A Glimpse Through the Mist of Time - Cover

A Glimpse Through the Mist of Time

Copyright© 2013 by Texrep

Chapter 14

The visit to see Bella's father was interesting. First that he was in a wheelchair, second that he evinced a healthy dislike of all politicians and whilst physically tied to his house, his mind wasn't tied as his body. He knew almost everything that was going on. His interest was not just the locality he was an avid follower of what was happening in the world outside of his constraints. His study would have satisfied any lecturer in Oxford, Cambridge or any other seat of learning. Around every wall of this large study were desktops fixed to the wall without legs which would have impeded his wheelchair. He had a very serious computer set-up with a thirty inch monitor. Then there were three thirty six inch televisions tuned to different news channels and a digital recorder.

"Come in Daniel, make yourself at home." He pointed me towards a comfortable office chair. "You don't mind if I call you Daniel?"

"No problem." I told him.

"Call me Andy. Bella will be back with some coffee soon. It's good to meet you. I have heard tales about your family for years, it's good to meet one at last."

"I understand that some of my supposed forbears were rather colourful. However I am a descendant of one who didn't have Chandler blood."

"Yes. Bella mentioned that. She said your great grandfather was a Robert. I am not sure of where his connection came."

Bella came in with a tray. "Coffee!" She called.

"You have no need to shout, Annabel. It's my legs that don't work, not my ears."

"I am fully aware of that, Daddy. I shout not because you are deaf, but when you are involved with your hobby, you ignore me. I shout to make you listen."

"You are not a very dutiful daughter."

"And you are a rubbish daddy."

Andy turned to me with a despairing look. He didn't have to say anything. I however did. "You have that trouble too. My so-called secretary is of the same temperament as Bella. She shows no respect whatever."

"Tina is a very good secretary, Mr. Chandler." Bella scolded me. "And you know it. You would be lost without her." It was my turn to have the despairing look.

Bella poured the coffee and looked at me with the sugar basin in hand. She held up the spoon and raised her forefinger, mouthing 'one'? I nodded. Andy cleared his throat. "I was going to ask you if you would like to buy back some of the land we bought from your family, but I am not going to bother. You are a sensible bloke, Daniel, why use your capital for buying land when you can marry the daughter and get the land for nothing."

"Daddy!"

"Daughter! Ever since you met Daniel it's all I have heard from you. It's Daniel this and Daniel that, Daniel's wonderful. Give me a break, Bella."

Bella looked at me. "Please, Daniel do not believe him." She pleaded. "My father knows how to wind me up and does so frequently."

I was going to wind up Bella as well. "Don't ask me to help. You know how innocent I am. Your words, Bella."

"Grr ... Men! I have a good idea to go down and see Emma and Gerry. Perhaps being a lesbian will be less exasperating."

Despite her words Bella brought the cups of coffee, first to her father and then to me. She pulled out a high stool and placing it next to me she sat down. "Did you sort out the problem with Huddingtons?" Andy enquired.

"Yes, but inconclusive."

"Oh?"

"It would appear that they had been hiding the true extent of the rented land. I believe that this has been going on for years. Our detailed enquiries must have worried them, particularly as our headed notepaper describes my operation as Property and Land Agent. I received a cheque and profuse apologies for a clerical mistake, and when I went there later they had, according to the solicitor next door, done a moonlight. He, of course put it in legal language but the deed is much the same whatever words you use."

"Ah Ha!" Andy chortled. "Always thought they were a bit dodgy. That's why I wouldn't use them. Do it all myself these days."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.