A Glimpse Through the Mist of Time
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2013 by Texrep

There was little point in staying in the area, but we had booked for the two nights, so I suggested that for the rest of the day we went back and Tina could see the land I had bought. Despite my resemblance to Danbury Chandler, I was unconvinced that I had any connection to the Chandlers of Chetford. Tina in her feminine way was certain about the connection, saying "I just know it's your family." Of course that famous feminine intuition ignored facts, or rather the lack of facts. Therefore she was eager to see the Chetford estate.

We returned to the Holiday Inn and I advised Tina to put on something more rugged than her dress. I paid the hotel account and shortly we were ready to go. Now that I knew where we were going the drive took little time. Three quarters of an hours after leaving the hotel I drew up in the gateway to the Dower House. I was wearing jeans and stout shoes and following my advice Tina was also wearing jeans and trainers. I led the way through gorse and brambles until we arrived outside the house. There had been a gravelled area here so the undergrowth was slightly sparser. "The door is open." Tina said excitedly. "We could go in."

"Actually if you look closely there isn't a door, probably smashed by itinerants or tramps." I suggested. "There could be mice, rats or even foxes in there."

Tina shuddered. "Perhaps not then." She was examining the fabric of the house. "You know, Boss, it doesn't look that bad when you are close. I would imagine that a house that hadn't been occupied for sixty or so years would look far worse than this. I think you are right. This place could be re-furbished and be quite valuable."

"That's what I was thinking." I agreed. "If Aleksy does a good job without breaking the Bank I reckon this could be worth something in the region of half a million." I felt a little better. That would put something back into the coffers. "Let's see if we can get round the back." Tina didn't reply, she set off at a brisk place and I trailed behind her. Not that that was unpleasant, the sight of her bottom wiggling nicely in her jeans would enliven any walk. Tina seemed eager and soon opened up a gap between us. I could see the path she was taking, but I was also examining the fabric of the house, so I was much slower than her.

I heard her though when she screamed. "Oh my gawd! Daniel you just have to see this." I had once told her that she could call me Daniel. After all we worked in close proximity, however with feminine obstinacy she usually called me Boss or dirty old man only occasionally using my name. I worked my way round to where she was and saw the reason for her surprise. The veranda had continued around to the back where it burgeoned into a covered patio almost the size of a small ballroom. It was no wonder that Sir Darcy Chandler bankrupted the family the cost of this house must have been tremendous. As in all other areas there were slates missing from the roof which also sagged where rafters had rotted away. Despite this the value of the house went up with this amenity. Thinking about my investment, a full and detailed restoration with an acre of land, gardens laid out with an eye to privacy this place could sell for nearer a million. That would alleviate some of my misgivings about buying this land in the first place. My thoughts were interrupted by Tina. "Where is the other house, Daniel?"

"The remains of what was once a house are supposedly up there." I pointed vaguely to the south west. "I presume that is what you meant?"

"Yes. Can we go and look?"

"I suppose so if you want. I imagine there is little to see except some rubble."

"Well it may be interesting."

I looked at the Land registry chart and roughly plotted the position. "It's that way." I pointed. The land rose gradually to a summit some eight hundred yards away. It seemed reasonable that the house would have been at the highest situation in the area. Tina was eager and set off at a brisk pace. I took the walk at a steady pace and was pleased when Tina stopped to catch her breath. The slope was deceptive and steeper than at first appearance. I grinned as I caught up with her. "Tortoise and Hare." I told her.

"Smart Alec." She riposted. However she changed her pace and walked with me. "Have you thought anymore about your family since last night?"

"No, not really. I think this is all a coincidence anyway."

"I'm not so sure, Boss. The name could be coincidence, but when I looked at that photo yesterday I got a weird feeling. If that man had spoken, it would have been your voice I heard."

"You have read too many fairy stories."

"No. I never did read stuff like that. It's just a feeling, call it feminine intuition." I looked at her with a paternal smile. She saw the smile as patronising. "Men! You think you know it all. If you ever allowed your feelings to guide you the world would be a better place."

"I am not going to debate this with you until you come up with something concrete. I'll find that marriage certificate and you can start from there. Facts! Tracey that's what we want."

"Not needed, Boss." I had a quick look at the B.M.D. site. You can trace back with the full name and date of birth. That gives you parentage and you can work back from those. It will take some time I think, but I will come up with the facts. Even then you won't believe whatever I come up with so I shall make it as foolproof as I can. Then you can go and sulk."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.