Overboard Too!
Chapter 19

Copyright© 2013 by Friar Tuck

Kay's turn:

Rob called back, and we talked about our appointment to see Hector. I was okay with next Tuesday, so we called it a plan. This weekend, though, we're going to drive up to see his family. He said I have nothing to worry about, but I'm nervous already.

"Why, sweetie? They'll love you, I promise!" he said, "And they're so excited that you're coming that Mom will have the best china laid out, and she'll make Dad wear a tie! And he doesn't do that for just anybody. Even made us promise we wouldn't give the undertaker a tie to put on him for his own funeral. Said he'll sit right up, take a pair of scissors, and cut the blamed thing off, if they put it on him!" By this time I was laughing so hard I almost wet myself, but he kept right on. "And Lynette knows that if she says anything crossways, I know how to fix it so she never wins another internet backgammon game – ever!"

"Okay, Rob, I won't be nervous any more."

"Promise?"

"Promise!"

We talked some more, and he had me laughing so hard by the time we were done that I forgot about being nervous. Said goodnight, and hung up, and I went and took my shower, and got ready for bed. Checked my supplies drawer, and decided I'd better get some more tampons – should be starting up about the middle of next week. I've stayed pretty regular since I went on the pill. Mom had said it would probably help, and it has. But I remember the looks I got at the drug store the first few times I picked up my prescription. Small town. Everybody knows everybody. Pharmacist goes to our church. Used to bother me, but now I just figure it's their problem – let 'em deal with it!

They're gonna have to deal with me getting married down here, too. It's not that I don't love them, but they'd want to be having a big shindig, lots of guests, big reception in the church hall, and I just don't want to put up with that, and neither does Rob. Besides, three weeks wouldn't be nearly enough time to arrange everything the way they would want it, and it's my wedding! Mine and Rob's! They're welcome to come if they want, in fact, I'll send an open invitation to the church, but I don't expect to see very many of them. That's okay. The ones who really care will be here.

I forgot to tell Rob that I saw Laurel on campus this afternoon. Was by herself, no Todd around, this time. Didn't say anything, but she gave me a long, kind of curious look. Too bad she's mixed up with that bunch. Could be really nice if she tried. But when he's around it's like night and day. Maybe she's afraid of him. Hmmmm...

Well, put a CD on and get to sleep. Wonder if Kristin misses this Celtic Woman one yet? I'm sure she'll get back at me somehow!

Hmmmm ... alone. Wonder what it'll be like when Rob ... I mean, I'm not exactly innocent on some of those things. Donna's an absolute internet freak, and she's shown me some things that curled my toes and made my ... Mmmmmm! One, two, three, four, mmmmm, five, sssIX! Oh my!...

Back to Rob:

Okay – got that bug shot down! Missing html tag on a sub-page was shooting down the customer's shopping cart routine, and he got all shook up. I hate to cut off his update access to his own page, but that's what I might have to do next time. He says he understands that, but sure doesn't show it when he has a sudden "inspiration" that he knows will bump his business up a notch! At least he can't compromise his security routines! Been there, done that, lost that customer. Wouldn't believe me and went off on his own, then tried to blame me when things went wrong. That's okay, let someone else deal with him.

Kay sounded a little bit preoccupied last night. I wonder if she really wants to have the wedding down here? I mean, she's got good friends there, and some, but not many, here. Must be hard to decide. Maybe talking with Hector this afternoon will help her make up her mind for sure. Ooops! generic ring tone – not Ray, or Kaitlyn, ahhh, I know that number. Should pick a ringtone for it. Hmmmm...

"Hi Gary! What's up?"

"Hey, Rob. Just thought I'd call and let you know that we've got a new temporary night watchman. Name's Reynold Vasquez, Hector's friend. Nice guy – I was impressed. If you want to stop by some evening I'll introduce you to him. Best he gets to know the regulars."

"Will do, Gary, I think we're gonna go out to dinner tonight, okay to stop by then? I don't think Kay has anything pressing to get back to."

"Yeah," he said, "I'll be here late, so I can walk him through everything, and introduce him to some of the other owners. Things are starting to pick up around here, with the warmer weather."

We left it at that, and I hung up and headed for the shower. Nice to work from home!

Was just toweling off when the phone rang again. Kay's ringtone. "Hi sweetie! I knew I could count on you to call when I was in the shower!"

"But I'm the one who counts, remember, you do the multiplication tables! And now Leeza's looking at me, wondering what I'm babbling about." I could just imagine the innocent smile on her face as she said, apparently to her roomie, "Nothing, just keep folding your laundry!"

"Kaitlyn, you're bad, but I love it." Oh boy do I love it!

Then I told her about talking with Gary, and she thought going to meet Reynaldo at the marina would be okay for this evening. "But where do you want to eat? There's a little place just off campus that serves pretty good Thai food, if you're into that. It's kind of a student hangout, but that's mostly because the food is good, and cheap."

I told her that yes, I like Thai food, so we set a time to meet at her place, and hung up so she could make her last class. I picked up another change request, and opened the folder for that customer. Another simple change for me, but most of my customers had learned the hard way that they shouldn't try to cut corners and change things themselves. This one, for instance, had checked out the difference between the bill for a requested change, and the bill for troubleshooting and repairing one of his own "tweaks." Never complained again about an invoice from me.

I puttered around for the rest of the afternoon, until time to get cleaned up and head for Kay's. The stuff I do isn't strenuous, but I still work up an appetite, and was looking forward to some chicken satay, and maybe some shrimp with green curry. Yeah, that would be the ticket for tonight.

Picked Kaitlyn up at her apartment, got a smooch. "Hi babe! Missed you all day!"

"'Lo, Darlin', me too!" She was wearing an outfit that set off her blond hair and fair complexion to a tee. Jeans, (not too tight) light blue blouse, and a matching blue headband. White sweater in case it got chilly. Really beautiful, was my Kay, and I told her so. Got an over-the-console kiss. Hung on to her so I could return it. Don't want her to get too far ahead in that department. Yeah I do – it's fun catching up!

She gave me the directions to the Thai Garden, and we headed on over there. Got a table, and placed our order right away. Place wasn't too crowded, but I did notice a knot of college-age kids in the alcove by the bar. One caught my eye. "Isn't that the girl from the hospital, sweetie?"

She glanced over to where I had indicated, and said, "Yeah, Laurel." Then she stiffened, "And you can't see him from your seat, but that's Todd in the corner with his posse." She shivered and said, "We can leave, if you want, Rob, I don't mind."

"Up to you, babe, but we did just order, and I was looking forward to the satay." Didn't seem to be too much of a problem – week night, and all that, so we figured we'd just have our meal, and leave quietly. Wasn't meant to be.

"Rob, did I tell you it was Laurel who told me about my drink being doctored?"

"No, sweetie, you didn't. A point for her, I guess. I wonder why she's still hanging with them if she was willing to do that?" I looked their way again, and Laurel seemed somehow apart from the rest of the group. As we watched, she turned and noticed us, and noticeably stiffened, then turned away again, as if she didn't want to attract any attention to the fact that she'd seen us.

Kay saw that too, and said, "Something's wrong, Rob, something just doesn't look right." Laurel got up then, and headed toward the ladies room. As she crossed near our table she caught Kay's eye and just nodded very slightly toward where she was headed. Kay hesitated for a few seconds, then said, "I'll be back – gotta find out what's going on."

I saw that the way she was going she'd be screened from the other group, so I just nodded, and turned my chair just so I could keep an eye on them. Still couldn't see Todd, but they were getting a little bit rowdier. Not out of control yet, but just a little noisier. I saw another, older, gentleman sitting across the room from our table, who was beginning to take an interest in them as well. Saw him look at me, and just nodded to him, just an acknowledgment that he was there. Waitress delivered his meal about then, so I turned my attention to the trivia on the wall next to our table. There was an ancient jahke hanging there, missing a string, but a fascinating piece. It was hard to miss, because it was so big. I was mentally comparing it to the dulcimer I had built a while back, when Kay returned and sat down. She grabbed my arm almost painfully hard, and when I looked up I saw she was pale, and very agitated. "Sweetie, what's wrong?"

She glanced over at the group in the corner, and I followed her gaze, noting that Laurel had just returned to the group, but was still sitting to one side of it, as if she was trying to not be a part of it. Kay's voice as shaky as she replied, "Todd's at it again. See the black girl sitting at his table?" I could see the girl, but not Todd. "She just transferred in this semester. Name's Renee. Really a sweet girl. Laurel just told me she's Todd's next target. Doesn't belong with that group at all – dunno how she got mixed up with them, but we can't let it happen!"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.