Aging Well - Cover

Aging Well

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 19 [Jack writes]

Missus Harmon said, “Sandy, how did you meet our Jack?”

“He moved into the condominium complex where I’ve been living. On a Monday, we met while coming back from our morning runs. When he was leaving later on an errand, I managed to invite myself along. The rest is history.”

Pam said, “That is so cool and romantic. When did you meet John and Becky?”

Sandy said, “Jack took me out for dinner and dancing Friday a week ago. Becky had asked John to take her out. She knew you were here but didn’t know about the issues you were having. I think both of them were surprised to see me with Jack and were even more surprised to hear what I had to say about him. My favorite story so far about Jack happened about a week and a half ago.

“He wanted to go somewhere different and maybe hoped to meet me on my run. I run down to a park that has running trails. I just caught a glimpse of him going down a trail. We both heard a scream. As he went out of my sight, I saw him speed up. By the time I caught up with him, he had found a young woman who tripped and broke her leg. He had already comforted her and had started back with her. He had never met her before but you could tell that she absolutely trusted him and wasn’t happy when he stayed with me and didn’t ride in the ambulance to the hospital with her. John and Becky didn’t know about that and never would if I hadn’t told them.

“Becky went with us to church last Sunday and was in shock. The members of the Sunday school class were bragging to her about his knowledge of scripture and his ability to quote it as well as discuss it in the Greek.

“His memory is a little bit terrifying. I saw that this morning when he dialed your number from memory and was accurate to the minute about travel time.

“He is an amazing dancer, reads music and sings the bass part well.”

Pam said, “I never understood why his former wife and kids didn’t see any of this.”

“I think they just missed it because Jack doesn’t talk about himself easily. He’s more interested in hearing and caring about others.”

Missus Harmon said, “When Pam and John were married, we met his folks and brothers and sister. We quickly found that they weren’t rednecks like Mavis had suggested. They know their son and brother and appreciate him. I know Ned and I do and Pam does, too. When she told us that John seemed to blame him for the divorce, we were shocked. I think that was the beginning of Pam’s difficulties with John.”

I said, “I’m sorry, Pam. I wouldn’t want to cause you and John problems.”

Pam began to cry softly. I looked at Sandy. She said, “It wasn’t your fault, Jack. The situation just demonstrated to her how flawed John’s judgment was.”

“He was just judging by what he knew. It wasn’t his fault.”

Mister Harmon said, “Pamela, go wash your face and go with them to lunch.”

Pam stood and left the room. Missus Harmon said, “Sandy, where do you shop? Those clothes are exquisite and fit you well.”

I grinned broadly. “She gets them at Sandra’s sewing room in her home. She’s a very able seamstress with great taste in fabric and fit. Color comes natural to her since she paints.”

Sandy glared at me with a smile. “That was clever. You bragged on me and adroitly moved the subject off you at the same time. It doesn’t matter. We all know you’re wonderful.”

All of us laughed. Missus Harmon said, “Jack, Sandy, I’m glad for you. Let us know the place and the time. We want to come dance at your wedding.

“Now, take our daughter to lunch and show her there is hope with John.”

Mister Harmon added, “Julie is right. She just needs hope and you two can give it to her.”

Pam came out with a freshly scrubbed face and we left. We got in Jack’s car and Sandy said, “Pam, what are you hungry for?”

Pam said quietly, “Hope.”

“Jack, take her over where the camper place is.”

We went to the Chinese buffet and were seated. Our drink orders were taken and we served our plates. We sat down and Sandy prayed for our time together.

As we began to eat, Sandy said, “This is where it all started. I met Jack that morning and invited myself to help shop for a camper. The sales guy suggested this place. Jack blessed the meal and I began to care for him from that minute.”

Pam said, “What has that got to do with John and me?”

Sandy said, “Jack did what was right. John had an awakening and is learning what is right. Do you know what he is doing Monday?”

“No. I haven’t wanted to talk to him because all he does is talk.”

“Monday morning, he is going into work to abandon his job. His plan is to tell his boss that he has a priority in saving his marriage with the woman he loves. Secondly, if they will have him back, it will be as an engineer not a pencil-pushing manager. He’s gotten that far in a few days. Of course, I pushed him and he knows it. We told him before we left to go camping that he needed to take some time and figure out what was important. Then, he needed to concentrate on what was important. He and Becky have both learned a lot about their father this week. John has the potential to be as good a man as his father. I also think he truly loves you. He plans to ask you for a date. Jack and I ask you to get to know the new man that is your husband. He doesn’t want you to roll over but he does want another chance.”

I said, “In our talking with him, I asked him if he was prepared to lay everything else on the line for what and who were really important in his life. He said that he was and would. He loves you, Pam. He will really try. Extend a little hope and reap the rewards.”

Sandy said, “Both of us thought our chances for joy were past us. We were willing to hope and the rewards are beyond what we could have dreamed.”

Tears were streaming down Pam’s face. She said, “I so want to believe. I always told him the money wasn’t important. Our lives together are important. Oh, if only he will act!”

I said, “He will. Just give him time and extend a little hope for the two of you.”

“Jack, you make it sound so easy.”

I smiled. “It is from the outside looking in. On the other hand, you and John have a loving history that just needs revitalizing. You both want to do that. I don’t think either of you are too proud to be honest that you want your marriage to work and will do what it takes to fix it and to make it work.”

Sandy said, “John will call you. Talk to him. Go on a date. Of course, you may wind up in bed with him. Try to make it good for him.” She took a deep breath. “Jack is so busy trying to please me when we make love that he would forget his own pleasure except that I am trying just as hard to make sure I please him.” She grinned. “It works out pretty well except it’s so fantastic that I want more even when my body wants to stop.

“Becky asked me in John’s presence if Jack is a good lover. I answered that he’s good when he’s tired. When he’s not tired, he’s fantastic. Actually, it’s better than that but I don’t know how to describe it. I just know that he gives my feelings his full attention when we make love.” Then she added with a slight sense of wonder in her voice, “I was in love with him even before that though.” The main talk was over and Pam was on board. All John had to do was follow through.

Pam was interested in Sandy’s knowledge of the cooking and ingredients in the sushi and other items in our meal. Sandy said, “We’ll invite the two of you over for an Oriental meal one night. I like to cook ethnic foods. I think I’m pretty good on American food but the flavors and styles of food preparation from different countries are exciting and interesting.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.