Student Assistance
Chapter 28

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

We completed our week including meetings with Pastor Jim. Karen and I were heading to her parents’ home while Melissa and Paul would go to his. We left Friday afternoon after a quick prayer at our cars.

Karen and I pulled in at the Mason’s home in time for supper. Mom and Dad (mine) were due momentarily. Suzie-Q was staying with a girl friend though the two of them were double dating with Matt and a friend of his both tonight and Saturday night. My parents came in the door and were greeted warmly by Mister and Missus Mason. They then turned to us and hugged and kissed us. Karen and I went to the kitchen to help her mother and mine followed. Our mothers were on a first name basis as were our fathers. I decided to be officially worried.

My mom said, “Helen, did you know that our children have a reputation in the ladies’ dorm?”

I said, “Mom!”

Missus Mason ignored me. She said, “What kind of reputation could that be, Jackie?”

Karen said, “Mom!”

As if neither of us had said anything, my mom continued. “Karen has fainted a number of times while Brad has been in her room.”

Missus Mason said, “I had heard that rumor. It made me wonder if she is allergic to Brad.”

Mom said, “We could separate them for a month or so and see if her fainting spells go away.”

“That’s a real possibility. I’ve heard that she screams a lot when he’s there also. Perhaps, he is doing something painful to her.”

They were ignoring us completely and I quickly realized that responding to their teasing was what they wanted. I looked at Karen and she nodded. We blissfully went ahead with the food preparation simply ignoring our mothers’ attempts to tease us. They each made a couple more attempts.

Karen said, “Brad, do you think it’s going to rain this weekend?”

“No, dear. The weather report is for good weather for the weekend.”

“That’s good. I thought we would take both our mothers to the lake and steal their clothes and suits. I think walking back here nude would be good for them.”

“We could walk behind them with yardsticks and pop them every time they slowed down. It would give them a proper attitude so they will understand about mistreating their children.”

We began to laugh holding each other so we would remain standing. Karen said, “Mom, you should have seen your faces. It was priceless.” She looked at me. “Brad, we really need to consider that seriously. I bet our dads would enjoy watching.”

My mom said, “Okay. You made your point. You can tease at least as well as we can.” She looked at Karen’s mother. “Helen, I hate to be out-bluffed by our children.”

“Jackie, I just hope they are bluffing.”

Mom said, “They do look so sweet sleeping together. Bert and I looked in on them last weekend.”

“We thought about it but Karen’s joy was loud and clear. We decided that it might he more information than we should have.”

Mom said, “Set the table and then go bother your fathers. We have some mother talk to do. Scoot!”

We went into the dining room and checked the table verifying that it was set for six. We then went into the living room joining our fathers. I sat in a big easy chair as directed by Karen and she climbed onto my lap. We cuddled happily.

A little later, Missus Mason called us in to eat.

After the prayer, we dug in having a wonderful meal. After the meal, we went into the living room for desert and coffee or more iced tea. Karen had put me in the easy chair and cuddled in my lap.

We talked about the wedding. Our mothers wanted more bridesmaids and groomsmen. I reminded Karen of Todd and Joanie, Paul’s brother and sister. Missus Mason said, “Is there anyone local you want involved Karen?”

She smiled. “Other than you and Dad, no. I never developed any close bonds to people who are still here. There are a couple of girls but they are away at school. I didn’t even see their parents in church last time.

“Dad, has anything happened?”

Mister Mason was a bit uncomfortable. He said, “I talked to the D.S. Harry said that they will move him though he may get an at-large appointment. He is a probationary elder and will be notified before annual conference that he will not be brought into full connection. This is the second church where he has failed.

“I suggested to Harry that a stint as an associate might salvage his ministry. Harry told me that the cabinet tried to get him headed in that direction last time but he refused. I think he is digging the hole deeper. Harry assured me that we would receive a new pastor though who was still being debated. The cabinet wants to bring in a good person to help the church rebuild.

“On a better subject, how are things with your local pastor, Karen? Are you meeting with him?”

“Yes, dad. He meets with us as couples to talk about how we want to live. We also may write our own vows though he has to approve them. I don’t see that as a problem because we aren’t planning anything weird. I enjoy our meetings with Pastor Jim. He asks questions that make us think and that help us reveal to each other how much we agree on even little things much less big things. It sometimes frightens me that we are so in tune.” She gave a little wiggle.

“On Melissa, she and Paul were at her mom’s last weekend and were happily surprised. Her mother had an awakening. She has stopped drinking, smoking, and going to bars. She is going to church with Jacob. Paul thinks she will stick to her plans. She still is just getting by financially but will be a little better off since some useless outgo has stopped.

“They are going to see his dad and brother and sister this weekend. His mother is also finding out that her situation is tougher than she could have imagined. She has been abandoned by her so-called friends. His brother and sister are in his dad’s custody. The judge requires counseling and she is going. She seems to be coming around. Paul emphasized that he didn’t know what her situation may be at the wedding. Supposedly, she wants to come over to the house this weekend and apologize to Melissa and Paul. I had never met her before but, apparently, her visits to the school in the past were memorable according to Brad.

“Melissa and Paul seem to be thriving. Melissa has admitted to me that both of them will probably have their best quarters for grades since starting fall a year and a half ago.

“We turned in our short story and Professor Daniels says that it’s one of the two top stories. We titled it, ‘Aging Well.’ We wanted to make it even longer to tell a better story but tried to follow our general instructions. We enjoyed the collaboration particularly as we went over the love scenes. Our characters didn’t move as fast as we did though still moved pretty quickly. In thinking about it, we decided that long, slow moving stories of people who take a long time to decide just wasn’t something we knew how to write. We might add to it if we have time. Both of us keep journals. I started mine last September when I started college. It has let me think about how I felt about events and people. I looked at it while waiting for Brad one time and realized again how much my life has changed.

“I want all of you, particularly Brad, to know how much I love my life and the people in it.”

Mister and Missus Mason were holding hands and I could see them give each other’s hand a light squeeze. My mother had tears in her eyes. My dad’s had a lively interest.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.