Eden - Cover

Eden

Copyright© 2014 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 49

Igwanda was wrong in one respect; when the crippled weapons exploded twenty minutes later there were no fireworks, only three small puffs of smoke several hundred feet above Centerville. It was another hour before the communicator responded to Chavez' transmis­sion.

"All right, Igwanda, you win," he said sourly.

"I believe we all win, and so believe all the rest here on board," the colonel replied. He had instructed that the communication be put on the overhead and could hear his voice echoing remotely from other parts of the ship.

"You would think that," came the response. "I still think you're a pussy, you're all pussies, but you beat us straight up. Even got the communicator."

"There will of course be conditions on your return," Igwanda said.

"Fuck that. Dolly and I talked it over, and a life of confinement doesn't appeal to us. We're going out in style."

"May I ask—"

"Oh, you don't need to worry about your precious lander. It looks like it's going to be your way with these bugs after all, we left enough tracks that you'll be able to nail the rest of the Movement back home."

"What 'Movement?'" Igwanda asked.

"The Humans-First Movement. It's what we called ourselves. You might want to think about that name and what it signifies. Anyhow, if it has to be your way then we'd better leave you the tools to do the best you can, because it's all we can do for humans now."

"What do you plan?"

"You'll have to work a little," came Chavez' disembodied voice. "I'm putting this thing in orbit and in a couple of minutes we're going to step out. We'll leave the door open for you," he added ironically.

"I wish you would reconsider, Colonel," Igwanda said. "Or you, Capt. Dzenda. Please do not let Col. Chavez pressure you into a decision you do not choose."

"I'm not, Colonel," her small voice resonated on the overhead. "It's my choice. But sir, I do want to say one thing. I agree with Col. Chavez' decision or I wouldn't have done what I did, but I don't agree with what he said to you there in the port. I think you were a fine commanding officer, and it was an honor to serve with you, sir."

"And for me with you, Captain," he said. "You were an excellent trooper. Colonel, you are quite right that you were a shitty sergeant and a royal pain in my ass when you were playing at being one, but even so, and even though we disagree profoundly, you are an officer who brings honor to his eagles. I salute you both." And, to the astonishment of Meiersdottir, Ziang and Shaw in the communications compartment, he actually stood and snapped a salute.

"I guess we can say the same," said Chavez. "Damn, I wish we'd had you on our side. Well, the system says we've hit orbit, and it's time." There was a pause. "For the sake of the whole human race, I hope to hell your girlfriend's right and you can civilize these bugs," he said. Another pause. There was an abrupt hiss of escaping air and all was silent.

"Rest in peace," said Igwanda quietly. He reached over to snap off the overhead. "Well, Bernard, we have a lander to retrieve."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.