Eden - Cover

Eden

Copyright© 2014 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 42

"Well, that was something," said Meiersdottir. "You didn't tell me you planned to say anything like that."

"Actually I did not," he protested mildly in response to the perceived rebuke. "It came to me as I said it. But I think we need a wider consensus that what we are doing is worthwhile before we take further risks of that nature."

"I agree," she said. "Although I have my own view."

"So do I," he responded. "Especially after last night— uh, that is, I mean—"

She interrupted his stammering with a burst of gay laughter. "All right, Carlos, I trust you to think with the proper size head."

He grinned. "I will say you might tempt me otherwise, though."

"How sweet!" She kissed him.

"Anyhow," he continued, clearing his throat. "After seeing how deftly you negotiated those potential shoals, and the responses you drew from them, I have very little personal doubt that this course is very much worth pursuing. However, amid the herd of alligators—"

"Congregation," she interrupted.

"What?" he stopped, confused.

"Congregation of alligators. Like a pride of lions, gaggle of geese, murder of crows and so on. That's the word."

"How on Earth do you know that?"

"I've used the same joke in speeches. One day somebody challenged me. I looked it up."

"Oh," he said. "Religious fellows, are they, alligators?" She punched his arm. "All right, amid the congregation of alligators in which we find ourselves immersed, I want additional assessment. And thank you, in passing, for supporting me."

"You're welcome," she said. "Though I doubt there's much that will change my mind, not right now anyway."

"Well, supplemental input is always useful. Besides, it will help keep them occupied."

"What?" She looked at him in astonishment.

"I had not quite thought through the implications of yesterday's, er, revelation," he said. "Dr. Heisinger's remark—"

"Oh, that's just Gustav," she cut him off. "I've known him longer than you, and mostly he's quite sober and dignified, kind of a font-of-all-wisdom way about him. Every once in a while, though, especially if he's tired, he pops his ass on his shoulders and marches around a little. He always backs off if you push him, which is why I did."

"I have seen it. But there was substance at the heart this time," said Igwanda. "The fact is that they are being excluded, it is the Amanda-and-Carlos Show right now. I do not care to have them use our relationship as a lever to pressure me into allowing them back here until we are ready for them."

"'Ready for them?'" she questioned with a puzzled look. "You mean it's not just a security question?"

"Not altogether. Even if I feel reasonably confident that they would be safe, and I will know that much better after this morning, do we really want them here right now?"

She gazed at him, waiting.

"Amanda, yesterday's was a very variegated, lightly structured and far-reaching discussion," he told her. "It touched on a wide range of topics in various degrees of depth, leaving much unsaid. You presented everything very cogently to them, but I think you would agree that your discussion was very much from your individual point of view."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.