Overboard Too! - Cover

Overboard Too!

Copyright© 2013 by Friar Tuck

Chapter 15

So we're halfway into the six hour trip, and Kay just called to update Leeza and Donna. They weren't at the apartment when we made a quick stop for her to pack a travel bag, and she thought she'd better call to explain the note she'd left them. She'd been a little apprehensive about my having to drive, but I'd convinced her that I'm perfectly okay, and that I was coming with her. Once we got on the road and headed northeast she relaxed, and we were able to talk. Seems funny to be filling each other in on our personal lives after already deciding we love each other, but what we're learning just bears out what we know already: yes, this is real!

It helped that she had called home again for an update, and her brother had told her that the IV was helping, and their mom was starting to come out of it. Apparently she still had a touch of the pneumonia she'd been fighting all spring, and as a result had become dehydrated. Kay's dad had been right to worry about her; she was, according to him, "Just too darned stubborn for her own good!" Sounds like my own folks.

So now it was me that was apprehensive. Kaitlyn had told her family that "we" were on our way, and asked if her sister would please air out the guest bedroom. I asked how that was going to work...

Kay's turn

Thank God! Jeremy said Mom's okay. Just fainted from dehydration, and scared everybody half to death, but she's okay. So it's not so much an emergency as we thought, but we're still going, if only so I can holler at Mom for scaring us, then love on her and tell her just how much I do love her. Oh yeah, and to introduce Rob! Not exactly the way I had envisioned it, but it'll work. I think he's getting a little nervous about it. Now that should be interesting! Jeremy didn't question it when I asked him to have Krista open up the spare bedroom, just assumed one of my roommates was coming with me, I guess. I usually bunk in with her so we can chat and catch up on things. I told Rob about my sister and brothers, so he'd know what he's getting into. I know he'll love Mom right off – everybody does, but there's no way on earth to prepare him to meet Dad!

Soooo, Krista. I adore my little sister, and she'd do anything for me, too. Of course she's not so much my 'little sister' any more. I mean, she came along six years after me, so she'll always be the 'baby' of the family, but she's growing up -- a senior this year. She's still not sure what she wants to do after high school, but probably she'll go to the community college for the basics, and decide for sure later, like I did. Mom and Dad are supportive, like they were with me, but the money just isn't there, so we've been sort of on our own in that respect. She loves writing, mostly poetry and short stories, and she's pretty darned good, at it. Her teachers encouraged her to take some of the online creative writing courses, and so far she really likes them. Likes teaching too, especially teaching the little kids at church, and at the library where she volunteers. Doesn't have time to "run the roads", she says, and doesn't have any steady boyfriend. Like me. I wonder if there's a "Rob" out there for her too. Gotta be!

My twin brothers are three years older than me, got good jobs right out of high school. Both married, actually married sisters – had a double wedding. They're not twin sisters, though – that would have been a hoot! And now Jeremy and Sandy have a little one on the way, but Jeff and Ellen haven't gotten PG yet. Mom's excited about her first grandbaby, and Dad is just ecstatic! Can't wait to see their new grandbaby and spoil him, or her! Sometimes I think they were a little disappointed that I didn't settle down right there at home, find a husband, and start a family. But that didn't appeal to me just then, and most of the boys were showing no signs of ever being any more than just boys. Oh there were a few, but I guess I was just waiting for the right one to show up. Now I think he has! I'm sure he has!

I reached over the console, and he grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "Rob? Can we make a pit stop, and get a coffee?"

"Sure, Sweetie! Just saw a sign for a Love's Truck Stop just ahead. Then only a couple more hours to go."

"Getting nervous?" I looked over at him, and he was smiling.

"I'd be lying if I said no," he said, "but I'll let you know when the time comes."

I reached up and touched the side of his forehead where he'd hit it. "Still hurt? Want me to drive?"

"A little, may take a Tylenol at the rest stop, and yeah, you drive from there, if you're up to it."

Rob:

Wasn't too late by the time we got to Love's, so we went in, got a booth, and opted for coffee and a sandwich. I did ask if the corned beef hash they advertised on the menu was canned or made from scratch, but no, it was canned. Waitress said they didn't get much call for it. So we settled for the hot roast beef sandwiches. Kay asked for "Gravy on the fries, too, please," and I concurred – more points for Miss Kaitlyn! When the waitress left, Kay said "I never did care for that hash stuff, but you say it's better when it's home made?"

"Orders of magnitude, little one, it's like comparing filet mignon to that flattened armadillo we dodged on the highway a couple miles back!"

"Ick! You certainly have a way with words, Cap'n," she giggled, "but I never had anything besides the canned stuff around here. Maybe that's why I never developed a taste for it."

"I got introduced to it on a trip up north. Some of those Yankees live on the stuff, and I really liked it. Even got a recipe off the Food Channel, so we could make it someday if you'd like to try it."

"I guess I'd better do that," she said, "seein' as how you like it so much!" She smiled at me and blushed again, "I mean, well, you know what I mean."

"Yes I do, Sweetie, yes I do."

We finished our coffee and paid the bill, added a decent tip for "Hi! I'm Sheila!" (good waitress!) and left. Pulled over to the pumps and filled up, then Kay got behind the wheel – I noted that she didn't have to adjust the seat back very far, (did I mention she's got very nice loooong legs?) and we got back on the highway. I remembered something:

"Just in case we get pulled over for anything, there's a licensed pistol in that green box under the seat, and I've got a concealed carry permit for it. Just thought you'd better know. I hope that doesn't bother you."

She looked at me and shook her head. "You say that as if you expect it's gonna bother me, Rob." She grinned and continued, "Sweetie, this is Texas – remember? I figured that's what might be in that box when you asked me to make sure to get it from the boat." She shook her head and said, "Bother me? No way! Daddy taught us kids all how to shoot, practically as soon as we were able to walk. We get home and I'll show you my skeet medals! Then there are the two coyote pelts – they were sneakin' up on the chicken coop. Won't sneak any more!" She smiled again – "And Jeffrey taught me how to skin 'em and stretch the hides, so I could hang 'em on the porch wall. Like I said, Texas!"

I was impressed. Dunno what I was expecting, but Calamity Jane and Annie Oakley were a pretty long ways down on my list. I said so, and she just looked over at me and said "Just growin' up stuff, Rob." Then she said, "Okay, Mister Rob, you've heard some of my deep dark secrets, what're some of yours?"

So I told her about growing up along the banks of the Brazos River, and as a kid, exploring up and down the different creeks that fed it. Mom and Dad still live there, but my sister Lynette and her Andy and little Seth live a half hour away, close to the contract welder he works for. Makes good money too, even does some underwater stuff when he gets a call for it. We never raised horses, but neighbors did, and Lynette and I both got to ride quite a bit. Used to camp out by myself a lot; it was safe enough back then. Dunno if I'd try it now, with all the "undocumented immigrants" wandering around. Back then the only things I had to worry about was snakes and scorpions. Never got snakebit, but did get stung by a scorpion that got me when I reached into my boot to pull out my sock. Wow! That one taught me a lesson in a hurry! Luckily it wasn't a Bark Scorpion --they're really bad news. This one just swelled up my hand something fierce. And hurt! Lynette asked me if I cried, and didn't believe me when I said no. Never did tell her that yeah, I did, just a little. But I had fun, mostly, after I got my chores done. Made a tomahawk out of a forked stick and a flat stone, and wrapped it with wet rawhide thongs. When they dried it stayed together pretty good. No self respecting Indian would have ever tried to use it, but I did manage to throw it and kill a rabbit with it. Then I started a fire Indian-style and roasted it (burned it mostly) and ate it right out there in the arroyo. Tasted terrible! Ate it anyway. Cut up the innards and used 'em for bait, and caught a catfish. That tasted lots better, but after that I always carried a little salt when I went out to play Indian.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.