Ed - Cover

Ed

Copyright© 2013 by happyhugo

Chapter 2

George arrived about four in the afternoon and checked Cindy's condition. She had a nap right after lunch and was wide awake and smiling when he came in. It didn't take long for him to tell her that she was almost well. George asked Penny how she felt and she said if she didn't make any sudden moves she was fine.

Mrs. Butler had laid out things for Penny to prepare for dinner. George stayed and all found out that Penny was an accomplished cook. As he was going out the door, George said to Ed, "If I had Alice to raise again, I would certainly set out to teach her a different set of values."

Ed, knowing what he meant said, "Let's not think about that. We both loved Alice for what she meant to us. I still do. If she came up short in our eyes at the end, she was still a lovely person and we both loved her even with her faults. I'm not beating myself up and neither should you." He gave George a hug, which was the first time the two had ever embraced. George left feeling better about his daughter Alice.

That evening Ed and Penny sat down again to talk. "What grade in school is Cindy? If you move here you are going to have to get her enrolled. We can do that on Monday. You will have to send for her transcripts, but that shouldn't be a problem."

"Cindy is in seventh grade and doing real well. The problem is I don't have a permanent address. I have to find somewhere to live and I don't have any money yet. I've got to get a job. I was going to ask you for a loan. I hate to because you have done so much for me, but I have to start somewhere. If you could see to lend me, maybe a hundred dollars, I'm sure I can make do."

"Do you want to leave here that much? I will lend you whatever you need, but I have a different suggestion. How would you like to become my housekeeper? Mrs. Butler wants to take a vacation. She has been waiting for Tim to finish his handiwork around the place here. She wants him to take her to Branson, Missouri, to see some country shows. It would be ideal if you would work for me in her place while she is gone."

"Ed, you've done so much for us. Are you sure you aren't making a job because you feel sorry for us?"

"No, this was Mrs. Butler's suggestion. She really wants to go and she won't go unless someone takes care of the house and me. So please consider it. It seems like a perfect solution. You will have a place to live with an address. The work isn't too demanding so you can recuperate. I'll get your car tuned up so you will have that to use to go into town. Cindy can either ride the bus that goes by my driveway or you can take her."

Ed could see the tears of happiness in Penny's eyes. "Cindy is going to be overjoyed when I tell her. She was asking if we couldn't stay."

"One other thing and this is just so people don't get the wrong idea, maybe you could address me as Mr. Bowen and I will call you Mrs. Peters. Some of the old biddies in town even had me making love to Mrs. Butler because she was here without Tim sometimes. When they find out I have a beautiful and attractive housekeeper, the rumors are bound to fly. I just want to save your reputation if I can."

"You think of everything don't you? Okay, Mister it is when anyone else is around, but here in your house I want to call you Ed. I don't call my friends Mister if I can help it."

Ed went and got his checkbook and made out a check for a thousand dollars to Mrs. Penelope Peters. He scribbled out a statement that this was a loan and would be repaid at the recipient's convenience. He did this to forestall any objections Penny had to him giving her money.

"I'm also going to get a credit card in your name for any emergencies that might arise. As you know, I'm away one week a month and I don't want you without funds. In any really dire circumstances, you can go to George. He will do anything for me, so it would be like me doing what you need. Is this okay?"

"As your employee, Mr. Bowen, it is perfectly satisfactory. As your friend Ed, I think you are more than wonderful." Penny quickly hurried into the bedroom leaving Ed pretty well satisfied at what he had just done.

Sunday morning found Cindy in the kitchen wanting to make pancakes again. "How would you like for me to show you how I like my scrambled eggs? Then you will have two things you can make me for breakfast. That way I will always have to make a choice."

"Okay, I can do that. I'm learning to do a lot of things. Mama has me wind that strap thing around her when she finishes her shower. It isn't as good as when the doctor does it, but she says it is good enough and helps."

In the afternoon Ed loaded Penny and Cindy into his car and gave them the tour of the town. He started out with the school that Cindy would be attending and then pointed to the house next door to the school that belonged to George and Emmy, his wife.

"Emmy used to be my mother-in-law and is a really nice person. I got along very well with her while Alice was my wife. George is the one that heads up the household. There always was some friction between them about how Alice was to be raised and looking back George sees now he should have listened to his wife more than he did."

Ed took his passengers to the industrial park where the factory he was employed at was sited. He told them that he had worked there all his life and loved his job. The only drawback was the need to travel every month. Hopefully that would change some day.

Traveling down Main Street he pointed out his bank where he did business and the clinic that George was in charge of. He also showed Penny the boutique where Alice had bought her clothes. On the way home Ed pulled into a Walmart where Penny could get Cindy's school supplies.

Ed said, "I love to wander up and down the aisles seeing the various displays. Alice would never go into Walmart. She always shopped Main Street, but I find this much more interesting."

Penny turned to Ed, "Would you lend me some cash? I need some items and all I have for money is the check you gave me. I'll pay you back when I cash it or you can take it out of my wages." Ed gave her a hundred dollar bill and Penny set off for the women's section.

"Come on Cindy, I bet you would like to have a game? Let's see if we can find one you will like." Penny had checked out by the time Cindy had made up her mind what game best suited her. Cindy had three books to read.

Penny was waiting with several bags in her cart and said to Cindy, "I have two new outfits for you to go to school in. I'll show you when we get home." Penny glanced at Ed when she said "home" and smiled.

Ed drove Penny's car on Monday and had it serviced while he was at work, telling the mechanic to check it over carefully. When he picked it up that afternoon, all of the beer containers had been removed. The mechanic just said that he had taken the car to have it washed and it had been thoroughly cleaned then.

Penny had dinner on the table and was waiting for him to sit down when he came home. Ed started to reach for the bread plate when he noticed that Cindy had her head bowed. Bowing his head, he listened as the little girl said Grace, "Lord, bless this home and the food before us. Please bless the people sitting here and may they be happy always. Amen." Ed thought that just about covered everything.

Penny said she had no trouble at all while enrolling Cindy. When she stated she was being employed by Mr. Edward Bowen as a temporary housekeeper, the address of her abode helped her breeze through the required paperwork. That evening Cindy excitedly told Ed all about her first day in her new school.

Ed received a call from the bank just before noon on Tuesday. "Ed, we have a woman here that is trying to cash quite a large check with your signature on it. Do you know this woman?"

"If her name is Penelope Peters, I do. She is my new housekeeper. Would you have her wait there a few minutes as I have some other bank business to attend to that concerns her. I might as well get it all done at once. I'll be right in."

Ed came into the bank and smiled at Penny as he was shaking the head teller's hand. "The check is good and you can cash it. I came in while Mrs. Peters is here so we can get a credit card with her name on it. I think that will be easier than her having to use a checkbook. One other thing, I'm out of town once a month and Mrs. Peters is new in town. Sometime she may need someone to verify that she works for me. If she could use your name as a reference, it might facilitate her doing her job for me in a timelier manner."

They came out of the bank together and Ed said. "I have time enough to grab a bite to eat. Would you join me for a sandwich in the deli up the street? This is the best place in town for a quick lunch. The deli found out what most people order and pre-make the most popular. At two in the afternoon all the lunch-time sandwiches unsold go on sale at half price. The deli does a whopping business and still maintains their reputation of always serving fresh sandwiches."

Ed and Penny walked through the door and seated themselves at a two-person table near the back of the room. Ed then pointed to the sandwich board and they both made a choice. As Ed rose to go get the cokes and sandwiches, Penny said, "Let me get them, Mr. Bowen. It is time people got used to seeing me with you."

Penny was wearing one of the less striking dresses from Alice's wardrobe. She was an attractive woman though, and as she slowly made her way across the room and picked up the sandwiches and beverage, all eyes followed her progress.

Ed stood and held the tray and she placed their food on the table before she seated herself. He placed the tray behind him on a stack and then seated himself. Penny's face was somewhat flushed, which made her even more attractive. From behind his napkin Ed said, "You know that you are a lady of mystery now and it won't be long before the townspeople are going to be asking questions of me."

Ed was right. As they made their way through the crush of patrons coming in, a woman stood and accosted him. "Hi Ed, I haven't seen you recently. I didn't think you ate here at lunch time." She was waiting to be introduced.

"Eloise, this is my new housekeeper, Mrs. Penelope Peters. Mrs. Peters, this is Eloise Hartley. Eloise was a bosom buddy to my wife, Alice. They traveled in the same circles."

"I love your dress Mrs. Peters. Somehow it looks familiar. I believe Alice had one very similar."

"It should because it was hers. I loved it when I saw it so I purchased it from Mr. Bowen. His wife had such impeccable taste in clothes; I may purchase her whole wardrobe." Penny turned away from Eloise to Ed. "Mr. Bowen, I must run if I'm going to have your dinner ready tonight." She looked at Eloise saying, "It was nice to meet you Eloise. Please excuse me now."

Ed said as Penny was turning away, "Thank you for the lunch, Mrs. Peters. Next time it is my turn. Eloise, I would like to stay and talk, but I am due back at the factory. Please excuse me for having to leave."

Penny was smiling as she opened the door for him that evening. "Did your day go well, Mr. Bowen? I've been chuckling all afternoon over your calling me a mystery woman. I suppose I am, especially when that Eloise recognized the dress. You didn't mind did you?"

"No, things couldn't have been better. That Eloise as you called her has asked me several times for Alice's dresses. I have never liked her, because she seemed to wield too much influence over Alice. I've tried to keep away from her and mostly I have succeeded. What happened today will help a lot. Thank you."

Ed was in his home office, located in the cellar when the phone rang. It was George. "Hey Ed, the whole town is buzzing about the most eligible bachelor in town. I haven't said much to Emmy, but she has been right in the thick of the gossip with everyone calling her about you. Could you tear yourself away from that beautiful woman long enough to entertain your old in-laws? I'm never going to get any peace until Emmy meets her."

"Sure, give us a half hour and come on up."

Ed hurried upstairs and said there was company coming. Doctor George and Emmy Sims would be here shortly. Penny wanted to stay in the bedroom, but Ed was adamant that she be present. After all they both had fueled the rumors in the town and Emmy was coming out to see just what her former son-in-law was up to. "Emmy will like you as much as you will come to like her, I promise. She just doesn't like being kept in the dark about anything and George loves to do that to her."

Ed did coach Cindy what to say when they arrived. "Good evening, Doctor and Mrs. Sims. May I take your coats, please? You will find Mr. Bowen and my mother Penelope in the living room. Please go in. They are expecting you."

Emmy Sims came in and Ed rose to greet her, introducing Penny as he did so. Then, "Mom, I'm so glad you came out to meet Penny and Cindy. How did you like my new maid who took your coats? Isn't she something? It took me five minutes to teach her to say that. Now sit down and I'll tell you everything. I'm sure George hasn't told you much."

"You mean that darling little girl isn't like that all the time? You mean you were playing a joke on this poor old lady that loves you so? You ought to be ashamed of yourself." Penny was watching thinking that Ed had gone too far with his duplicity. That is until she saw the corners of Emmy's mouth quirk.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.