Student Assistance - Cover

Student Assistance

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 33

It’s Saturday! I’m getting married today! Karen is marrying me!

Paul and I are in the apartment in the separate bedrooms. Karen and Melissa aren’t with us because they were staying with their mothers for the night.

I told Paul as I fixed us a bit of breakfast that we were the only two people in the world who hadn’t seen them in their dresses! He told me that Melissa explained to him that it was bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the service.

I laughed and said, “I think it’s to make the groom curious enough to show up for the ceremony to see what she will look like.” Paul joined me in laughing.

There had been a lot of discussion but the net result was that the grooms and the groomsmen would wear dark suits. We dressed and drove over to the church in my car. We were early but had been told to be early to help. I wasn’t sure what we were supposed to do but I was available. I hung my coat and tie in the men’s room. Our brides were not yet here. Pastor Jim and his wife were ready for us. His wife, Marie, immediately put us to work doing what she called MSA. MSA, she explained, meant “moving stuff around.” She showed us the stuff to move around. She also cautioned us to go slow and not get our clothes sweaty or dirty. Everything was ready and she sent us to put on our coats and ties. We were then sent to Pastor Jim’s office to wait with him. Todd, Matt, and Jacob joined our fathers and Karen’s father as ushers. Finally, Pastor Jim said, “It’s our time to go to the altar and stand.”

Our mothers were walked down by their husbands. Melissa’s mom was brought to her seat by a proudly smiling Jacob. Next down were Joanie and Todd followed by Suzie-Q and Matt. Karen was next walked down the aisle by her father. I knew he was there but I only had eyes for Karen. She stood tall in a white sheath dress that went to the floor. She was lovely and her dress showed her great figure. Melissa was next with Jacob walking down with a proud and happy look on his face.

After the first part, Pastor Jim moved in front of Karen and said, “Who gives this lady in marriage?”

Mister Mason, with his voice breaking, said, “Her mother and I do.” He placed Karen’s hand in mine. He whispered, “We love you both.” He sat down with Missus Mason.

Pastor Jim moved in front of Melissa and asked again, “Who gives this lady in marriage?”

Jacob spoke out, “My mother and I do.” He placed Melissa’s hand in Paul’s. He went back to sit with his mother who was openly crying and smiling.

I looked over at my parents and the Masons. All four of them had tears flowing down their cheeks.

Now, it was time for the vows we had written. Karen and I had memorized them.

We faced each other holding hands. I said, “ I, Bradley, take you, Karen, to be my wife.”

Karen said, “I, Karen, take you, Bradley, to be my husband.”

We said together, “On this day we affirm the loving relationship we have enjoyed. We are looking to God to continue to deepen and to strengthen it. We will have and hold each other in want and in plenty, in sickness and in health, in failure and in triumph. Together we will dream, together we will stumble but restore each other, together we will share all things, together we will serve each other in faithful obedience to God. We will cherish and respect each other, comfort and encourage each other, be open to each other, and stay with the other as long as we shall live, freed and bound by our love.”

I then said, “In accordance with God’s holy ordinance, I pledge this to you with God’s help.”

Karen then said, “In accordance with God’s holy ordinance, I pledge this to you with God’s help.”

Melissa and Paul had chosen to use the “standard” vows that Pastor Jim had furnished us. They had also memorized them and spoke them to each other.

Pastor Jim took our rings from Matt and Suzie-Q. He blessed them.

He gave the smaller one to me and I placed it on Karen’s finger. I said, “In token and pledge, of our constant faith and abiding love; with this ring, I thee wed. With all that I am and will be, and with all that I have or obtain, I will honor you. This ring is a sign of my unending devotion and my faithful commitment to you. I give this ring to you, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.