Magician - Cover

Magician

Copyright© 2014 by QM

Chapter 105

The Council chamber listened quietly as Morgana went over the progress of the war and its prosecution. Not that a lot was currently happening in the way of fighting, both sides were in a period of consolidation, with Queen Verenestra having the harder time of it, such was the vast increase in the territory she had to more or less police, no matter the new-found loyalty of the subjects therein.

“So the thought is to eventually reduce the fortresses one by one until we win?” Mage Cixi enquired.

“Yes, Mage Cixi. Though as yet we don’t have a plan as to how we could go about it,” Morgana replied. “Also we cannot do that at Keldravan, it’s a sacred site to the Sidhe of both sides and Verenestra will not countenance its destruction.”

“So more Mages will die, despite the fact that Verenestra has won?” Mage Sofya asked snarkily.

“The war is far from over. It sets a very bad example to turn your back on an ally,” Morgana responded coolly.

“Some ally, she uses others profligately whilst preserving her own,” Sofya answered.

“Total casualty tally is one thousand seven hundred and sixty-two other races, to twenty-five thousand three hundred and five Sidhe,” Julia stated. “I’m not sure where you get the idea that we are being used badly, Mage Sofya. Certainly the figures appear to show you to be extremely mistaken,” she finished, all but implying that Sofya was a lying idiot.

“Data can be massaged to imply anything,” Sofya airily replied. “You forget I saw how our people were used as bait in the battle for the forts.”

“I’m surprised you saw anything, cowering in a bunker,” Julia snapped back.

“Along with your Seers,” Sofya replied just as angrily. “I was able to gather the full picture from them, rather than just a snapshot.”

“Funny how none of the Seers recall you asking them anything,” Julia responded.

“Well, you would say that, wouldn’t you? After all you are the one putting them in danger,” Sofya hit back.

“Like they gave us a choice,” Julia chuckled darkly, making a good few of us smile at the Seers’ attempt at breaking with tradition.

“You are in charge of them. You could have ordered them to remain at a safe distance,” Sofya replied airily, implying that the tail was wagging the dog.

“One does not tell the Seers anything; one asks,” Julia answered coolly.

“Very true,” Simon chuckled. “I wasn’t any too happy to be told of their decision to move to a position of high risk myself. But in the face of a mass resignation plus the promise to do it anyway, I ‘graciously’ had to permit it, as if I really had a choice too.”

“And permitting a Seer to join a combat group run by a mere journeyman seems wise? Particularly one who has no respect for his seniors?” Sofya replied, looking directly at me.

“Respect is a two-way street,” Morgana answered. “And John is always unfailingly polite to the elderly.”

“He constantly refuses to divulge information requested as part of an ongoing investigation of mine!” Sofya snarled. “Oft times quite rudely.”

“Are you rude, John?” Morgana asked.

“If politely refusing to hand over a report on our investigation of the circumstances that led to the incident with Mage Clara was deemed to be rude, then yes, I was, my Mage,” I replied straight-faced.

“Why would you need a confidential file from my office without going through official channels, Mage Sofya?” Morgana asked.

“And permit a possible cover up in something I choose to investigate?” Sofya answered.

“You could always have requested it via Mage Simon,” Morgana replied in icy tones.

“And get to see a highly redacted version?” Sofya asked. “You’re hiding something, Mage Morgana, and many of us know it.”

“I’m hiding a lot of things, Mage Sofya. It’s the nature of my job,” Morgana chuckled, getting a few grins from the members attending.

“From the Council?” Sofya asked haughtily.

“From some of you, yes. I’m not going to permit you to ride roughshod over Mage Clara by using the information in her file to fuel your conspiracy theories,” Morgana stated. “The poor woman wants to put the past behind her, not have it dragged up again and again.”

“Someone else used by your journeyman in his combat group, no doubt where you can keep an eye on her,” Sofya spat out.

“Mage Clara wants to fight those who damaged her. I placed her where she can,” Morgana replied, getting a lot of nods from the Council.

“We only have your say so on this,” Sofya hit back.

“Feel free to ask Clara, assuming she’ll respond,” Morgana chuckled.

“She told me to mind my own business, despite it being a Council request,” Sofya snarled. “I rather suspect she was coached to say it.”

“She brought it to me, yes,” Morgana replied. “I simply pointed out that she did not have to as it wasn’t an inquiry into any misdeeds as covered by the convocation of 1921.”

“At every stage you undermine the authority and dignity of this Council!” Sofya almost thundered.

“By making us follow our own rules?” Morgana chuckled.

“Indeed, Mage Morgana. Unless Clara was involved in a criminal investigation, the choice to co-operate remains hers alone,” Simon added.

“Then tell me about Loegria!” Sofya snarled out.

“Loegria?” Morgana asked.

“Name of the kingdom your psychotic half-brother ran,” I answered sotto voce.

“Really? I don’t recall him ever calling it anything other than ‘mine’,” Morgana chuckled.

“So you are telling us that the name means nothing to you?” Sofya asked.

“It’s a code name for an ongoing operation,” Simon interjected.

“By the Enforcement Office?” Sofya asked almost triumphantly.

“No, Healing Magic,” Simon replied deflating her.

“When will we be told of this operation?” Sofya asked.

“When I’m good and ready,” Rowenna stated.

“Yet Enforcement knows?” Sofya responded.

“They provide security for all Council operations,” Rowenna replied. “They are not however an answering service.”

“Indeed they are not,” Simon stated. “Mage Morgana answers to me on any ongoing security concerns, not this Council, save when it is in the public domain. If you wish to know anything on these matters outside of your own personal security, you ask me. The Enforcement Office will simply refuse to confirm or deny what they are up to with regards to this Council’s defence. There is some leeway with Interrogation, Intelligence and to a lesser degree with Healing Magic, but only at the highest level. Do I have to make it any plainer, Mage Sofya?” he added.

“No, Mage Simon,” Sofya replied, looking immensely frustrated, but at least knowing when to cut her losses for once.

“Hmmm, wonder what she knows,” Morgana said quietly after the meeting had ended.

“Want me to try and find out, my Mage?” I asked.

“No, I’ll get Róisín on it. She’ll be looking out for you,” Morgana chuckled.

“She definitely has a few issues with me,” I replied with a grin.

“Only because you keep demonstrating you know the rules and how to apply them better than anyone else I’ve known,” Morgana answered with a slight shake of her head.

“Well, they made an awful lot of them. It would be a shame not to use them,” I chuckled.

“I prefer to think of them as guidelines,” Morgana replied with a grin.

“As does Mage Sofya, only she’s not in a position to enforce her will,” I shrugged.

“Thank God,” Morgana replied.

“Indeed, my Mage. I shudder to think what she’d do with even a modicum more power,” I stated.

“Nothing good, I’m sure.” Morgana nodded. “Now let’s go. I believe Dorry is coming to stay at yours today?”

“She is, my Mage,” I replied and followed Morgana to a portal where we transferred to my home.

Jude was waiting with my wives, Jukar, Ketty and Niras, when we arrived and immediately went to Morgana’s side in a move that was as natural seeming as the sun rising. I was quickly surrounded by Róisín, Abi, Brianna and Imelda for a group hug before they invited Jukar to join in.

“See, wasn’t so hard,” Jukar chuckled as she snuggled in.

“Well, you definitely smell better these days,” I chuckled.

“Imelda helps. I’d never even heard of deodorant until I got here,” she replied with a grin as we assembled in front of the gateway that had been woven from flowering branches.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.