Overboard Too!
Chapter 43

Copyright© 2013 by Friar Tuck

I don't think I have ever seen anyone smile like Belinda did, when she told us her good news! It was, after all, the first time she had actually seen her two daughters, and now her soon to be son in law. She did seem a little hesitant, even nervous, as she looked from one of us to another. "It's all so bright," she said, "and so many things to look at, even in here." She turned to look at Harland, and giggled, "And you! You still need a haircut!" Then back to the girls, from Krista to Kaitlyn and back. "You're both as beautiful as I pictured you, and yes, you do look like your Great-Aunt Mattie!

A knock at the door announced the entrance of another guy wearing a white medical jacket, who said, "Okay, folks, please let's not overdo it. Mrs. Sanderson needs to rest her eyes," he turned and spoke directly to her, "and gradually adjust to the brighter light."

Belinda looked at him, and said, "I know, Doctor Mullins, headaches, right?" He nodded, and she said, "Got one now, and it's worth it! But I won't overdo it," she looked back to Kay, "just a couple more daughters I have to see right now, and then I promise, lights out, or dark glasses like you said!" She giggled again, "Might even read a little!" The doctor started to protest, stopped again with a grin, as she held up her iPod and ear buds. "Been reading like this for years now," she said, "I guess I can still do that, can't I?"

More rustling at the door announced the entrance of Suzy and Richelle, and I could see a wheelchair just outside, as well. Our two hard-bitten lady cops shyly approached the bed, and Richelle reached out her hand. Belinda grabbed on and dragged her in for a kiss and a hug, then did the same for Suzy. "Thank you two so much for keeping an eye on Kaitlyn and Krista for us!" She looked at Suzy and said, "How's your knee? Ready to continue where we left off on our shopping trip?" Suzy nodded, and Richelle said something too, just as Jake pushed the wheelchair through the door. We could see Renee out there, as well.

Belinda went silent as Laurel rolled up to the bed and whispered shyly, "Hi Mom!" Then everyone was hugging and crying at the same time, and even the nurse who came in to sort us all out was having a hard time seeing everyone, let alone shooing us out, but she eventually did just that.

We finally regrouped in the side conference room, and were starting to compare notes when my cell phone buzzed. Almost missed it in the excitement, but I took it out of my pocket and checked the caller ID. Mom and Dad! I forgot all about Mom and Dad!

I showed it to Kaitlyn, and she gave me an "Ooops!" expression, as I turned to face into a corner and answered. I heard Mom say, "I was just about ready to hang up there, Rob, did I catch you at a bad time?" Ummmm ... I suddenly started shaking, as the reality of the past two hours or so came crashing in. Knees got weak as I looked at my Kaitlyn, and realized I'd come way too close to losing her. I could still hear Mom, and she was starting to sound a little anxious. "Robert? Is everything okay? Where are you?"

I looked helplessly at Kay, and she was staring back at me. I handed her the phone. She put it to her ear and listened, then looked at me again and said, "N, nn, no, Mom? Mom, it's Kaitlyn, yes, no, he's okay, we're okay, just, just a lot of confusion here right now." She listened a bit, and smiled and said, "No, nothing like that, just kind of an information overload." She looked at me again and smiled, nodded her head, and said, "Yes, too much good news all at once, I guess. We'll tell you all about it when you get here. Where, ummm, yes he is," she nodded and rolled her eyes at me. "Yes. Uhuh." A smile, a 'You're gonna pay for this' look, directed at me, got her a grin right back. I could just imagine what she was getting over the phone. Been there, done that. "Sooo ... where are you right now? We can meet you somewhere, or you can meet us at our place. I mean, Rob's place." She listened for a few seconds, blushed, and nodded, "Yup, yeah," and smiling over at me again, then, "okay, we should be there in an hour. Rob said you've got a key, so just go on in and make yourselves at home." She grinned with relief, started to pull the phone away from her ear, listened again, and looked back up at me with a strange expression, "Yup, I'll tell him. Left turns." Got that half a frown look she's so good at, "Mhmm, we love you, too, 'bye."

She hung up then, but gave me that quizzical look yet again, and said, "Your mom wants me to keep an eye on you so you don't make any strange left turns?" As she handed me my phone back, she asked, "Left turns? What's that mean, Rob?"

I started laughing, and told her about a story I had started writing when I was nine years old, about a kid who discovered that if he turned to his left just so, he ended up in a strange parallel world, where he had all sorts of adventures. "And she thought it was funny and cute, and has picked on me about it ever since. Accuses me of escaping into a left turn every now and again, when I've done some boneheaded thing."

It turned out that the only one who had to stay overnight was Belinda. Kaitlyn and Laurel were okayed to go home, but under strict orders to rest and relax. "Get him to fix dinner and do the dishes," said the Discharge Nurse, pointing at me.

Krista giggled, and said, "I'll miss that! I'm staying with Renee tonight, so Laurel, you'll have to do guard duty. Your turn to sleep between 'em again, anyway!" Then her eyes got really big, as she realized her dad was standing right there with us, and Jake was standing there as well. "Ooops!"

Jake just smiled, but Harland rolled his eyes and said, "Right now I'm so tired and relieved and excited and thankful, that I really don't think I just heard what I just heard." He looked at Kaitlyn, who was blushing like she'd caught fire, "Nope, I didn't hear anything of the sort, and I doubt that I ever will, so I'm just gonna head on over to the hotel and get some shut-eye." He looked back at Krista, "Call me if you hear anything from the boys," he looked at his watch, "they should be on their way by now. Got reservations in the same hotel with us. Prob'ly be best if you wait till they're all here before we tell them about all this. Jeffrey's drivin', and you know he'd get arrested for speedin', or worse, if he heard Belinda had got hurt," he looked back at the girls, "or you two, either." He hugged the girls, including Laurel, to whom he said, "And I guess this is a good time to say, welcome to the family!" Then he shook hands with the rest of us, and headed on out.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.