Goodbye
Chapter 3: Confrontation of a Different Type

Copyright© 2014 by Barneyr

Laura was heating up the left over stew we had a couple of days ago. I baked some cornbread muffins that were in the freezer. We ate in silence. Mine because I was not going to say anything more. I think Laura was quiet because she was brooding hard about how to word her answer to James tonight.

Seven-thirty on the dot, the doorbell rang. I went to the door and opened it. James was about my height, with a slight paunch around the middle. I guess they call that middle age spread. He seemed fit until you saw him walk. He walked flat footed; there was no spring in his step. I hadn't really noticed that the other night and I wondered if I was going to have to resort to fists before the evening was over.

"Mr. Hughes, I understand that you have something to say to me face to face."

"Yes, I do, Mr. Hanson. I got your message and Glenn promptly quit on me this morning after speaking to you. You think your pretty tough with a smaller man. Let's see if your talk is as tough with someone your own size."

"Laura, you are looking a little rough. Has this man been assaulting you?"

"The only man that has ever assaulted me is you, James. And I want you to know right now it stops as of right now. Also I quit, I will get my personal things on Monday. I will also be filing a sexual harassment suit against you for what you have done to me and my marriage. I think my husband is going to sue you for alienation of affections and maybe even for your total disregard for your Policies and Procedures Manual. So, what do you think about that 'oh high and mighty' James Edwin Hughes? I think you need to leave our home. You are definitely not wanted here ever again."

James looked at Laura with wonder and awe on his face. You could tell he had never been spoken to like that from anyone, let alone a woman he had been fucking. His mouth was open and moving but no words were coming out. Then he started again with, "I will not stand here and be brow beat by some two bit whore like you."

"Mr. Hughes, I think that I will be writing the Texas State Bar Association and I'll include a copy of the document you wanted to intimidate my husband into signing. That might make the great and powerful Oz turn into just a small insignificant man behind a curtain of smoke. I believe you have met your match little man. Oh yeah, I may have some nice information for your wife as well. Now run along, little man. Your presence here is no longer wanted nor tolerated," Laura said.

I led a broken man to the door and he left creeping slowly out the driveway.

I turned back to the house and saw my wife slumped on the floor. She was out cold. I think that she had used every last bit of her reserves to stand up to that bully. I was extremely proud of her; she said her piece and stood her ground. Her decision was the right one. It was the one I had hoped for and she made it.

Now we have to get over the unfaithfulness and the lies. But if our love is strong enough we can make it. It might be a struggle but, if we work at it, we can survive.

When I was putting Laura to bed with some warm milk in her belly and a big kiss from me, she drifted off to slumber land. I had just gotten back the kitchen by the wall phone when it rang. I immediately grabbed it, hoping that Laura didn't wake.

"Hello?"

"Ross, this is Rob. How did things go at home?"

"I think that things will be alright. Mr. Hughes came over tonight and Laura read him the riot act. I think he was totally stunned by the backbone she showed him. I never even had to get into it with him at all. I was more like a butler opening the door when he rang and shutting it after he left. Laura did all of our talking.

"I sure I was a bug on the wall to see him stunned. I'll bet he hadn't been talked to like that very often.'

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.