Wizard - Cover

Wizard

Copyright© 2014 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 11

Mum, Aunty Mary, Taff and I travelled over to meet Taffy's folk. I was glad to get out off the car, by the time we reached their home, between 'girl' talk and not too subtle comments about our age difference, I was just about ready to explode.

After introductions, Ted gave me the wink and suggested we let the women do their secret business while we men folk discussed the merits of a few different brands of beer, an Aussie tradition deeply seated in the male psyche.

Finally, all the arrangements were made and a date was set for the wedding. Mum wanted a church wedding but I firmly put my foot down, Taff and I had discussed weddings prior to making it known we were heading down that track. Neither of us were religious and thought it a bit two faced to have a church service. Mum got all weepy but we stood our ground, in the end she capitulated. Dad had never been churchy, that was made clear at his funeral. I respected Mum's religious leanings but this was not about her.

All the invitations were sent, it was decided to hold the ceremony at the lake house and provide busses so everyone who drank didn't have to drive home. All of the employees were invited plus a few valued business contacts. Brian was my best man and as Ted escorted his daughter down the aisle I knew I was doing the right thing. Taffy was Ted's daughter.

Like most of these affairs, the women got weepy and the men got merry, strange creatures women. The wedding went off without a hitch, Taffy and I breathed a huge sigh of relief when it was all over.


We had a brief honeymoon and then it was back to running a business. As we neared the completion of the village project, Taff started to get a bit snappy, I spoke to Jack about it.

"I've tried to slow her down Tony, she just digs in. She seems to think the place will stop if she's not here."

"What's going to happen when the babies are born, does she think she will be back at work the next day?"

I made a quick call to Jayne who decided to pay us a visit.

"You, young lady. Are pushing yourself too hard, you, have to think about the twins you are carrying; the job can be done by someone else, you, need a break."

"Your mums right Taff, the babies are far more important than any job. You've done a great job of all the planning and materials ordering, now's the time to sit back; all the hard work has been done, the rest can be handled by someone else."

"I know, but it's important the everything runs smoothly, no one else can do it right, I'm irreplaceable--"

"Just a minute young lady, NO ONE is irreplaceable, it may be a bit difficult without you but by no means are you irreplaceable."

"I'm not stopping Mum, that's that."

"Taffy, on paper I own two thirds of the company, that makes me your BOSS, I'd hate to give my daughter the sack. What I suggest is we get you an assistant to do all the general work and you slow down, if Tony thinks you are still overdoing it then I will suspend you until after the births-- OK?"

"OK, but I still want to be involved in the project."

"And so you will be Taff, but not by burning yourself out."


The project was nearing completion. Taff had taken heed to Jayne and my concerns and had backed off her workload dramatically. The lady we hired to assist her was very competent and a word in her ear about making Taff slow down bore fruit. Taff still grumbled a bit, I put this down to pre birth jitters, something I was experiencing as well. First time father syndrome.

A week before the due date, Jayne arrived and told her to finish up.

"Are you giving me the sack Mum?" Taff enquired with a smile.

"No young lady, you are now suspended until further notice. We'll see how things are after the twins are born and you're back on your feet. Who knows, you might even enjoy being a stay at home mum."


Ted was stuck back at home, the paper mill was having a major maintenance shutdown; Ted being the senior maintenance supervisor was in charge. To say he was pissed off at not being here when the babies arrived, would be an understatement. He did manage however to drive over between shifts.

After a strenuous birth, the twins arrived; two beautiful little girls, no birth defects, the thing that had been giving me night terrors. Jayne also heaved a huge sigh of relief, no doubt having the same fears.

Ted was there when we brought the girls out, he held his granddaughters with a smile that threatened to split his face in two.

We had decided to name them Kate and Cassie.

"Thank you kids, this would have to be the most beautiful moment in my life, they are exquisite. Sadly, I have to go back to the mill, but rest assured, I intend on being a big part in these little ladies life."

"Drive carefully Ted and give the house a ring when you get home."

"Will do, see you in a few days time."

Taffy was starting to look like she needed to rest, it had been a hectic time for her. Jayne and I said our goodbyes and told her we would visit in the evening.

Back at the house, the whole chain of events caught up with me. Starting with Jelka and I breaking up, meeting and being captivated by Taffy, only to find out after she was pregnant, then she was my genetic daughter, the relief to find there was no genetic defects when the babies were born, meeting Jayne plus the stress of organising the mine village, It all came crashing down on me.

I just sat down and bawled my eyes out.

"What is it Tony, you should be on top of the world?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.