Magician - Cover

Magician

Copyright© 2014 by QM

Chapter 98

The early light of dawn showed smoke still rising from the Daoine Sidhe encampments, though it was obvious that there was a great deal of activity going on. Soon numbers of Sidhe approached the walkways and began repairs whilst others brought up some long lengths of spiked bars and began dropping them in the swamp next to the walkways. Other Sidhe were constructing watchtowers and it was obvious that they intended that the events of the previous night were not going to be repeated.

“Can’t see Nell’s people or the wolves getting through or past that lot very easily,” I said to Arch as we watched the activity.

“No, but whilst it’s going to work to protect the walkway, whoever thought it up doesn’t really know our capabilities,” Arch chuckled.

“Claymores,” Nell grinned. “The bars will act as a support for claymores.”

“Yes, you can’t get through them, but as far as I can tell we can place them along the central strut and set them off at random,” Arch replied.

“Won’t their personal shields protect them?” I asked.

“Against magnetised iron ball bearings No, not really. Plus they still have to cross the nulled areas,” Arch replied.

“I’d wait until they get their army on the walkways and set them off just before we counter-attack,” Hinnit suggested.

“It’s a thought,” Arch mused. “We’d need some other distractions though to ensure they don’t check their work.”

“RPG’s against the watchtowers, plus charges thrown over the bars to damage the walkway,” I suggested.

“We could even use nulled RPG’s now,” Hinnit nodded. “Just keep them occupied for the next two days, by then they’ll be close enough to launch a first assault.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Arch nodded. “Nell, can your people attach the claymores along the length of the bars? Hinnit, can your sanctums begin harassment both day and night to keep the Sidhe distracted? If you need support troops, see Leonova.”

Within an hour, the Sidhe along the walkways came under various attacks as the Azuran sanctums took every opportunity to target them or the walkway. Also ongoing was a war of magic as we Mages both countered attacks on our forts and initiated various attacks on the walkways. In this the Seer group were in the forefront and we saw the occasional sign of one of their energy beams stabbing down to wipe out an incautious or sloppy attacker. Every so often they’d try the same method on the walkway as it progressed towards us, though to limited effect. Although individually the Sidhe couldn’t deflect it, as a group they could, plus the adamantium plates they were using being transparent were difficult to damage even when a shot did get through. Also adding to the irritation for the Sidhe were the Loegrian Special Forces who with the aid of a Mage to Null up a bullet were taking their time and hitting out at any Sidhe unwary enough to expose themselves.

Yet still they were progressing and by the end of the day the walkway was now two thirds completed and guarded by Sidhe both in and out of the towers as they’d swiftly learned that all a tower did was to make you a target, unless you had back-up keeping an eye out for trouble. Once it was dark, the wolves slipped out into the swamp following scented paths to see if they could get near enough to a Sidhe camp to raid it. They also patrolled near the walkway looking for any Sidhe foolish enough to venture out from it into the swamp.

Into the dark also went the Nosferatu, each carrying a huge pack of claymores to place along the barriers at various intervals. Everything had been waterproofed and had the outer casing converted to exactly the same shade and colour of the barriers, making them almost impossible to spot unless you were very close to them.

Our forces slipped back into the safe zone just as the sun was rising and I had to smile despite the minor losses they’d suffered. I rather doubt the Sidhe had got much if any sleep that night as random attacks had kept them on their guard plus the pandemonium caused when twenty wolves managed to slip into one of the encampments and literally tore the place apart until reinforcements had caused them to withdraw.

Again though they approached and continued their construction despite the range of measures we had put in place to give them difficulties. They also placed various squads into the swamp to try and run down our troops firing the missiles. This however put the pursuing Sidhe into the jaws of the patrolling wolves and more often than not they’d be forced to pull back after a few had been taken down. Not that the wolves were getting off unscathed either, some of the more inexperienced and over-enthusiastic were being taken down by the heavily armoured Sidhe too.

Still, the wolves were taking this philosophically. Lessons were being learned and Leonova’s position as force Alpha was strengthened by the successes they were having, as well as the influence Marja and Adok were able to bring to bear in teaching the inexperienced from the mistakes their peers were making.

Not that Adok had to play ‘bad cop’ very much. He was mostly involved with a small pack who were assisting his friend Dan, a Kyresi of the Juwes clan, to infiltrate the barriers around the walkways. The ability of the wolves to make their bodies flow within certain limits had enabled the Nosferatu to plant a few more remote operated mines under the walkways. The wolves could lift and stretch them over the spiked barriers in daylight in places where the guards were distracted. The Nosferatu were also capable of lobbing a satchel charge a very long way too. The attrition on the Sidhe grew as did their frustration.

Their final act of protection was to encase the final hundred metres of the walkways with the adamantium shields as they advanced to within a hundred metres of the forts. Each walkway had at least ten Daoine Sidhe keeping an energy shield going over and through the adamantium one. It was obvious from the continued construction that the Sidhe front ranks were going to have a similar shield moving up ahead of them.

“Here they come,” Morgana announced as we watched several thousand Sidhe begin to make their way along the walkway protected by the Daoine Sidhe shielding.

“Not waiting for dawn then,” I murmured.

“I don’t think they have that tradition and I believe our spoiling attacks have them somewhat anxious to get a bit of revenge,” Morgana replied as several Mages scooted up, toting grenade launchers to each edge of the parapet where a walkway was facing.

“Hold fire until they hit the twenty metre mark,” Arch ordered.

“Hell, there’s a lot of them,” a pale faced Róisín stated, drawing her Ferfrans assault rifle and placing it next to her pump action shotgun.

“Keep an eye on the walkway. Let off the claymores when they bring up their reserve,” Arch continued with his orders.

“Wolves and Nosferatu are ready for the counter,” Adsila announced.

‘Our job is to hold, ‘ Morgana sent out to all telepathically. ‘Keep them from getting into the forts. Keep them from encircling each fort and getting into the secure areas. If all else fails, retreat to the safe portals and set off the Megiddo options!’

“Torsenn reports the walkway to his fort is sinking. The Sidhe are pulling back,” Adsila announced.

“Small mercies,” Morgana acknowledged with a nod.

“Laws of physics and construction; got to have good foundations for the weight,” I chuckled.

“He’s adding his reserve to the others, but it will take some time,” Adsila added.

“Acknowledged,” Arch replied. “Prepare!”

The leading edge of the Sidhe burst out of the shielded edge of the walkway each holding a two metre shield in front of them with the secondary ranks using the hexagonal shields above them to form an armadillo type formation. They immediately tried to rush forward towards the fort, but their inexperience with fighting in formation left gaps which the Loegrians were swift to exploit. Also within ten metres of the end of the walkway the Sidhe came up against the liberally strewn highly magnetic iron caltrops which despite their shielding caught many by surprise making them collapse as the iron spikes poisoned their feet leaving them somewhat crippled until they could get them pulled out and heal themselves.

For a few moments there was confusion in the Sidhe ranks until they eventually formed an energy blade like a snowplough to push ahead of them and remove the caltrops.

The only sounds now were the Sidhe battle cries and the sharp crack as the darts the Loegrians used in their rail guns went past the sound barrier, but the tension was clearly growing as the Sidhe had to know we were planning mayhem on them.

At fifty metres the Mages on the parapet let loose a series of nulled grenades. Our aim was perfect as the Sidhe holding the large shields were blown apart, exposing the core of the columns. At this point the Sidhe also threw caution to the wind and charged forward, many carrying ladders to be caught and exposed by the mini-guns who tore down huge swaths of the attackers. Yet, for every Sidhe that went down another two took their place and their sheer speed soon had them to the walls and sheltered at least from the mini-guns. Only for them to fall as several claymores went off taking scores of Sidhe with them. Unfortunately claymores were one shot wonders, if spectacularly good at what they did, and another wave of Sidhe got to the wall and placed their ladders, although some eschewed the ladders and flung their compatriots upwards to the parapets where they met the Mages and in our case the Azurans head on.

Screams and bellows erupted as we threw ourselves into the fray. Most Mages were with a pistol in one hand and some form of bladed weapon in another. Though some like my Róisín simply let loose with their pump action shotguns at any Sidhe who got close. In order for the plan to work, we had to deny the Sidhe the parapet and the fighting was desperate with Mage Roxanne leading her team and my journeymen right into the thick of the battle; her sword flickering out in a zone of death ahead of her as Róisín guarded her flank. The numbers though were forcing us back until one of the mini-guns in the courtyard punched a huge gap where the Sidhe were massing, enabling us to force our way into it and close it. At one point Seer Adsila and I stood over Mage Xi as she and Roxanne’s medic Mage desperately patched up our wounded with us taking out any Sidhe who approached and dragging the wounded as well as the dead out of the way of the defenders.

On the other side of the parapet Morgana and Arch led their teams in vicious ripostes against the numerous Sidhe now getting up and onto the walls, whilst in the turrets the Loegrians were taking down any Sidhe leaders they could spot.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.