Eden - Cover

Eden

Copyright© 2014 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 9

It was three nights after that meeting that Igwanda decided it was time to investigate something that had caught his attention. He waited until 0230 hours to begin moving; he had no wish to draw anyone else's notice.

Although the ship's clocks still kept to the solar rhythm—specifically, Greenwich Mean Time—some among its crew had already begun to disregard them and sleep or wake as they heuristically chose. Still, Igwanda knew from past explorations that for the most part the common areas were deserted in what the clocks said were the "wee, small hours of the morning." If he encountered anyone he was prepared to plead insomnia and return to his quarters. But he did not, and he passed along a sequence of seldom-used service passages to his destination.

Only a few minutes were needed to uncover the truth of what he had come to see. He grimaced in disgust. Then he sighed; equipment would be needed, and it would take some time. Since he hoped to return to his quarters as unobserved as he had come, some degree of haste would also be required.

Even as knowledgeable as he was about his task, it took almost a full three hours to finish his work and eradicate its traces. It was 0600; if he could return unnoticed to the common area, it would be better to seem as if he were taking an early breakfast than to try to retreat all the way to his quarters. His caution was rewarded when he entered the dining compartment to find his sergeant, Ignacio Chavez, breaking fast with Senior Trooper Carol van Damm.

"Good morning, Sergeant, Trooper," he said easily.

Both started to stand until Igwanda waved them back down. "At ease," he said.

"You're awake early, sir," Chavez commented.

"The clock means less here, Sergeant," he said. "I am accustomed to early risings. On occasion I revert. At ease, and enjoy your breakfasts." He took coffee and a small pastry as usual, even though his exertions had given him an appetite for considerably more, and retreated to his own cabin as was his wont.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.