Eden - Cover

Eden

Copyright© 2014 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 35

"Colonel, are they gone?" asked Chavez over the communicator.

"Yes, Sergeant, you may speak now. Have you—"

"Are you insane, Colonel?" the sergeant burst out. "The lander is ready to go right now, we can have you safe on board in—"

"Sergeant, shut up," said Igwanda sharply. He still wasn't quite certain of Meiersdottir's intentions, but he'd had more than enough of Chavez' interference.

"But to spend the night camping out in the middle of thousands of—"

"Sergeant, do I seem to you stupid?" snapped Igwanda. He waited. "Well, Sergeant?"

"Er, no, sir, but—"

"Then I think it might be reasonable to conclude that I am fully aware of the risk of spending the night as I propose to, might it not?" he said coldly. "And that I am assuming that risk for a purpose I deem sufficiently valuable to warrant doing so? Unless, of course, you are serious in challenging my sanity. Are you?" Again he waited, demanding a response with his silence.

"No, sir, of course not." The sergeant's voice was thoroughly chastened.

"Good," said Igwanda briskly. "I do indeed recognize that the risk is not solely to myself and was, before your outburst, intending to consult with Dr. Meiersdottir. As with your permission"—a bit of pointed sarcasm crept into his tone—"I shall now do.

"Amanda," he turned to her, "my sergeant is not altogether wrong in his assessment. It is my belief that the threat I have presented is sufficient to hold these natives at bay, but that is mere hypothesis at this juncture. It is to verify or disprove that hypothesis, which may be critical to any future dealings we may have, that I feel it important for me to remain here, effectively unguarded in their midst." It was clear to him that Meiersdottir had not been deterred from her original goal of establishing relations with the aliens, but it was equally clear that there was no realistic chance of her achieving that objective if the two species remained in perpetual enmity and mutual distrust. Might as well find that out now as later, he thought.

"But although I spoke to Joe clearly about 'our' remaining, that was merely to avoid presenting any sense of indecision to him." he went on. "I know this is basically your program, but I cannot commit you to what I know is a risky undertaking, and if you would feel more comfortable having the lander come to retrieve you we shall arrange that."

"Are you done, Carlos?" asked Meiersdottir with a patient air.

"Well..." He was obviously taken aback.

"Good," she said. "You couldn't drag me off the planet in chains. Is that good enough?"

He let out a burst of laughter. "Sergeant," he said over the communicator in an amused tone, "I think you have your answer. The lander may stay there."

"Yes, sir," came Chavez' still-subdued voice.

"However," the colonel continued, amusement now gone from his voice, "we must consider the possibility that assuming this risk does in the end prove to be error—that either now or at some future time my threat proves insufficiently effective and another attack occurs."

"Well, Colonel, you've already said—"

"Yes, Sgt. Chavez, I know what I have said. I also know to whom I said it. And it is not what is to be done. Is Captain Ziang in the communications compartment?"

"I'm here, Colonel," came the captain's voice.

"Excellent," he said. "Captain, you agree that, in light of today's events, under terms of our rather complicated charter I have current command of the mission?"

"I agree."

"Then these are my instructions. Should the natives succeed in re-initiating hostilities toward us two, there is to be no further landing on this planet for any purpose whatever. Command will revert to you, Captain, and I urge you to return to Earth immediately. But under no circumstances is anyone else to attempt to set foot anywhere on Eden. You understand?"

"But if you're captured, Colonel, as they said they intended?" she asked. "Couldn't we use that interference signal again and come down to rescue you?"

"If we are attacked, I will obviously order the signal immediately re-commenced, or one of my troops will have started it in response to the sounds of combat over the communicator. Their success will therefore mean the signal has failed. We caught them by surprise with it before, and it may be they have means of circumventing the interference given some advance warning. No, I believe it would be highly imprudent to essay any further land­ing.

"As to being captured, I intend to use all means to prevent that. All means, if you understand. In any case, without sustenance we would have only a few weeks to live. So attempt no rescue, it is simply too hazardous for just our two lives. You agree and accept, Aman­da?"

Meiersdottir nodded. "She nods yes. In particular, make no effort to implement the threat I have made to them. It is not in our province to make that decision. Even under extreme provocation, I will not be judge and executioner of an entire species; that choice must be left to those on Earth with greater wisdom than I. Again, you agree, Amanda?"

"You know that," said Meiersdottir.

"Yes," he said. "Is that acceptable, Captain?"

"As you say, you're in command, Colonel," came Ziang's voice.

"But is it acceptable?" he persisted. "In the circumstances I have postulated I will be unable to oversee how my orders are discharged."

"Yes, it's acceptable," said Ziang. "I think it would be my own decision as well, no matter how reluctant. I'll do as you say."

"Very well," he said. "It is my opinion that this is not a likely set of events. I have no doubt at this point that they would seek to carry out their original plan if they felt they safely could, but I think they are cowed. Even if they have some effective defense against the interference signal, the prospect of the females being killed should hold them at bay. But I must allow for all possibilities."

"It's agreed."

"Thank you. I have nothing more. Amanda," he said, turning to her, "this is now for you. I assume you would like to talk to your colleagues."

"Yes," she said immediately. "John, Gustav, Wanda— hell, everyone. Can this be piped through the Gardener?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.