Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3 - Cover

Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 26

The prisoners were now clamoring to talk. Milt had let them see all the news reports including our information on the SUV that was killed by the helicopter.

Apparently, killing off your own team is not acceptable. The police separated them and began taped interrogations. Stan and I took Joe Dexter.

Stan said, "Joe, you're going to get your deal according to the D.A. He says you died in the SUV. Reid's wife was killed and Reid went after Ames for doing it. From the reports we have heard, both are dead."

Joe responded, "I can't say that I'm sorry. Reid was weak but followed his instructions. Ames was an altogether nasty piece of work. I met him two or three times. I had the feeling that he was a coward but he never got his hands dirty. He would sometimes take something upon himself. He really wanted to get higher in the department. Reid suddenly shut down a couple of operations. I think it's because Ames lost his nerve. He had too many people involved to just shut down this operation but was killing teams. I don't put it past him to have ordered 'copter strikes on the jail."

Stan smiled grimly. "We let it be known that our local National Guard is armed with rockets and instructions to take out any airplane or helicopter that doesn't promptly identify itself or flies too close to police headquarters. We've told that story twice and let the newsies see one emplacement."

I said, "Joe, what is the likelihood that Ames was the top one involved in this?"

He said, "I would say fifty-fifty. This op was called quickly with insufficient preparation. It struck me that someone wanted to talk to you about something and felt they had to keep it secret until they wanted it known. I think someone higher up would have made some more peaceful overtures first. Obviously, you are too important locally to just vanish without lots of problems. Even a cursory investigation would have made that clear.

"Ames had a lot of information cross his desk. That can be a blessing or a curse. My experience is that it's a blessing when it keeps you from doing something stupid and it's a curse when it lets you rush into something half-assed. He hated to take things higher up until he knew more. His every move was based upon bettering his lot."

Stan said, "Okay, Joe. Like I said, you have your deal. You were killed in the SUV. We just happen to have some loaner bodies to bury. Your face was destroyed and we only have one fingerprint but tied it in to those we had taken earlier. If we let you out this evening, what do you need to vanish tonight?"

"I have a second ID in a bag in the SUV under the seat. Let me have it or get it. There is money, too. I will take a bus out with cash. If you ever want to see me, put an ad in your paper for a guide and sign it Tomaso Crowne with an 'e.' Let it run for a month. Give me a phone number to call. I'll be in touch."

Stan said, "Okay. I'll take you to impound and let you get your stuff." He left with Irene and they came back an hour later without Joe. He said, "He was good as he said. We dropped him at a charity clothes store where he was buying clothes for his trip. I suspect that we would have a tough time finding him now."

Irene said, "I guess, from what you have said, Morris is next. That will leave two more to be released to go hide." The four of us went into Morris' interrogation room. Morris said, "Hello, I have finished my writing. I went back and numbered the pages and initialed each one. If you have a notary, we can back date the execution of the document to just before I left in that ill-fated SUV. When you release me, I would appreciate a few dollars to help me get out of town."

I opened my wallet and pulled out five or six twenties and handed them to him. He nodded. "Mister Chambers, thank you for a fresh start. I hope that all works out well for you and yours. Good luck." He shook my hand. He looked at Stan and said, "Is there a back entrance so I can get out without being spotted?" He smiled and nodded. He took him outside. We never saw Morris again.

The four of us looked at each other. Lisa said, "We need to question the rest of them."

We went through the questioning with the rest of them. They could add little to what we knew. Two looked promising and after discussion, they were released to go their way into new lives with their former personas being declared dead.

We had just finished questioning all of the rest of the teams when Milt Jones came into the room. He said, "It looks like we have had a real Department of Justice person call me. This one wants to send FBI personnel to help our investigation. He was interested in the extra information I told him we had. I told him that we would verify everyone sent down and he said that he understood our concern and the ones being sent to us would comply. The Secret Service also wanted to investigate and was sending their own people to town." He looked at the four of us. "You need to go home and hole up. We're not a big force and I have a lot of tired people here." He looked at Stan and said, "Would you and Irene stay at Lisa and Al's place for a few nights?"

I quickly said, "We'll be glad to have them."

Irene and Stan nodded. Irene said, "Our daughter is close to there, too. We'll grab some clothes and head there."

Milt said, "Al, does your house have a security system?"

"Yes, though we don't usually activate it."

"Activate it and get some rest. I think all the excitement is over but, until I'm sure, let's take precautions."

Lisa talked to Laura and Bert by phone. Irene talked to Hannah. Then we talked to her and Stan. They would join us for the evening and our kids would join us later in the morning. It was an enjoyable evening and we had the outdoor alarms set. Happily, it was quiet. The next morning after a leisurely breakfast, all four kids came over. There were hugs all around. Around noon, we turned on the TV to listen to any news about our town and the excitement. Two reports on different channels talked about the FBI and Secret Service investigations and that there were some ramifications being heard in Washington. All the captive individuals had now been identified and bond hearings were due for tomorrow.

I turned the volume down and said, "Stan, do we go in tomorrow? I'm still cautious about the kids and Lisa will have to get in to CME sooner or later."

Laura spoke up. "The 'kids' will go to school. That place is an armed camp and a little on edge. We'll be safe. Maybe Irene will go in with Mom though there are plenty of people there to protect her. Granddad said, "You are to come in when you're ready." You can go with Stan tomorrow and find out all the details." Laura had become matter of fact as she became older and indulged in every teenaged girl's fantasy of directing her parents.

Lisa looked at me. "I'll go with you to police headquarters tomorrow. I called the office while you were napping and they don't expect me until after tomorrow."

Stan looked amused. "It's nice to know that's all settled." I shrugged.

Irene said, "He's smart. He doesn't rail about his fate." Lisa joined her in chuckling at my fate.

In the morning, we took the kids to school. Laura stayed with us tonight which meant that Frankie did, too. Laura was right. It was an armed camp. If I were a bad guy, I would go to a public school to find a defenseless place from which to abduct a kid or kill people.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.