Aging Well - Cover

Aging Well

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 23 [Jack writes]

I headed to my parents’ home. I knew the route well and the miles went by quickly. With the time change, we pulled into their drive only a half hour later than the usual eating time. We got out and my parents, my older brother, and his wife came out to hug us and welcome us. I grabbed our suitcases and raised the top and we went inside.

Sandy was an immediate hit with my dad and my brother. To my surprise, Joyce, my sister in-law liked her. I was a little concerned when I saw her among the greeters because she had been friendly to my ex. My mom and dad and brother were all talking to Sandy and Joyce took a moment to talk to me.

She said, “I talked to Becky a few days ago. She explained everything. I was taken in. I’m sorry for my prior attitude. Sandy looks like the wonderful woman that you deserve and you obviously care for each other. I learned something that I will keep. I must look deeply at people and not accept face values.

“Congratulations, Jack. Becky loves her almost as much as you do.”

She detached from our hug and moved next to her husband while I moved next to my fiancé and put my arm around her waist.

Dad said, “Sarah, we can talk around the table. I’m starving!”

Mother said, “Andrew, it would do you good to miss a few meals. However, it’s on the table and ready. Let’s eat.”

We gathered around the table with Sandy to my dad’s right and me beside her. Dad said, “Let’s pray.” We all held hands while Dad thanked God for the food, our guest who would soon be family, and the rest of the family. After a group “amen,” we passed the platters and dug in. Mother’s cooking was good as always.

She is a country cook. Mom looked over at Sandy and said, “Becky says you’re a great cook, among other talents.”

Sandy said, “I try but this is so good! My mashed potatoes never turn out this good.”

“Thank you.”

Joyce said, “Becky tells me that you sew.”

“Yes.”

I said, “She sews most of her clothes. Becky and Pam wanted to know where she shopped for clothes. She made this outfit. I know what she packed. All of it is her handiwork.”

Sandy said, “I’m going to make him some shirts. Men’s pants are too much trouble though.”

I grinned and said, “I can always stop wearing them.”

Sandy said, “Jack, you are crazy.”

I had to say it. “Sanity is so-o overrated.”

“Keep your pants on.”

Dad said, “I will have to show you my new hobby after supper.”

“Dad,” I said, “it sounds like you’re trying to change the subject.”

Sandy said, “He just doesn’t want to have to watch me kill you right in front of your family.”

“Yes, dear.” We finished our meal, enjoying talking together.

“Mister Norris, please take us to your new hobby.” Sandy was half in jest. I had to admit that I was interested, too. Dad picked new hobbies rarely and they were always interesting.

We went into one of the unused bedrooms. The bed had been removed and a table was in the room with electronic equipment on it. I could see wires going out the window. I could see microphones. “Dad, this looks way too complicated to be CB, but is radio of some kind.”

Sandy exclaimed, “I know what that is. It’s ham radio. I recognize the Kenwood 440. My father was a ham. He had a 430 in his shack!”

“Do you remember his call sign?” asked my dad.

No, sir. It’s been at least ten years since he was on the air. The gear was sold when he and my mother went into assisted living. What’s your call and what class license do you have?”

[Ed. Note—Look on the ARRL web site. Call signs are distributed geographically. Georgia is in area 4 and Mississippi in 5. When this story was written, the call signs used were not in actual use.]

Dad said, “I just passed my Extra test. I got a vanity call right after I became a general class. It’s W5AVN for my initials.”

“That is so cool! Mister Norris, are you a member of any nets?”

“Call me Andrew, please. You are going to be part of the family very soon.”

Sandy looked at him with a hint of a smile. “I would rather call you Dad, if that’s okay with you.”

“Sandy, I will be honored. Come on in and sit down.”

She said, “Thank you, Dad.” There were only two chairs in the room and I made to let her sit with me standing behind her. She looked at me. “I need a lap, Jack.” I smiled and sat down. She sat in my lap facing my father. “Dad, is there a net going on?”

He grinned. “There is always a net or a rag chew going on somewhere. We’ll try the Country Cousins Net on eighty meters. It’s a little early but someone will be there.” He flipped switches explaining as he went. “First is the power supply. Second is the radio. I just tune the frequency since I’m already on eighty meters.” We heard voices! “Sandy, would you like to talk?”

“Will they talk to me, Dad?”

“Hun, you have a beautiful female voice. Use my call sign as control operator. Catch a pause and say ‘contact.’ Then introduce yourself.”

“Contact” she said at a pause.

A voice said, “Go ahead, Contact.”

She said, “This is Sandy with Andrew as control operator, W5AVN.”

“I know Andrew. This is Bert. You sound much better than he does. Tell us about yourself. W5AVN, K5GSA.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.