Once Upon an Alien - Cover

Once Upon an Alien

Copyright© 2014 by MisguidedChild

Chapter 5: Sacsayhuaman

"Nothing is ever easy," Cody angrily muttered in disbelief, as he looked at the barren hillside.

The little caravan had arrived in the Peruvian city the night before. It had been late, but they were able to find hotel rooms for their party and the one driver they had retained. They had started well before dawn and the first stop was a gas station to fill their gas tanks. The next stop was a Mickey-D for breakfast. The breakfast meals didn't resemble the golden arches meals they were used to in the states. The Peruvian coffee was better than the finest coffee house in the States and the burritos were thick and tasty. The whole crew was well satisfied as they drove to the ruins. The driver, Manuel Martinez, was watching the vehicles while the team searched for their next clue.

The ruins of Sacsayhuaman sit atop a steep hill that overlooks the city of Cusco. Like most new mountain ranges, the Andes seem to be made up of rugged ridges that rise abruptly from deep valleys. New is a relative term but when comparing geological ages, the Andes is barely out of diapers. The rugged Andean mountain range is only about twenty-five million years old. Compare that to the relatively gentle slopes of the Appalachian range, which is four hundred eighty million years old. If the Appalachians were a sixty-five year old man, then the Andes would have just passed its third birthday. Now, maybe, you begin to understand the terrain in which Sacsayhuaman was built. The Andes were in their terrible threes.

The little party was on the opposite side of the ridge line from Cusco and the morning sun hadn't reached where they were standing. Cody wasn't sure if the chill he felt was from being in the shadow of the mountain or caused by the view in front of him. The diagram on the shard had included the ruins facing Cusco but also indicated more ruins on the backside of the hill. There had been ruins on this side of the mountain because Cody remembered them from his last visit to this site with his dad. That had been eight years earlier.

The problem was, a landslide had wiped the mountain clean of any previous construction. The landslide had not been recent because vegetation was taking root on the bare mountain side.

Amy turned her journal again, trying to make the drawing match what was on the ground before pointing.

"I tried to keep the same scale as the drawing on the shard. If the scale is correct, that rock outcropping would be real close to the area on the map," Amy said thoughtfully. "All the rooms between the ruins that are standing and that outcrop are missing. Still, it looks like that outcrop is where the room on the diagram should be."

"Well, there aren't any rooms now," Briana spat angrily. "What do we do now? Everything on this side of the mountain is gone!"

Amy shrugged and said, "I don't know. I don't even know if I'm right. I'm just saying, if the scale is right, that is where the room should be."

"Maybe whatever we are looking for was under the ruins, in that rocky outcrop, Bree," Shawn said, looking at his own journal with a frown.

Cody squatted and looked at the barren rock and scrub brush dotting the steep hill. He ignored the bickering between his interns. He understood their shock and disappointment at finding half the ruins gone, because he felt shocked himself. Where the map should have led them didn't matter. His eyes narrowed as he followed the traces of a landslide that carried away the ancient buildings that were on this side of the hill. He shook his head and pointed.

"There were buildings here," Cody said, sounding tired. "My dad and I walked through them the last time we were here, about eight years ago. It looks like there was a landslide," he continued, following the contour of the hillside with his pointing finger. "It wasn't a very long time ago because the hillside is still mostly bare. But, plants have begun to take root on the side of the hill, so it must have been at least four or five years, judging from the size of the plants. The buildings that were here are at the bottom of the mountain though."

"So, this is a dead end?" Carl asked, squatting beside the professor so he could look at the hill from Cody's prospective.

"No," Cody said thoughtfully as he straightened his shoulders.

"Are we going to try to dig through that mess at the bottom?" Brian asked, echoing Carl and sounding frustrated.

"What do you think?" Cody asked sharply.

"I think that, if something was here, then it's down there now," Brian said just as sharply, gazing down the side of the mountain. "I think we need to go down there and find it." He looked up, realizing how he had spoken to Cody and said, "Sorry, Professor. I do think we need to go down there. Maybe we can look at this hillside a little on the way down. This can't be the end of the line," he concluded, his words sounding almost like a desperate plea.

"No problem," Cody said with a smile before looking back down the hill thoughtfully. "Archeology, in a sense, is like any other job. If you don't bring your passion and commitment to it, you will fail."

"Um, Professor Frost," Amy said hesitantly. "You said you, um, that your weird sense sometime led you to the right place to dig. Is it, uh, is it telling you anything now?"

"It isn't telling me where to dig, but I get the definite feeling that we won't find what we're looking for on that hillside. Besides, it would be very dangerous," Cody replied thoughtfully. "I would like to try to figure out how a landslide happened. It doesn't make sense that there was a landslide."

"Professor, that hillside is steep and this is the Andes," Shawn said carefully. "There are earthquakes here all the time. Why doesn't a landslide here make sense?"

Shawn had learned that his professor always had a reason, no matter how illogical a statement or action may seem. He wasn't about to let the Professor use him for another of his 'learning moments.'"

"The Inca's predecessors were master builders and they are the ones that actually built most of these structures," Cody said thoughtfully. "Remind me to tell you about them sometime. Incan legends claim they were white men with long beards that had been here since the dawn of time. The point though, is that they built megalithic structures that have lasted for thousands of years. Some of them are so well made that, despite all the earthquakes in the last couple of millennia, we still can't get a piece of paper between the stones. Yet, we have a landslide in the last few years that destroyed all the ruins on this side of the mountain. I'm curious why or how that could happen." He shrugged and said, "It could have been a natural occurrence, but it just doesn't make sense to me."

Cody stood abruptly and said, "Brian, go back to the truck and get a couple of ropes. If we go down that hill, we'll need some special equipment. We'll meet you at the top."

The investigation didn't need to be as exhaustive as Cody thought it would be. Near the top of the hill, at the top of the area affected by the landslide, the group found evidence of blasting.

"Who would do this?" Briana asked, outraged that someone would destroy an archeological site.

"There's no way to know for sure," Cody said tight lipped. "The only way to find out now is to think about motive. Who would want to do this?"

"Snake people," Amy growled under her breath, but loud enough for the others to hear.

"How could they know something important was here?" Carl objected.

"I have an ability, a sense that I use when I'm digging and when there is possible danger," Cody said, still looking down the mountain. He turned his head and looked at his intern before asking, "Do you believe that only the good guys get the good tools? If I know something is important to a search, can the other side have the same ability?"

"Professor," Briana said quietly. "That would mean that any advantage we have with your sixth sense may be nullified."

"That's right, Miss Jorgensen," Cody said with a sigh as he looked back down the mountain. "It also means that, if you have any intuition, that you need to learn how to use it. That goes for all of you," he continued, looking around at the interns. "I could be captured or killed. That would leave you five to carry on with this search."

Looking back down the mountain, Cody said, "Look down there. That's a road, probably coming from Cusco. Let's try to drive down and around the mountain so we have all of our equipment with us. We can get extra supplies when we go through Cusco."

It was nearly noon before they rounded the shoulder of the mountain and dipped into the valley behind the ruins. Ten minutes later, they rounded a curve in the road and they got their first close look at the bottom of the cliff.

"How are we supposed to find anything in that mess?" Briana groaned.

"The same way we would treat a new archeological site," Cody replied. He couldn't keep the note of futility out of his voice when he said, "We'll do a quick survey of the site and figure out where to go from there."

"But, Professor, where do we even start in a mess like that?" Shawn asked as the Humvee slowed to a stop.

Stones weighing over one-hundred tons were piled haphazardly at the bottom of the mountain. They reminded Cody of a game he had played as a kid called 'pick-up sticks.' Some of the stones had broken. Trees that had been ripped from the side of the mountain were mixed with the stones and debris. Some of the trees had taken root in the mess and the roots had begun wrapping around the stones. The jumbled stones covered a five hundred yard wide section of the foot of the mountain and reached nearly fifty yards into the little valley.

"What's that?" Shawn asked sharply, pointing towards a stand of trees.

The trees were out of range of the damage caused by the stones, so were still standing. The olive green fender of a small truck could be seen through the trees.

"It looks like army," Cody said. "At least it's army green."

Cody hesitated as he reached with his mind, trying to sense something. He tried to relax more and cover the whole base of the mountain with his mental search while asking if there was a danger to his students, and got nothing.

"I can't sense anything. I'm not sure I would if there was danger but they weren't focused on us," Cody said quietly. "Why don't we walk from here so the trucks don't give away our presence. It's only about a quarter of a mile. Shawn," Cody said briskly, "weapons for everyone! Lock and load! I'll be right back."

Cody exited the Humvee and walked back to the truck.

"Mr. Martinez, there may be trouble ahead," Cody said brusquely. "If there is, I don't want you to be involved with it. Would you stay here with one of the rifles and watch the trucks, please?"

"Si, Professor," Manuel said with a smile. "No one will bother the trucks while I am here," he said in Spanish.


Manuel had worked for many 'Nort Americanos' on archeology digs. Most of them were good employers. They paid well and on time but they were also often condescending. Manuel spoke English, but not as well as some of his employers preferred. He understood the language very well though and knew when he was being talked down to. He liked this professor. Professor Frost spoke the language like a native and even knew the Incan words that had crept into the Peruvian version of Spanish. The Professor was always careful to ensure that Manuel was informed about what was going on, and knew that he was appreciated, too. Manuel would not hesitate to guard this man's equipment, or his back.

Manuel had overheard the interns talking and knew they were excited about a find at Machu Picchu. They were talking about something called a map to the 'path of the gods' and Manuel wanted to be there when they found this path. He had two reasons for needing to be close by.

Many a native helper had found fame and fortune by simply being part of the party when a major archeological find was made. Yes, Manuel would guard the professors equipment and his back. This could be the key to his and his family's future.

Manuel also had to consider the obligation that his father had passed down to him. It was an obligation to follow a nebulous path of knowledge and light. His father had told him of ancient mysteries; of gods, demons, and the struggle for man's mind and soul. Their charter was commanded directly by a god, and the demons were guided by an evil god. His father had revealed that ancient secrets were hidden in the world and one day they, or their sons, would help someone find those mysteries. Manuel was urged to remember and prepare, and to pass his knowledge on to his own son. His father finalized his teachings on Manuel's sixteenth birthday with a ceremony. His father formally asked if he accepted the obligation. When he accepted, two other men entered the room to stand beside his father. The two men and his father revealed a tattoo that was hidden someplace on their body's. Each was in a different location. He was asked again, formally, if he accepted the responsibility. Manuel accepted and received his own tattoo. The tattoo was placed in his armpit and was hidden after the hair grew back.

The two men left. For many years, they were the only two that Manuel knew from the organization. The organization didn't have a name. In their infrequent, secret meetings, they referred to themselves and their group as Seekers or Protectors. He never learned how large their organization was. He felt sure that it was larger than the three people that he knew. That was confirmed shortly after one of the men died. Manuel was introduced to another Seeker and was included in the initiation of his son. He had met other Seekers over the years in the course of passing messages and searching for information. However, regular contact was limited to a very few.

Manuel had reasoned that seeking ancient knowledge had to involve archeologists. Soon after he was initiated, he sought a job with one of the many archeologists investigating Incan sites throughout Peru. Through the years, he became known to visiting archeologists as a person that could be depended on. Manuel was excited that maybe, after all these years, his father's teaching might actually be put to use.


Cody rejoined his interns and said, "Shawn, you take Amy and Carl. Briana and Brian will come with me. Don't kill anyone if you can help it, but don't take chances either. If they are Peruvian Army soldiers, they may still be hostile. Army soldiers are notoriously fickle about deciding whose side they're on. Army soldiers may or may not be friendly. Rebels will not be friendly but we need information. The order of battle is take whoever we find as captive. Wound or kill if necessary but don't risk yourself or your team."

While he was talking, Cody had been surveying the lay of the land. He pointed and said, "Shawn, take your team around that rock outcrop on the other side of the road. Work your way to the other side of where that vehicle is. Approach them from the oblique on the other side. We'll do the same from this side. We don't want to get in each other's fire lanes. Take a two way and use the ear piece. Click twice when you're ready. If we're ready, I'll click twice. If not, I'll click once, then give you a double click when I am ready and you will respond with a double click. We will move in on a three click signal. Are there any questions?"

Cody looked back at his interns and noticed the wide eyed stare of four of them. Shawn was grinning and shaking his head.

"What?" Cody asked.

"You sounded like my old Sergeant," Shawn said with a grin. "For some reason, I found it comforting. That's scary because he was a mean old bastard."

"Did you learn to plan and talk like that in the Marines?" Amy asked, with a touch of awe in her voice.

Cody shook his head in bemusement, and maybe a little frustration. He wished he had his old squad with him, even though these kids were capable.

"Just don't get in each other's line of fire," Cody said. "We don't want any friendly fire incidents. Let's move out."

"That's Marine talk," Briana stage whispered to Carl with a grin before Amy and Carl followed Shawn.

Cody shook his head again before turning to his team and motioning for them to follow him.


To say that Maria Navarra was an angry woman would have been a vast understatement. She was also very afraid. She was tied to a camp chair within sight of where her husband's body had been found five years earlier and she was helpless. A Peruvian Army officer and three rebel soldiers were standing in a semicircle in front of her. They were grinning in anticipation at the officer's previous words.

"Mrs. Holst," the officer had warned sternly. "You will tell us where your father hid the tablet. If you don't, I have no reason to control my men. They have been in the mountains for many months, with no female companionship," he said with an insinuating grin.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.