Dream or Nightmare? - Cover

Dream or Nightmare?

Copyright© 2013 by Harry Carton

Chapter 2

In my meeting with the estate lawyer, I was handed a manila envelope, filled with papers. The cover letter was computer generated, dated five years ago, and signed by the old man himself.

It read:

Dear Chris:

First off, I want you to know that NOBODY knows what is in this package of documents and I hope you decide to keep it that way. But that is up to you now.

Lizzy was not honest with you prior to your marriage. I tried to say something, but you were just so darn better for her that I couldn't bring myself to tell you. You're a much better man, and a better father for those two little chipmunks.

Lizzy had been going into the hay loft with boys for about two years before she got pregnant, and she had not been just admiring the stars up there either. I think there were more than a dozen different boys. She went through them like Kleenex. Then she seemed to settle down with you, and then she got pregnant. So I just kept mum and hoped for the best.

That was until about a week ago. She had some sort of argument with you – about working late for the FBI, I think – and was complaining about it to one of her girlfriends. I had picked up a phone extension and she started saying these things before I could get off the line. When I heard it, I couldn't put the phone down.

She said you were neglecting the twins – which I knew was a damn lie. You dote on those two so much that I worry that they'll be spoiled. Anyway, she said that and then she said that their father would never have treated them like that, if he knew.

The girlfriend was Jolene Ellis, but don't bother to ask her about it, because those two are thick as thieves. They lied for each other all through High School and still do it today, I'm sure.

The next weekend, when the girls were at the big house and had settled down for a nap, I went in and took a sample from their cheeks. I can't imagine how I thought that they were different, but anyway I got them both. Later on, I made an excuse to use your bathroom, and I took a few hairs from your hairbrush. The DNA test results are in the documents in this envelope.

As you can see, you are not their birth father. But you are their father in every way that matters. And you love them. Please don't take away their father from those little girls.

I don't know what Lizzy knows about their parentage. After all, you were in that hay loft every week for months. So she may have honestly thought that you are the father. I know, however, that she must have been with somebody else when they were conceived, obviously. By the time she talked to Jolene she must have known about the father. I don't have any idea who that might be.

I could have told you in person, but I couldn't have faced you. So I am taking this coward's way.

Please, accept the administrator's job. Setting things up this way is the only way I could find to keep you involved with the girls and to lock Lizzy out from taking advantage of the situation. She is my daughter and I love her, you know how much a man can love his daughter. But she can be a mean and controlling girl, and I didn't want to take any chance that she'd toss you out. That sounds harsh and controlling of me, but I don't mean it that way.

You are a good man. You love your daughters. You love Lizzy, but I know that that might have changed since you started reading this. Please keep loving them, and don't let the fact of their birth tear you away.

Jarred Calhoun

Wow! A lie that went back all through the years of our marriage. I was shaken.

I read through the papers that were the DNA reports. There was no doubt about it. They were my daughters, but somebody else provided the sperm that conceived them. I sat there for a long time, under the gaze of the lawyer.

I looked at him. "Now that Jarred has died, do you have any client relationship with my wife or children?"

"No, just the estate," he said.

"So, if I hire you to represent me you could do it? Providing there is no conflict with the estate?"

"The Calhoun family has been a client of mine for several decades. I would not take any assignment that would harm them."

"Fine. I'm not asking you to do that. Just to take this envelope, not open it, and not reveal its contents to anyone. How much retainer would you need to do that?"

"Ten dollars, would cover it. I'll hold it with my private papers, not to be opened by anyone but you."

I pulled out a ten, resealed the envelope, and scrawled my signature across the flap. Then I went out into the outer office and put my John Hancock on the dotted line as administrator of the girls' trust.

It was a good thing that we were still in the nearly-nothing stage of our sex life, because I simply didn't know what to do. Finally I decided that I would do nothing. So she fucked around before we got married. I didn't but that was my choice. I loved the girls beyond reason, and I loved Liz, too, despite her occasional quirks. She never put a new roll of toilet paper on the holder when the old one ran out; she'd just put the new one on the floor. She'd almost never put her dirty dishes in the dishwasher. She squeezed the toothpaste from the top, and didn't put the cap on, either. And she had occasional fits where she'd try to decide everything for everybody. I just ignored that when it happened, and the girls learned to follow dad's method as they grew older, too. You pick your fights, and none of these rose to the critical level. I guess fucking around ten years ago, before we got married, was in that category, too.

We fell into a Friday night/Saturday morning pattern of sex. That was quite a comedown from the five or six nights a week, but I put it down to the sadness of losing her dad. I had hopes that we'd get back into our stride.

We never did.

But we got into a new routine. If it wasn't as exciting as the old one was, it was still gratifying, and the girls were getting older. They had different activities at school and I was so damn proud of them. The horse breeding business was doing well, and I was moving up within the FBI. I had just about forgotten Jarred's letter entirely.

Then the girls started dating; they were thirteen. As they entered puberty, they exploded into twin bombshells. Not all at once, of course, but they developed breasts, and hips, and curves. They started being worried about their nails and their hair and their complexion. I had to buy so much anti-acne cream, I was gonna buy stock in the company.

I explained to Lexi (who was the more adventurous of the two) and Mandy that I was kinda like Old Yeller, from the decades-old Disney movie. When some strange boy was gonna come around, sniffing at my girls, I was gonna bark and howl at him, maybe take a bite if he seemed too aggressive, and in general make him afraid to do anything with anybody in my family.

"You know, Dad," said Lexi, "that they shot that dog at the end of the movie, right?"

I laughed. "Point to the young miss. But I'm still gonna let 'em know that I work for the FBI and I have a gun."

I got two kisses – one on each cheek – for caring about them enough to make a fuss.

When they were fifteen, something happened. Their attitudes changed a lot, and neither Liz nor I could discern a reason.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.