The Investigators
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2014 by carniegirl

Day 6

The day six meeting began with a rehash of all they knew and all they needed to know.

Eddie: It's time for a working hypothesis. We can't prove it, but we think Rose Seabold was in that room. If she was then she killed our drug lord wannabe. Her motive was money. Most likely she was getting paid well for it. It is very likely that she stole a large amount of money from the victim.

Wes: So we start there and work out?

Eddie: Unlike a politician, before we ruin her life, we are going to be sure. We don't need as high a threshold of proof as a cop, but we have a moral obligation to get it right. No wild accusations and no leaks to mama on this. If Lucille wants to know she needs to attend the meetings. No one outside this room gets our working theories, ever.

Mike: So how do we prove Rose and blonde body are the same.

Eddie: Good question. Salina make a few calls. See if the Island Court or prison has a blood sample or her fingerprints. If we can get her prints or DNA we can start to tie the fake names to her. One of those names will lead to a mistake. They always slip up.

Wes: Do you want to hold off on Alabama till we have more on her?

Eddie: No. Let's go there and ask about Swamp Dog. We will just work her into the conversation and see what their story is.

Shit somebody get us a fucking storyboard. May you are close with Lucille, tell her we need a white board down here. It's the easiest way for us all to get on the same page.

Mike: I think I can prove that Rose Seabold had a loose connection with at least a domestic group working with Swamp Dog. I think I can also prove she was an asset of the State Police back when they were in charge of all law enforcement in the state. It was a black bag relationship, but I think there was one. They purged their files just before the Feds took over, but there might be some financial data. I found traces of a truck purchase. That truck was later registered to Rose Seabold. There was never any record of the purchase, or of any sale in the official record. There was just some comment in a discretionary acquisition. The SBI bought a truck that they gave to Rose Seabold, maybe.

May: That tie is way too iffy to be of any use in a criminal case.

Eddie: True but we aren't talking about a criminal case. Do I have to keep reminding you of that? If that is true, how did she get from the old SBI to the Swamp Dog?

Wes: And was she ever a part of the Federal Police Undercover Group. If she was part of their black bag operations, did they order the hit on Carlos? Are we looking at corruption in the Feds on a giant scale?

Eddie: Seabold, Martin, or whoever she is, may be the key to opening the lock on those operations. She could not have been the only one. The only thing we can prove is that she was in a bodyguard operation that may have been routed through Swamp Dog but everyone involved was a contractor. The Government did not get involved in covering anything up for them. That's why she was in prison for almost a year.

Eddie: Michael, keep downloading information. There is going to be some tie in all those bits or bites whatever they are.

Wes: So what we going to do in Alabama, since we don't know what to ask Rose.

Eddie: If she is there, we just have a chat. If she is not, we ask Bart, as he calls himself now, about the organization of Swamp Dog. You know who did what, that kind of things. We get some more names from him, then some names from those names. Pretty soon we have the whole organizational chart filled in.

Along the way we just might find out about Rose Seabold. Hey Michael what was the first address you have for the Rose Seabold ID?"

Mike: She lived in a place called Farmer's Grove community. She lived there for several years. She kind of pulled up stakes and left for no reason. There doesn't seem to have been any plan or reason for it. Next time we hear of her she is in Alabama.

Those were facts Mike had pulled from the digital soup during his weekend of tracking Rose.

Eddie: So she was Rose Seabold until a couple of years ago when she became Iris Martin in Mossberg Alabama. In that case we need to send someone to talk to the people in Farmer's Grove. Some of them surely knew her. Mike, how about you and May go down there and nose around.

It's a pretty good drive, so you are going to need a car. Come by here tomorrow and pick up the Ford. In the meantime get a copy of the Senator's staff credit card. Put all your expenses on the card while you are gone. Be sure you talk to anyone who might have known her.

May: Where do we start?

She seemed to be lost. Eddie took a deep breath but he didn't speak.

Mike: Did you know that the woman who was leading Swamp Dog, when all this American Foreign Legion shit came out, was once Sheriff of the County where Farmer's Grove is located? It was back in the old days when they still had Sheriffs.

Maybe we could ask around about the Porter woman and just let it go to Rose Seabold. It's a start anyway. It gives us a known person to connect to Swamp Dog and maybe then we can connect Rose Seabold to Sylvia Porter.

Eddie: Okay Mike you guide the direction of the investigation but let May ask the questions. You keep me advised and I'll try to give you some direction but it's going to be mostly on you.

Leave from here tomorrow morning, so come prepared for a few days on the road. May can interface with the Federals there. Your Ankle bracelet just might make them less than cooperative. Besides she still has her DOJ ID card.

Mike's eyes were bright. He was thrilled with the assignment. May was less so, but she didn't mind getting away from DC for a while. She could handle Mike for sure. She also felt she could use the break from Tommy and Edith. The sex was great but she didn't want to give them time to get clingy. The road trip would allow for a cooling off period.

Salina: Bad news boss. There are no records on Rose Seabold on the island. According to the people I spoke to there was never a Rose Seabold on the island and certainly not in the prison there.

Eddie (More to himself than Salina): That is a little odd, but I guess there are lots of folks who would be willing to pay to keep her a secret. The billionaire for one, then of course it could be a political conspiracy if you believe in the dishonesty of politicians.

Don't much matter what happened back then, the DNA and Prints are missing. So now we have to look for another source of DNA or Fingerprints.

Give May and Mike a quick lecture on where they might find her DNA. You never can tell since that shit last forever. Hell give us all a lecture after lunch.

Everyone settled into their research projects until lunch. Then after lunch the meeting with Salina went well enough. Everyone had a pretty good idea where people left their DNA. Eddie always had a pretty good idea, but the others were a little surprised that DNA was not as easy to pull up as they made it sound on TV.

Wes: A word boss?

Eddie: Sure. (They walked to the stairwell. Eddie kept going until the were outside.)

Wes: What's that all about?

Eddie: Lucille had a camera installed on the stairwell. I'm pretty sure she doesn't trust that I will keep her up to date.

Wes: Should she trust you.

Eddie: Of course not, she is a political operative. Those kids are trained to trust no one. I am a former cop, so I was taught to be suspicious of everyone. I guess we are just being who we are.

Wes: Okay ... So I called a buddy in the CIA. He said about fifteen years ago Swamp Dog began taking jobs in the United States. One of them was bodyguard for some rap singer. Sylvia Porter was a contractor on the job. It might have been her first contact with the Dog. She would have had minimal contact with the real bad asses.

How she graduated from contractor babysitter for a rapper, to head the whole thing is beyond me. Nobody else understood it either. We are really going to need to talk to someone inside the organization back then to understand it.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.