Aging Well
Chapter 30 [Sandy writes]

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

I knew I looked good in the dress. I had seen how I looked in the mirror and watched Pam and Becky as they saw me. Jack’s eyes never left me for an instant. I could see tears in his eyes. I had tears in mine because he looked so good and because of the look I was receiving from him.

“Sandy, you’re beautiful!” He folded me in his arms, holding me tightly and nuzzling my ear.

“Darling, we have to get to the church! We can’t be late for our own wedding!” I smiled at him. “Do you have the rings?” He nodded. “Let’s go then! A marriage ceremony must be performed and we must celebrate!”

We left in Jack’s convertible with the top down as usual. It was a beautiful day for a marriage! We got there at two forty! I went into the ladies’ room to run a brush through my short hair.

We then met with Reverend Robert in his office. He said, “You’re still planning to walk down together?” We nodded. He smiled. “Very well, I’ll be at the altar waiting for you. Let’s pray before you have to get in the line-up!” He prayed for each of us and for our union. He shook Jack’s hand while I hugged him and gave him a kiss.

We went around and into the bride’s parlor together where Becky and Pam were sitting. They were waiting while John and Mark were seating people.

Stella came flying in. She said, ‘The church is packed! Sandy, you are lovely! I just want to cry! Becky, you look lovely! You do, too, Pam! You’re Jack’s son’s wife, aren’t you?! I met you this morning! It’s going to be a beautiful wedding! I’ve got to go while there are still seats!” As quickly as she came in, she went back out.

‘Pam was looking at the door with her mouth open in shock. I said, “Stella is like that. She’s also never seen a sentence that she can’t end with an exclamation point.”

Pam was almost dazed. “Wow! She does leave you feeling a little out of breath.”

We all laughed quietly. Reverend Robert’s wife, Jean, came to the door and said, “It’s time.” We went outside to be met by John and Mark.

Mark gave me a hug and a light kiss on my cheek. “Sandy, you are a beautiful bride.”

John was next and kissed my lips and hugged me saying, “Sandy Mom, you are beautiful. I’m so happy for you and for Dad. Thank you. Break a leg!”

Becky and Mark led off. They had hugged and kissed shyly. After they took their places, John and Pam went down the aisle. When they were in place, Reverend Robert raised his hands for everyone to stand and Claudia changed the music to an even more stately march.

I put my arm through Jack’s and we went slowly down the aisle side by side. I noticed Stella and Don, our Sunday school teacher, Pam’s parents, Chastity and Gretchen, most of our Sunday school class and many more people from the church. I saw Jack’s parents and his brothers and sisters and their children. To my surprise, I saw Bert, looking uncomfortable in a coat and tie! I waved at him and blew him a kiss.

We arrived at the altar. We went through our vows.

I changed mine to add “obey” to my part. That was old-fashioned and hadn’t been part of my vows previously nor quite what I was supposed to repeat after Reverend Robert. It just felt right to say that now.

Both Jack and Reverend Robert’s heads jerked up. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Pam’s eyes widen and Becky’s jaw drop. Reverend Robert didn’t miss a beat and led us though exchanging rings, and our first kiss as a married couple.

It was my first kiss as Missus Sandra Norris!

Claudia began to play the recessional and my husband and I led off. I looked at Jack’s face and his smile was as big and happy as mine! We all gathered in the narthex while Reverend Robert gave directions to the fellowship hall for the reception.

The six of us went to the fellowship hall to form a receiving line. One of our Sunday school class members had volunteered to take pictures and send us a CD. We could print what we wanted. We would receive them later but I was happily surprised at the high quality. There were two that I would print and even frame but all that would happen later.

Thankfully, I had met most of Jack’s family. Otherwise, I would have been overwhelmed by the crowd.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.