A Red Valentine - Valentine's Day 2014
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2014 by Dual Writer

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 3 - Valentine's Day changes as we age. This is about how some things come to you when you wait. Happy Valentine's Day

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa  

My place is less than ten minutes from town, so I went straight to the Sheriff's office first. The duty man at the front desk asked me to wait while he got the Sheriff.

Sheriff Dan Smythe came out with his election campaign demeanor, sticking his hand out to shake. I had to smile at the guy, as I remembered him from being a couple of years younger than me, and had always enjoying winning a class officer position. I suppose we don't change that much over the years. Dan took me back to his office and had me sit.

"We have the man who probably shot up your Corvette in custody, Chuck. It seems Joey Gringe has a buddy who was willing to go out and do the job for him. Joey is going to be an accessory, but this is still just aggravated vandalism. It will have a jail sentence this time, because the man tried to hit you when he left, and of course, the severity of the damage, but I doubt a jury is going to put Joey away for an accessory charge. You did hurt the man; you hit him on top of his right shoulder. He was lucky one of your rounds didn't hit him in the head."

I sat there dumbfounded that someone could be so stupid as to do something like that to someone he doesn't even know. "Did he say whether Joey paid him to do it, Sheriff? It almost has to be something like that."

"He hasn't said a word since we found him with a gunshot wound at the clinic this morning. The clinic called us, as they are required to report gunshot victims. He must feel like Joey can get him out of this, but we have his prints and probably a blood match in the car, and I'm sure we'll have some more evidence before this goes to trial. We're going to charge Joey as an accessory, but like I said, he might say his buddy stole his car or he loaned it to him."

Something wasn't right with this, so I asked, "Did Joey bail his mom and dad out of jail?"

"Nope, Joey came in, only visited with his dad, and left. I think he's planning on his parents getting out after the arraignment this morning. The prosecutor may put the arraignment off until tomorrow because of the new development, but I'll know soon, as the court time was set for ten this morning. Do you want to go up there to see what happens?"

I considered this for a second, then answered, "Yes, let's do it unless you can't leave. I'll go by myself."

Dan, the Sheriff said, "I want to see what Joe and Janet have to say or not say, and I'm curious to see who their lawyer is. The guy who handled all of the farm, estate, and the insurance for them when Joe's folks passed is retired, and has also died. Joe's had some guy from the city get him out of a couple of DUI charges, but Joe isn't functioning all that well anymore after drinking so heavily for so long. Janet's been a nut case for the last ten years or so, but then everyone knows how women go through their body changes. Let's go look in on how justice is being served."

I gave the Sheriff one of the memory sticks I had made up of the pictures from yesterday's break-in and last night's incident before we left his office. When I handed him the empty shotgun shells, he said he would have to send them to the state lab to lift fingerprints.

I wasn't prepared for what I saw in the courtroom. About twenty people in bright orange jumpsuits, all handcuffed were standing in front of benches when a Deputy told them to sit. I didn't know there was that much crime in our small community, but this was for the entire county that had a couple more fairly large towns. Janet was mixed into the group of orange clad prisoners, and Joe was in another row. I wanted the whole thing to go away when I looked at my two old classmates. This made me sick to think I was the cause of these two being in court.

Dan recognized my remorse, and said, "Don't fret over pressing charges. My office is the primary complainant, and they have to answer for this some way. They can't just go breaking into someone's house. I'll tell you that there would have been blood if I had caught them pissing and shitting on my clothes."

It was easy to let those two suffer whatever was coming as I remembered the mess in the bedroom and how disgusted I was while cleaning it up.

We watched as several people were arraigned for DUI, a couple bar fights, the robbery of a 7-11, and finally, for a breaking and entering with what was described as felony vandalism. The judge asked Joe how he pled, and Joe surprisingly pled guilty. The judge repeated the question to Janet, and she pled guilty as well. I could tell Dan was also surprised as he sat up and leaned forward to listen.

The Judge then said, "There is an agreement with the Prosecutor for leniency in exchange for your plea. You know, you two are going to have to reimburse the homeowner you vandalized for the damage you caused. I'm going to sentence you both to two hundred hours of community service that you cannot buy out of for the breaking and entering charge. Additionally you are sentenced to one year probation with the stipulation that you abide by all felony probationary rules. I suggest you get with your Probation Officer today to see what you should or should not be doing. I further direct that neither of you make any contact with the victim other than for remuneration."

The attorney for the couple protested, but the judge pointed at the three of them and told them that they were fortunate this was the extent of their sentence.

Dan sat back and said to me in a low voice, "Let's get out of here. I need to talk to the Prosecutor to find out what's going on. He didn't talk to me about this at all."

We were just about to leave when the clerk announced the charge of attempted vehicle homicide, and felony vandalism. The same lawyer was representing the man who had his right arm in a sling. The plea was 'not guilty' so the judge set bail at only a thousand dollars. The Prosecutor didn't even flinch and requested a court date for three months from now. I wonder why so long?

Dan and I got up and left the courtroom. As we left, Dan exclaimed, "Don Farrel, the Prosecutor, must know something I don't for him ask for a court date that far out. He's going to be tied up with motions and other court stuff until about two this afternoon, so I'll get back to you when I know what's going on. Do like I told you, and go see Jeff MacDonald. He's a good lawyer and a local kid. I think he was a freshman in school the year you graduated. He'll get a kick out suing Gringe. He's had a problem with the guy before. Jeff's office is right across the street next to the bakery. Go see him now."

I went across Main Street to the law office of Jeff MacDonald. A receptionist greeted me from behind a desk surrounded by bookcases filled with big law books. I can't imagine having to look through them to find some point of law to make a case for or against something. But then, that's what those guys do.

The lady got up and went through a door, then came back and said Mr. MacDonald would see me now.

The face on the man I was shaking hands with was familiar, but I couldn't place him right away. He greeted me saying, "How are you, Chuck. It's been a long time since I've seen you. I think it was when you graduated from high school. I played in the band, and we always did the 'Pomp & Circumstance' thing for graduation. You've been in the service all this time, right?"

I smiled and replied, "The Marines. I retired fairly recently, and as you probably know from the local gossip, I bought a place and am living here now."

"I heard, Chuck, and I've also heard about a bunch of stuff that went on yesterday, and a little about some kind of big problem last night."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about, Jeff. I believe Joe and Janet should pay for the damage they did to my house and to my clothes. They just pled guilty to the breaking and entering, as well as the vandalism, and were directed to pay restitution, but I think this is something that they should hurt a little for. Let me show you the pictures of what they did."

We went through the pictures using his computer and he was amazed at how much damage they did. As he was looking at the pictures, he said, "I'll bet they were both drunk. It seems they get in a lot of scrapes with people when they're drunk, and they're drunk often."

"The two of them were both falling down drunk. No sober person would have peed and crapped on someone else's clothes." I took a breath then told Jeff how Janet and I had been a couple before I left for the Marines, but she had apparently already been intimate with Joe. Sandy was the result. I had to fill him in on how Sandy and I had met and gotten together, and that the woman's clothes in the pictures were Sandy's.

"So how much do you want to sue them for, Chuck?"

Without hesitation, I said, "I think probably around ten thousand for the damage to the house, which isn't much; the TV, the wall it was mounted on, and all of the clothes that were nearly ruined, but I'm thinking they had something to do with the damage to my car. You can talk to the Prosecutor about that, as the guy who did it pled 'not guilty' just a little while ago and the trial is set for three months from now."

Jeff asked, "Why so long? My goodness, the docket hasn't been busy for years. You say the guy was even hit with one of the bullets you fired at him? He was on your property, right, and you said he tried to hit you while driving Joey's car? It's going to be difficult for him to say it wasn't him considering his blood is probably that which is in the car, and his prints are probably all over the car. I wonder who came and got him, or could he have walked back to town? No matter, I think I'll just hit Joe and Janet up for a bunch and see what shakes out. I think there are enough hard feelings against those two that any local jury will have him paying through the nose."

I sighed and stated, "I think they should pay, but I don't want to be overly vindictive. I'm really thinking about a long term relationship with Sandy, their daughter, and I don't want this to have an effect on that. Let's burn them a little, and then maybe they will let things be. They are still Sandy's folks."

"You are too good, Chuck. You are a better man then me after what you've been through yesterday and last night. I'll do what you say, but you might be surprised what a jury is going to award you. That is if you let it go all the way through court. I can't imagine their lawyer would let it go that far. I'm thinking he'll immediately be offering a settlement."

"That would be good, Jeff. I don't want this thing dragging on and on, causing more hard feelings than necessary, and I don't want the town dividing up for and against. Go ahead and sue them. What kind of retainer do you need to get started?"

Jeff whipped out a form and circled some percentages of what he would get if we won the suit. I initialed and signed, shook his hand, and he said he would file today and give me a call later or tomorrow.

I took all of the dry cleaning to the town's dry cleaner. The lady there looked familiar, but I didn't remember her. She was all smiles and even asked me how Sandy was. Hmmm, I suppose the gossip already had Sandy out at my place.

Sandy drove up just as I got into my pickup, and she gave me a hug and kiss as soon as she got out, before saying, "I wish you would get a cell phone. You must be the only adult in the county without one. I had to beg out of my classes so I could find you."

I was feeling good, so I smiled and said, "What's up that made you leave school before the end of the day, Red?"

Sandy said, "The Sheriff won't release Joey's car as he said it was evidence. Joey's having fits as that's an expensive car. Dad bought him that Jaguar just last year, and it's now in a lot, full holes and no back window in it. Joey wants me to get you to have the Sheriff release it."

I looked at Sandy and said, "I hope you agree with me, but I think Joey put that guy up to coming out to the house and trashing my car. You know, I could have been killed when that car almost hit me last night. Think about it. I know Joey is your brother, but I think he had something to do with it. No one will tell the law why that guy had his car. What do you think? Should I go to bat for someone who may have had something to do with trying to kill me?"

Sandy's face went through a bunch of emotions before she hugged me and softly said, "I'm really glad you weren't hurt, but I'm now disappointed that my brother might be a part of this whole mess. Why is my family doing this? It can't be money. They have all they need, more than they could ever spend, and I doubt even Mom, Dad, and Joey can spend it all. I just don't know, Chuck."

I told Sandy, "Let's go home and relax if you don't have anything else to do."

Sandy cocked her head and said, "I like the sound of that, and looking at you makes me want to go home with you. What do you think; can we go by my apartment and take what else needs to be taken? I'll call the Salvation Army so they can pick up everything that's left when we're done"

We did that. There were only a couple of more boxes of items that Sandy wanted, and she put everything she didn't want out on the kitchen table so they would take it all. I heard her make the call to the Salvation Army. She gave them the landlord's telephone number so they could get access. We went down and around to the front of the building, where Sandy talked to a man there and gave him her apartment keys. She came out of the store and said, "I'm officially out of there and officially shacking up with you. Let's go home."

We drove home separately, and I put my pickup in the machine shed upon arriving, while still cringing over the damage to the Vette. The one thing I didn't do today was call or go see the insurance people. I'll make sure to do that tomorrow. I had Sandy put her car under the lean-to on the barn. It was a nice place to park another vehicle.

I had not planned anything for supper, but I used the microwave to thaw some chicken breasts and had the makings to split them and stuff them with some mozzarella, Italian bread crumbs, spinach, and chopped mushrooms before forking some seasoning in. I put that into the oven and made us a salad. I figured we would have the chicken with more tomato sauce, and the rest of the package of spinach.

Sandy was emptying the boxes we brought while I was preparing the food. She was sitting on the edge of the bed staring at something in her hand when I walked into the bedroom. She looked up at me with tears in her eyes, and held a locket and chain out to me. "This is the locket you gave Mom before you went into the Marines. It was under the bed. She must have thrown it at the bed, and we didn't see it when we were cleaning the mess or rather when you cleaned up the mess. You know she wore this thing all these years. I wonder if Dad even knew where it came from or what was inside. Take it and put it away somewhere out of sight. You could mail it to her or just throw it away. I wonder why she threw it away in your home. Maybe she was trying to give it back to you."

I told Sandy, "You put it away somewhere and give it back to her when you two have made up sometime in the future. That was between teenagers a lifetime ago. I don't want it, or to even think about it."

Sandy tossed the necklace onto the dresser and stood to hug me. She raised her face to me, and said, "I'm so happy here, knowing I'm going to spend the rest of my life trying to make you happy."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.