Overboard Too!
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2013 by Friar Tuck

Rob, again

Monday morning. Good thing I'm caught up and between projects! And now Kaitlyn is on her way to retrieve me from this mausoleum! Don't get me wrong, I think hospitals are great, but only if you need them. I feel great, so I don't need to be here, and it's boring as hell. The doc came in and said the MRI showed there was no significant damage, nothing permanent, so there was nothing to worry about. It'll be sore for a while, (I figured that out by myself) but no need for any special precautions. "Oh, and no driving for a few days, just to be on the safe side." He said to just follow up with my primary care physician if there was any recurrence of the dizziness or double vision, and take aspirin or Tylenol for pain. Then he grinned and said, "And keep the decks clear!" He's a sailing nut himself, so he's quite familiar with boating injuries. Told me to call my "gal friend" and she could bail me out. Shook my hand, and then continued his rounds. Nice guy!

Got a squeal from Kay when I called, and she said she'd be right here to get me. Then she stumped me with the Frankenstein thing. Why would I be mumbling about him? Couldn't understand what she was trying to say, so guess I wait until she gets here. She's got one class this morning, so she'll drive my car to school, then come straight here after class. Said Donna and Leeza were both really quiet this morning. From what she said, I guess she really unloaded on them last night, and apparently neither of them want to get her fired up again.

And that raises the question: "What to do about Miss Kaitlyn?" I close my eyes and try to think, but all I can see are those clear blue eyes, and that shoulder length blonde hair. And then there was that rucked-up tee-shirt! Gotta stop thinking about that – the doc did say to take it easy until the swelling and soreness went away. Swelling. Yes.

"Mister Rob?"

"Hi! Come in!"

"Hello, I'm Laurel, the patient care rep here at the hospital. I'd like to ask you about your stay with us."

Pleasant young lady, very nice looking, maybe 25 or 26. Bottle blonde, a little heavy on the makeup. (Why do otherwise pretty girls think they need that?) Nice outfit, dress slacks and a frilly blouse. Was a little more revealing than the normal business attire, didn't completely hide a tattoo that some employers might frown on, but who am I to judge? "Sure, Laurel, glad to answer any questions you have!"

"It's only a few general things, so that we can make sure we provide the best care and service possible." Pleasant voice, memorized script. "I'll only take a minute of your time."

"Come in and have a seat! I'm just waiting for my ride. She should be here in 15 minutes or so.

She proceeded to ask how long it took before I was seen by a staff physician, and did I feel the response from the staff was appropriate to my illness or injury. I answered in the affirmative for everything, said the usual Kind Words about everyone I'd seen there, and that was it. She thanked me for my time, and was on her way out the door when she met Kaitlyn, who had just walked in. Kay had a bright smile on her face, and a "Hi Rob!" on her lips when she appeared in the doorway, but changed to a frown when she saw the other girl. "Hi Laurel," she said, "What are you doing here?"

Laurel's eyes got really big, and she just said "Kaitlyn?" Then she looked at me like something had just dawned on her.

"You two know each other?" Old clueless me went babbling on. "Laurel just came in to do a patient survey, to see how I'm doing." Then I picked up on the tension – "Is everything all right, Kay?"

She forced her attention back to me. "Sure, Rob, and yes, we've met before, haven't we, Laurel?"

"Ummmmm,,, Yes, yes we have. I need to get up to the next floor now, Mister Rob, it was nice talking with you. Hope you continue to heal!" And she was out the door in a flash.

"Well, that was more than a little tense," I said, and I asked again "Everything okay? That was one of the most abrupt mood swings I ever saw. You two have a history?"

"Ummmm, you might say so. Laurel was on that party barge the other day. One of Todd's 'harem', they say, and I think she might have been in on the plot to turn me into a notch on his coup stick. Maybe not, but that's the impression I got." Then she shook her head, flared out that beautiful blonde hair, and said "To hell with her – you're here, I'm here, it's all good!" Then she practically leaped over the bed table and planted a kiss on my cheek. "You're really getting out of here! I was so worried they'd find something bad and decide to keep you."

I hugged her right back, and said "Nope, you're stuck with me!" That got an even sweeter smile, and a hug.

"Good!" she said, and punctuated it with yet another squeeze, accompanied by a smile that said she meant it. "I guess I'll keep you! And I brought your travel bag from the boat. Looks like jeans and underwear, and a clean shirt. You can shave when you get home, and here's your wallet and keys."

"You hang onto the keys for now, babe," I said, "they said something about not driving for a day or two. Hope you don't mind..."

"Oh, Jeez! I was gonna..." She grinned one of those 'Gotcha' grins, and said "Nope, not at all," and she smiled again, "Do you need to be signed out?"

We called the nurses' station, then packed up the few things I'd brought to the hospital with me, mostly the clothes I'd been wearing, and waited for the discharge nurse to arrive. She, of course, insisted on taking me out in a wheel chair. I argued, but to no avail.

They should charge extra, call it an amusement tax, for the ride in that wheel chair. Sticky wheel kept jerking it to the right, and Kay kept giggling every time I bounced off the corridor wall! Nurse kept mumbling something about the "Lazy maintenance guy," who was supposed to have fixed it, and she seemed more relieved than me when we finally got outside. Kaitlyn retrieved the car, got me buckled in, and we said goodbye to this version of modern health care.

We pulled out into traffic, and Kay proved to be a very safe and courteous driver. Once we got on the highway she looked at me and said "I need to know something, Rob." I must have got that deer-in-the-headlights look on my face, because she laughed and said "No, I'm just curious. What was that about Frankenstein, last night? And who's Karen, and what did he do with her?"

I just looked at her for a minute, and then it all came back to me – the MRI! I started laughing, and then told her what I'd gone through. By the time I got done, she was laughing so hard she almost missed the turn into my apartment complex. "Ooops!" she said, "Better pay attention, I guess! Which space is yours, Rob?" I pointed out my allotted parking space, and she pulled in. Sat there still chuckling for a minute or so, then "Let's get you inside so you can relax."

She had my keys, so she opened the door and helped me to my recliner. "Niice! A lot less cluttered than my place, but still has that lived-in look!" Then, "Be right back up with the rest of the stuff, and then I'll fix you something to eat."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.