Magician - Cover

Magician

Copyright© 2014 by QM

Chapter 69

It was a few days after the capture of Merlin’s journeyman Pyotr that Arch and I were summoned to Morgana’s office.

“We’ve been approached by the Coalition ... or rather I suspect we’ve been approached by Merlin. Seems he wants Pyotr back,” Morgana informed us.

“Can’t think why, basically he’s a waste of space hence their use of him on that hill,” I replied.

“Well, be that as it may,” Morgana replied with a thin smile. “The bonds from higher to lower demand that Merlin at least must make the effort. That’s no different whichever side you’re on, although we tend to have the vast majority of any journeymen or women being found by us.”

“Figured Merlin must have got lucky ... for given values of lucky that is ... to end up with an apprentice or journeyman in the first place,” Arch added. “Then again he did train Brianna.”

“Apparently Pyotr’s mother was one of the rape camp women. They put a tag on any of the male children then, when they hit puberty, placed them in ever more stressful situations until they forced an emergence,” Morgana said bitterly. “Pyotr was the only success out of what the women told us must have been over a thousand young men over the decades they were at it.”

“Ye gods!” Arch exclaimed quietly, shaking his head in disgust.

“Take it Pyotr wishes to go back?” I questioned redundantly.

“Oh yes,” chuckled Morgana.

“What’s Merlin offering?” Arch asked.

“Don’t know yet, not totally sure it was Merlin. That said, the Coalition have requested, via Roxanne, a meeting with me to discuss a prisoner exchange. Though as far as I’m aware they don’t have any prisoners to exchange,” Morgana explained.

“The Ritz again?” I asked.

“Yes, very predictable and at least Merlin gets a meal in peace at his favourite restaurant,” Morgana chuckled. “Assuming it’s him.”

“If it’s the Ritz, its Merlin,” I chuckled in reply. “Did they say how many.”

“Group of five which means you two and Roxanne as it’s her turf,” Morgana replied.

“And the fifth?” Arch asked curiously.

“Oh, I’m bringing Jude. Just in case he turns up with Rasputin,” Morgana replied with a happy smile.”

“That’ll be interesting,” I laughed out loud.

“Oh I do hope so,” Morgana replied with a brilliant smile. “Noon tomorrow, be there,” she finished by way of dismissal.

“Nice flower,” Arch said as we turned to leave, making Morgana spin around with a frustrated gasp, having not noted its mysterious appearance.

“Did either of you put that there?” she asked menacingly.

“My Mage, we were in front of you all the time,” I replied disarmingly.

“How the hell does he do that?” she muttered as she waved us out of the office.

“Nice one, Mage Arch,” I chuckled.

“Me? I thought it was you?” Arch chuckled.

“I put it there earlier,” Thea said as we passed through into the outer office. “It was when I dropped off some files and the message from the Coalition.”

“You’re playing with fire,” Arch simply said with a wide grin.

“I know, but it’s fun too,” Thea giggled.

“Got to admit that look on her face was priceless,” Arch chuckled as we went our different ways.

“Wasn’t it just, wasn’t it just,” I replied.

The following day we entered the restaurant of the Ritz hotel on the stroke of noon and were immediately shown to a private room set out with a fully stacked dining table big enough to seat a score of people but only set for ten with a large gap between two groups of five.

At the same time five Mages from the Coalition led by Merlin entered, all of whom I recognised, though two I could not name, one being the assassin and the other being the guardian Mage from the safe house in Kargil. I also recognised Mage Ayisha Doman and Rasputin who flanked Merlin.

“Please sit,” Merlin invited us as I noted Rasputin glaring daggers at Judas.

Both sides sat in silence, merely observing the other, as waiters moved in placing various starters in front of us along with several bottles of wine.

“I took the liberty of ordering for you,” Merlin stated urbanely. “Hope you don’t mind.”

“Most kind of you,” Morgana replied neutrally.

“Yes, it was,” Merlin stated with a grin. “Now tuck in and we’ll talk.”

Seeing no real need to not play by Merlin’s rules I simply helped myself as did the others to various dishes set out before us.

“Now I believe you have something of mine,” Merlin began between sipping his wine.

“Finders keepers,” Morgana murmured as she nibbled a canape.

“Indeed, however I propose an exchange. I give you something you want and in return you hand over my errant journeyman,” Merlin replied.

“What could you possibly have that we want?” Roxanne asked politely.

“The key to removing Hermes’ embedded wards,” Merlin replied with a cheery grin.

“Prefer him where he is,” Arch muttered.

“Now, now Archibald. Even if he is a stuck up prig, he’s still one of yours,” Merlin chuckled.

“He’s certainly not one of my anythings,” Arch retorted.

“Ditto,” smirked Roxanne.

“Before we get down to business,” Morgana cut in. “I believe introductions may be in order.”

“Indeed Morgana, Mages Rasputin and Ayisha Doman I believe you all know. This is Mage Constable, one of our rising stars, and Mage Edward.” Merlin replied introducing the guardian and assassin respectively.

“Thank you,” Morgana acknowledged. “I believe you know all here, save for Jude, a Theurgist of my acquaintance.”

“Not just any Theurgist,” Rasputin added darkly.

“Indeed not,” Morgana replied with a bright smile. “He’s also courting me with a view to asking me to marry him.”

“A fitting companion no doubt,” hissed Rasputin.

“Oh, you shouldn’t believe everything that’s written down,” Judas murmured, glancing at Merlin with a sly smile.

“Morgan le Fay seems to want to hide her companion’s fame under a bushel,” Rasputin grated out. “Allow me to elaborate and introduce to you, Judas Iscariot.”

“Tut, tut. Iscariot is a title, bowdlerised from Ish Kerioth, a man of Kerioth village. Technically my surname is Bar Simon or son of Simon,” Judas chuckled.

“The Judas Iscariot?” Merlin asked, looking a little unsure of himself for once.

“Colloquially, yes,” Judas nodded.

“Odd company you keep,” Merlin added with an amused expression.

“Oh, I go where my Lord sends me,” Judas replied grinning at a blushing Morgana.

“I’m not surprised, as like would appear to stick to like,” Rasputin snorted.

“Indeed,” Judas chuckled glancing at Merlin’s companions. “Essentially I’m just here to ensure your pet Thaumaturge plays by the rules.”

Rasputin it appeared wanted to take the conversation further but was prevented by Merlin’s claw like grip on his arm and an uneasy silence developed as we finished our starters and the waiters emerged and began to serve the main.

“So you believe a ‘cure’ for Hermes is worth the release of your journeyman?” Morgana asked as the waiters left.

“Essentially, yes. If anything it’s a bit of a bargain,” Merlin replied.

“Hardly, Hermes was if anything problematical for the Council over the last three hundred years or so,” Morgana replied. “Since we decided to ignore him or work around him we’ve achieved a lot, and not just against your Coalition.”

“Surely you cannot be intending to leave him in his current condition?” Merlin asked sounding slightly shocked.

“I never left him in that condition, indeed if it wasn’t for a certain gift that John has, your ‘treatment’ of him would have left him to die in his villa,” Morgana snorted.

“You reap what you sow,” I murmured, getting a black look from the Coalition Mages.

“Let us presume that Hermes’ release from his current condition is but an opening gesture of good faith,” Merlin stated. “What else within reason would it take to secure the release of Pyotr?”

“Ah, within reason is so limiting,” Morgana chuckled. “Essentially, you’re in damage limitation mode and hope that I’m willing to be reasonable, which considering what you goaded Hermes’ staff to do to John is rather a vain hope.”

“I didn’t have to goad them; Hermes had already shown less than good judgement in picking a bunch of sadistic ne’er-do-well’s to help run his department,” Merlin replied.

“There’s also the case of Mage Gudrun,” Roxanne interjected.

“Indeed, Mage Roxanne, indeed,” Morgana acknowledged.

“Nevertheless...” Merlin began.

“You want Pyotr back. Well, be prepared to dig deep,” Morgana said flatly. “Even then, I rather suspect Mage Gudrun will say no, unless of course you’re willing to hand over the Mage who actually violated her,” she finished glaring at a suddenly nervous Rasputin.

“Tempting,” murmured Merlin. “However handing over a Mage for a Journeyman is not in my power any more than it is in yours.”

“True, so we have an impasse,” Morgana agreed. “However I suspect you knew that when you arranged this and all this flimflam is simply an attempt to see if you can get what you want cheaply.”

“Indeed,” chuckled Merlin as he sipped his wine. “I am prepared to release thirteen apprehended female Mages who have fallen foul of our ... methodology ... into your care in return for the release of Pyotr.”

“Along with the ‘cure’ for Hermes too?” Morgana asked.

“Assuming you wish him cured,” chuckled Merlin.

“Are any of these women attached?” Arch asked.

“Not any longer, their protectors decided they were surplus to requirements,” Mage Edward stated.

“Trained?” Roxanne asked.

“Don’t be silly,” Mage Constable replied with a sneer.

“I’ll have to speak to the Council, but you’ve certainly piqued my interest,” Morgana replied as the waiters came back in to remove plates.

“I’m sure you can swing it,” Merlin nodded in acknowledgement.

“So why the company on your part?” I asked. “Normally you can decide these things on your own.”

“Training. Can’t be everywhere and do everything,” Merlin replied urbanely. “Also Mage Edward here will likely be our new Assassin Prime and needs exposure to the higher Council members and the way you do things. Oh, and many thanks for dealing with Gilles. The man had become a serious liability for us.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.