The Demise of a Dour Man - Cover

The Demise of a Dour Man

Copyright© 2014 by Kaffir

Chapter 9

David was woken by his alarm the following morning at eight-thirty. An hour later he was tucking in to an extremely good breakfast. He wondered how long Moira's father's case would take. He imagined about half an hour. The trouble was it might not be taken at ten even though that was the time given on the summons. He decided to ring the court shortly after ten and see if he could find out when the case was scheduled for. He could still be waiting outside by half past ten.

The court telephonist told him that the Macintyre case was fifth on the list but was not prepared to even hazard a start time for it. David asked whether half an hour per case was a reasonable average. The telephonist was not to be drawn saying that some took an hour or more, some as little as ten minutes.

"That," thought David, "averages thirty-five minutes not that two extremes are much to go by. If I'm there by half past eleven I should be in bags of time."

He was, with half an hour in hand. Mr Macintyre emerged first on his own. He was clearly furious. He walked fast with his head down and his fists clenched looking ready to butt anyone out of his way. His skin was a livid red and he was growling to himself.

A few minutes later two men whom David did not recognised came out followed shortly by Moira and a middle-aged woman. Moira was crying and the woman with her had an arm round her shoulders to comfort her.

David walked hurriedly towards them. "Moira?" he said softly and then a little more loudly, "Moira darling?"

Her head jerked up and without a word she leapt for him, wound her arms round him as tightly as a python and buried her face in his chest. David held her gently but firmly. Her body was wracked with sobs.

The woman with her looked at David. "Are you her fiancé?" she asked.

David nodded, not trusting his voice.

The woman smiled warmly at him and put one hand on his shoulder pointing to some seats with the other.

David nodded again. She moved over to them. David continued to hold Moira. The two men followed her and then the older of the two left.

At length Moira looked up. "He disowned me," she managed to get out and then buried her face once more.

"Oh, my darling," David said softly. "My poor, little darling."

He gently stroked her back until she looked up again.

"S-sorry, D-dai," she whispered. "I-I'm m-making a f-fool of myself."

"No, sweetheart. That must have been devastating. Come and sit down for a few minutes."

He led her over to the other two and gently sat her down, seating himself between her and the woman. Moira continued to huddle into him.

"I'm Jean Carnoustie from Social Services and this is Richard Smith from our legal department."

"David Ingles. Were you successful?"

"Yes but it was most unpleasant and I'm afraid that Mr Macintyre did not endear himself to the magistrate and finally walked out before the judgement was given."

David nodded. "I'm glad you won the case and I know Moira will be when she gets over the shock of Mr Macintyre's behaviour."

"I think, Mr Ingles, that it would be as well if she was to move out immediately for her own safety. Mr Macintyre was very, very angry."

David nodded. "I gathered that."

"Irrational too, I suspect."

David nodded again. "We'll go and collect her things this afternoon. She only brought a suitcase with her when he had his heart attack so we can be in and out in no time."

"Good."

Moira raised a tear-streaked face. "I've got Mrs Gillivray coming on Thursday," she said.

"Don't worry, my dear, I'll have a word with her."

"But I was going to give her a key for the cleaner."

"Drop it off with me before you finally depart."

"Thanks, Jean."

"So what are your immediate plans?" Jean asked David.

"Take Moira back to my room for a wash and brush up and then to a pub for a stiff drink and some lunch. After that we'll go and collect her stuff."

Jean smiled at him again. "That sounds good." She stood up and went round to Moira. "You're in good hands, my dear. I'll wait to say goodbye until you bring me the key." She touched Moira's cheek, turned and left with Richard Smith.

"Thank you, my Dai, for your comfort and strength," said Moira looking up at him. She reached for his head and pulled it down for a gentle kiss.

"Come on then, my Moira. Let's go and get you looking lovely again."

She managed a smile and he pulled her to her feet, took her hand and gently led her to his car.

It was a silent journey to his motel and nothing was said as she went to the bathroom, washed her face and, using his comb, did her hair.

"There's my girl, "smiled David as she emerged. "Lovely as ever."

She smiled almost shyly at him. "Kiss?"

"You bet." He held out his arms and she went into them. It was a long gentle hug and then he pushed her gently away and kissed her softly and lingeringly.

She broke it and looked up at him. "You are very, very special," she said gently, "and I love you with all my heart."

"Same here, my Moira," he replied equally gently, "and now let's go and get your strength back up."

She nodded and he took her hand leading her back to the car.

"How about that nice pub we went to with your mum the first time I came up here, The Thistle?"

She smiled. "OK."

"You'll have to direct me."

She did which took her mind off her misery to an extent.

David ordered her a large gin and tonic and a pint of bitter for himself.

"Now," he said firmly, "we go and have a sup of these before we think about food."

For the present, he was not going to let her talk about the court proceedings even though she would have to get it off her chest soon but he did not want her to break down in public which she would surely do.

"Do you realise, my Moira, that I haven't told you anything about Sierra Leone yet?"

"No, you haven't," she relied listlessly.

David started. It was not until he started to talk about the birds that she showed any interest. It was not as though he knew anything about them but he told her of the quantity, the noise they made and their vivid colourings. That led her to ask about snakes but David had not seen any.

They ordered lunch, a light one, and she cheered up a bit more after that.

"Now, my Moira, let's go and get your things and we can start to put all this beastliness behind us."

Moira bit her lip but nodded and they drove to her father's house. Moira started to get out but David restrained her.

"Hang on a mo," he said. "Let's wait a few minutes and see if your squash-playing chum is about."

She looked questioningly at him.

"PC Greg North."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.