Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3 - Cover

Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 25

We pulled into the church parking lot. Irene and Lisa left the vehicle and took up positions to over watch. Stan and I got out of the SUV and picked a place to wait. For some reason, neither of us wanted to sit in that SUV. A helicopter swooped in and fired a rocket into the SUV taking it out. It whirled around with a spotlight while we stayed hidden. A moment later, it left.

Our wives came over and we hugged. The local police came up and Stan went out to greet them. They were familiar with the story on the news. Stan got them to agree that they would show four people dead in the SUV. The two police cars took us to their station and lent us a car for a quick trip back to our town's station. Irene reported that three kidnappers had taken Al Chambers captive and been traced to the next town. She said that preliminary reports were that the SUV was blown up by helicopter rocket operated persons unknown at this time. Four persons were inside the SUV.

That information was given to the captives who became even more unhappy with that news. Stan pulled the local prisoners out of the area. He went in and said, "Gentlemen, no one from the DOJ is coming. A try to take Al by another group went badly when your bosses blew them up. Fortunately, Al was not in the SUV. I think it's time we heard from each of you telling us everything you know. Supposedly, four of you are dead so we can lose a few of you in questioning and no one will be wiser." He pointed at two men. "You two will be first. Come out here now." They didn't look happy but followed Stan's command. They just happened to be the leaders. They were put in two separate rooms.

Stan and I went into a room with the man who identified himself as Morris Upshaw. Fingerprints had come back with no name but a connection to the Department of Defense. Stan started, "You gave your name as Morris Upshaw. Unfortunately, your fingerprints don't show in any database including the military database.

"Upshaw, you need to write down information so we can identify you or so your next of kin can be notified." Stan flipped a writing pad and pencil on the table. Write your name, home address, phone numbers, social security numbers, names of wife or significant other and any children. Then, you can start a narrative of how you got this mission that has resulted in your arrest, every person with who you had contact, your instructions and every detail you can remember."

He said, "If I don't, what happens?"

I said, "You're mine. You'll be one of the bodies burned heavily when your SUV exploded from the helicopter's rocket."

He said, "If I talk, I would like to be one of the bodies identified by fingerprints from the wreckage. Morris Upshaw is my real name. I have no wife or children. It's time to get out and being 'kia' would be a good way. I have three aliases set up and plenty of money if I can get away. If we can work that out, I'll give you everything I know. I've been doing this sort of work for almost fifteen years. I tell you all about this mission. If you'll leave the paper and a couple of pencils, I'll write up all the other missions, too." Stan and I looked at each other and nodded.

He was writing his personal information while he talked. "I've been working for the Department of Defense under a section of the Defense Intelligence Agency all this time. I don't have an office as such though I have gone into the offices many times. I received a call from my boss, Joseph Macy, giving me instructions to go to an address and peacefully, if possible, take custody of one Al Chambers. I received an email with a picture, a few details about you, and details about the mission. I was told to bring you to DIA headquarters to Macy. Typically, that means that someone told Macy what to do but not why. They told me nothing. They sure didn't mention that you knew half the police force or that you could shoot and fight. What we knew was that someone in Defense wanted to talk to you and didn't want to use normal channels.

"Macy doesn't know it but I know where he lives including a fair bit about his life away from the Agency. I'll write that down. From my point of view, he is the next person up the chain to find out who originated this mess."

We nodded. Stan said, "You will get your supposed death in the SUV and be allowed to get out of here. Be patient and write." We left for the other room.

"Joe" was waiting for us there. Stan said, "Your fingerprints don't show even in the government database. We want your real name, home address, phone numbers, and any information about next of kin. Your neighbor is spilling his guts in exchange for a chance to be identified by fingerprints from the exploded SUV and get out. The other two options are you get to play some more with Al or we release you after a long imprisonment."

"Getting out doesn't sound like a bad idea. My name is Ambrose Joseph Dexter, hence Joe. I was army, then CIA and, for the last five years, DIA. I work for Jim Reid. He's the Section Head of my area. I have a fair bit of information on him and other management guys in my Section. I've gathered it for insurance over the years. My wife died of cancer last year. My daughter knows that I may vanish and she will get a new uncle later.

"Reid called me into his office. There is a pretty big portfolio on you, Mister Chambers. I was given a copy though it was heavily redacted. We were told to take you captive by any means necessary. We were told that the other team had been a total loss. When you used the code word and information, Reid or his superiors must have decided that we were expendable, too. That's why the helicopter shot the SUV with the rocket. It was to wipe me out and you, too, Mister Chambers. I never wanted to be killed by friendly fire particularly if it's intentional. He wrote on the top page of the pad. These are Reid's numbers and his home address. He's married with a grown son.

This started in Defense but how high? Taking me out and not helping the other team were decisions someone made who are above Reid. I want you to find them because they tried to sign my death warrant also. If the problem is really high or just above Reid, he could be in danger.

"I'll write down everything I've done. It's good insurance. Turning states' evidence is my best shot other than being allowed to vanish."

We left him writing. Stan began to research both Macy and Reid. It turned out that Reid was easier to track down than Macy. He was three hours away by car.

We walked in on Joe. Stan said, "Joe, you have your deal. How good is Reid?"

Joe said, "He's all plans. He hasn't handled a gun in years and has gotten soft physically."

We nodded and left the room. We went to our wives who were napping in Stan's office. Both woke when we entered. Lisa said, "Irene, they must be slipping. They let the bad guys talk rather than beating the hell out of them."

Irene smiled. "Stan has information."

Stan said, "We know two higher ups. One is three hours away by car. Would you consider letting us take a road trip?"

Lisa said, "No. We'll go with you."

We took my car and went by Stan's house to pick up some shotguns and rifles that weren't traceable. We headed out moving as fast as the speed limits would possibly allow. The only reason we went that slow was that we didn't want to waste time getting loose from any local police. We caught Reid as he was getting to his car. I put a pistol to his ear and said, "Mister Reid, you will come with us. We're going to have a talk." We patted him down to find no weapons and put him in the middle of the back seat with Lisa and I on each side. Stan drove down the block with Irene looking back and holding a pistol on him.

Lisa said, "Reid, I am Al Chambers' wife, Lisa. Did you send the 'copter that took out the SUV with Joe Dexter and my husband?"

"I gave the order to the team after being told to close off the mission. The jail will be attacked later today. I have had to put together a team to handle it. We lost a lot of people over your husband."

Lisa picked up. "Who started this mission and gave the order to close it off?"

"Leon Ames, an Assistant Secretary of Defense, gave the orders. I think this was his bright idea but it got way out of hand and he is trying to cover his tracks. He suggested to me that Al Chambers had some vital information that would enable the country to be able to out compete compared to any in the world. I wasn't told what that information was. Taking out the SUV was not a decision that he should have made on his own.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.