.

Eddie: Yeah she is a convicted felon with her license revoked.

Wes: Yeah but she is doing good things.

Eddie: We don't make the laws. Stay close. If she needs anything, we will try to work it out. You aren't screwing her are you?

Wes: Of course not.

Eddie: Okay we need to fly out of here tomorrow. I have no idea when we will return.

Wes: I have nothing on my dance card, so it's not a problem.

Eddie got the call from his installer about 10 AM.

Installer: We be ready soon Mr. Alexander.

Eddie: So what time do you want me home? Is noon too early?

Installer: We should be ready then. If gone, we go lunch, but be back soon. (The answer had been in broken English)

Salina and Wes spent time with the files from Mike's latest download. There were a lot of secret smiles. Eddie had believed him when Wes said he wasn't screwing Salina, but he also knew from the looks that it was just a matter of time. Eddie waited until 11:30AM before he advised the others of his lunch plan.

Eddie: I have to go to the house to meet some people. It isn't case related so if anything comes up call me on the cell.

The two of them nodded as he walked outside. Eddie realized that it hadn't been necessary to specify his cell phone, since he hadn't had a land telephone line installed. It just didn't seem necessary. He stopped on the way home at the Bag-o-Burgers for a couple of the small burgers. They were probably 50% fat but he loved them anyway.

The men were sitting around the yard drinking water from plastic bottles. That told Eddie that they were most likely ready for him. They had probably already been to lunch. He was glad since it meant they would stay at the work till they were finished.

Eddie could see the new windows and the two new storm doors that had been installed and looked good. He could also see some of the siding they had removed to force cellulose insulation into the wall cavities. They seemed to be complete except for the overhead insulation.

Eddie: You ready to start inside?

Installer: Si.

He obviously spoke the best English of them all. Their language skills or lack thereof didn't matter at all to Eddie. He showed them the access to the attic and walked away while they jibber jabbered. Finally they brought in the machine and began to blow the attic full of insulation.

It took them only an hour or so to finish the job. Eddie was back at his desk by 2 PM.

Eddie: Did I miss anything?

Salina: Nothing at all. Our sweet young couple didn't even call from their mountain vacation. (Eddie glared at her) Come on Boss Wes is hoping they'd become an item.

Eddie: I am going to ignore that remark. Let's get our ducks in a row for the trip tomorrow. Salina, call the airport taxi service and get us a ride. We probably need a pick up at the office before 10 AM.

Wes: What are we going to do about firearms?

Eddie: We are going to behave in a manner which will not require us to find a need for a firearm. And if someone draws down on us, I expect you to take it away from him and stuff it up his ass.

Wes: Yeah you can expect that, but I'm not Bruce Lee and life is not a movie. I'm way too old for that shit.

Eddie: Then maybe we should get Lucille. She's the youngest we have left since Mike and May are gone.

Wes: I think we can struggle without her.


May: What the hell are you doing?

She and Michael were in the restaurant attached to a three star motel. She would not have been in the restaurant, if there wasn't a requirement that staff stay within a per diem rate when traveling. That rate did not allow for really expensive motels or restaurant. It did cover three star motels and their restaurants.

May: Well?

Mike: I'm eating my french fries.

May: You are covering them with ranch salad dressing.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.