Autobiography of an Author (Me)
Chapter 4: Back in the Saddle Again

Copyright© 2014 by Stepdad

My doctor and I had agreed my vacation would end on August 19th. That was the day that I went in for some more chemo. This time they are using a new formulation which includes something I believe is called taxol. This is a new one I have not had before.

Well, let me tell you, this is how it went. My favorite nurse, Nikki, (she says the only one who calls her Nichole is her mother when she is mad) was doing the infusion. She had to sit with me for the first fifteen minutes to make sure I didn't have an immediate bad reaction. It went smooth and we chatted about things. She showed me some pictures of her new puppy, which, by the way, has grown to the size of a small horse.

I made it all the way through that session with no ill effects at all. I got back home and the next day I was sleepy but able to function somewhat. The next day is when all hell broke loose. I felt like doo-doo and could just barely walk. I had to try to walk since my two cats needed to be fed. They don't understand when Daddy feels like death warmed over they might have to go hungry for a day. Later I needed to go to the grocery store but that was definitely out of the question. The numbness in my fingers and feet got worse. My feet felt like they were encased in concrete overshoes and my hands felt like I was wearing very thick gloves. Figuring there was something wrong; I sent a message to my doctor about how I was doing. His assistant told me that they are going to stop the chemo and for me to take another two weeks to recover some more.

Okay, the numbness did get a little better so I only had to use the electric shopping cart two times. Now I can walk almost as good as a toddler.

I think I mentioned that I am using tube feeding. Guess what! The tube started leaking and I had to go to the other doctor to see what was going on. It happened on a weekend so I missed out on three days of feeding and only took in what I could swallow. My weight dropped about four pounds in the process and I was getting worried. I jammed as much as I could into my mouth but it was not enough to keep me going and consequently I did not gain back the lost weight.

The doctor, on Monday, determined that the balloon on my tube needed to be inflated some more. That taken care of I resumed my tube feedings of four cans each night. (I run the pump at night while I am sleeping.) Well, if wonders will never cease; I started to gain back some weight and I am happy to report that I now weigh (author leaves the computer for as minute to step on the scale and returns) 163.8 pounds. My normal weight for so many years has been 165 pounds so I'm getting there.

I'm supposed to meet with the doctor on September 4th to discuss our options for further treatment. Okay, I know there are no guarantees as to what side effects I will have but at least they are listening to me. I'm feeling a little tired so I think I will get my cat and take a nap in my recliner chair. Bye for now and I'll see you in the next chapter.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.