Aging Well - Cover

Aging Well

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 21 [Jack writes]

We used the morning to move my clothes and the camper. We spent time arranging the closet and some drawers to give me some room. I left most of my suits and ties in my condo. We would figure out the details later. We also moved the camper. I switched the locations of the remotes for the visor and glove box. We had a lot of fun moving clothes and even the camper.

We were ready to leave and I added two stops to the list, my bank and lunch.

At the bank, I cashed a check for a few hundred. I was running low and remembered the marriage license required cash. We caught lunch at a small restaurant close to the courthouse.

At the courthouse, we had all our papers in order and the license was quickly processed. We were given the license and instructions for handling it after the ceremony. We left with the license and instructions in a fresh, new folder and put everything in the trunk.

I drove us to the hospital. We went inside and found my ex’s room. Sandy said, “Go ahead. I will be right outside. If you need me, I will come if you call me.”

I nodded and went in the partially closed door after knocking. She was sitting up watching TV. When she saw me, she cut the TV off and said, “Hello, Jack. Thank you for coming.”

I said, “Hello, Mavis. Becky says you’re doing better.” My ex still showed bruises from her mistreatment on every inch of her body that I could see. She had lost weight and looked haggard.

“Don’t kid me, Jack. I look like hell and will for months. I guess I got what I deserved.”

“Mavis, no one deserves to be treated like that.”

“Thank you. I put myself in the situation. I have learned though. It is way too late for us, isn’t it?”

“Yes.” I intentionally didn’t volunteer anything.

“Becky has told me she is a wonderful person.” I nodded. “Jack, I asked you to come here simply because I need to apologize to you for the way I treated you. I am very, very sorry. You never deserved it and your patience and forbearance makes my current level of guilt a heavy burden. I wish you every happiness in the future.”

“Thank you. It will all work out. I hope you do well in the future, too.”

“Is your lady friend here? I would like to say ‘hello’ and wish the two of you joy.”

“My fiancé, Sandy, is outside.” I raised my voice. “Sandy, would you come in for a moment?”

Sandy came in saying, “Yes, darling.”

My ex said, “Good luck, Sandy. I was stupid not to appreciate him and treat him as I should have. I wish the two of you joy in your lives together.” She looked back at me. “Jack, thanks again for coming and hearing me. Have a good life. You’re a better man than I deserved. Maybe I can straighten my life out and find a good man in the future.

“Did Becky tell you that I am selling the house?”

“Yes.”

“I’m going to get away and start over. I’m going to move somewhere I’m not known and try being a good person who will be attractive to good people.

“Good bye, Jack. Thank you for getting him to come Sandy. I hope your lives will be happy together.”

I said, “Good bye, Mavis.” Sandy and I left, holding hands.

As we left the hospital, Sandy said, “She needed that. It was a good thing for you to have done, Jack.” She brought her hand over and gave my arm a squeeze.

“I’m sorry for her. She was always proud of her looks. I hope she heals and does well. If she plans to start afresh, moving far away will be a good idea. She has no ties to Macon other than Becky and John that she should maintain.”

We got in the car and I drove us to the grocery store.

We parked and went inside. I handled the cart, following her delectable backside as she picked items and put them in the cart. She noticed that I was looking and grinned. I grinned back.

She mentioned that she was buying for through Sunday afternoon. She said that we would shop for our honeymoon either Friday or Saturday. I paid and we left for the condo. We enjoyed unloading my car and putting food away. We touched and fondled each other the entire time. Sandy said, “We have plenty of time. Let’s lay out.”

I shrugged and we went upstairs to change. It takes a long time to change clothes if you have a beautiful, naked woman in the room with you. It’s even more difficult when you’re in love with her. We did finally make it outside to catch some sun in our suits though Sandy didn’t wear the green string bikini. She still looked fabulous!

It was late afternoon when my phone rang. It was Becky. “Dad, may I come over and tell you about my day!” I had to hold the phone out from my ear. She seemed so happy.

I looked and Sandy nodded. “Come on. We’re in back lying out catching some sun. The front door isn’t locked.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in a minute!” It took more like five but she came steaming out the back door announcing, “Look who’s here!”

We looked up and saw a smiling Pam and John walking out the door following her. They were holding hands. We scrambled up. Pam ran to us hugged us both tightly. “Thank you! Thank you for giving me hope. We’re going to work it out!”

We sat around the little table outside. Pam and John were holding hands and smiling. Becky was smiling. Sandy and I were smiling. She was in my lap. Having my beautiful fiancé sitting on my lap wearing a skimpy bathing suit was very good. With everyone else happy, that made it better if possible.

I looked at Pam and John. “Okay, you two. Tell all.”

John said, “I guess I will start. I went into my boss’s office and told him that my marriage was more important than my job. I said that I wanted an immediate leave of absence or would quit without notice. I continued to tell him that, if I came back, it would be as an engineer not as a pencil-pushing managerial idiot. He looked at me and said that I should call him and we would see what could be worked out. When I left, he shook my hand.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.