Aging Well
Chapter 10 [Sandy writes]

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

His dancing was delightful. It was easy to follow his lead. I realized that I was very willing to follow him.

The combo started a Bossa Nova. I said, “Can you Bossa Nova?”

He gave me that smile that I was coming to like very well. “Actually, yes. I enjoy it.”

We started to sway with the music. He does know how! He was also easy to follow in this dance also. I enjoyed it. We were both a little out of breath from the exercise and our meals so we sat down at our table and sipped our wine.

Jack said, “When I was in college, I needed an elective and took ballroom dancing. I had never enjoyed dancing before but I learned and enjoy getting on the floor. Where did you learn?”

“After college, I wanted to improve my social skills. I was very bashful in a dancing situation. I took classes. I was even asked if I wanted to teach part-time though I declined. You are good. It’s easy to follow your lead.”

He grinned fiendishly. “Maybe I can lead you into temptation.”

“Maybe you can.” I grinned back. Two can play at that game, I thought.

We danced on and off during that first set. As time went on, more people came into the room. The floor never truly became crowded. That was particularly true when some of the less known dances were played.

We were having a great time when a young couple came in. The young man looked startlingly like Jack. I watched them and noted that they had a curious look about them that I didn’t understand. I said, “Interesting.”

“What’s interesting?”

“Jack, a young man just came in who looks much like you.”

His eyebrows went up. He was curious. “Where?”

I said, “On the other side of the dance floor two tables from the wall. His back is to us. The woman he is with is a busty blonde.”

Jack’s back was to them. He casually looked over that way and muttered, “Shit!” He looked troubled. He whispered to me, “The blonde is my daughter and the guy is my son.”

I said, “Oh! Should we leave?”

“No. We’re having fun. I’m not ready to end this evening unless you are for reasons unrelated to my children being here. We are doing nothing wrong and I will not be intimidated by their presence.” The combo started a slow song. “Will you dance with me?”

“Yes, Jack. I would love to.” We stood and I moved into his arms. We swayed gently to the music enjoying each other’s presence. I did notice his children talking together like good friends. About half way through the song, they got up to dance. I was debating in my mind what to do when we came close to each other.

The young man immediately recognized his father. “Dad!”

Jack turned and said, “Hello, John, Becky.” He paused for a moment. He continued, “Please meet Sandy Edwards. I met her after moving into my new condo. Sandy, these are my children, John and Becky.”

John offered me his hand. I shook it and said, “It’s good to meet you. Jack has said good things about both of you. It was nice to meet someone around my age in the complex.”

John said, “Please join us for a few minutes if you don’t mind.”

Jack was silent. I said, “That would be good. Where are you sitting?” He pointed and led. I took Jack’s hand and he followed me. We sat down with Jack opposite his daughter who had said nothing thus far.

I decided to charge forward. “I saw him move in. We met on a Monday while running after he set the place up.

“I enjoy running. It’s restful to my mind.”

Becky had a sulky look about her. She asked, “You met him after he moved in? Didn’t you know him from work?”

“No. Why would I?”

“I thought he had gone out on Mom.”

“I haven’t known him long but I haven’t seen anyone at his place but me when I welcomed him.” I intentionally looked puzzled.

Jack said, “Where’s Pam?”

John answered, “She’s out of town at her parents for a week. Becky called and asked if I would take her out. She moved in with Mom after her company went out of business about two or three weeks ago. I go up tomorrow to pick up Pam and spend the rest of the weekend there.”

Becky said, “This is difficult. Dad, I owe you an apology. Mom was cheating on you, wasn’t she?” Jack nodded slowly. “Mister Wilson met me a few days ago when I was out walking and told me that you caught them. He said that you were a gentleman though you took pictures. He also said that he didn’t blame you for moving because Mom had done most of the neighborhood. I told Mom about that and she was embarrassed but admitted it.

“Dad, why didn’t you say anything?”

Jack took a deep breath. “Your mother wouldn’t stop. He wasn’t the first neighbor I caught her with. She didn’t contest the divorce so I didn’t need the pictures. I tried to be fair to her financially. You and John chose sides and really didn’t seem interested in hearing from me. Pam was the only one who even seemed to think I might not be the bad guy.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.