Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3
Chapter 24

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

I said, "Okay, Stan. The kids are in school and Lisa's at CME. If those locations are like it is here, they are armed and ready for trouble."

He hung up and I turned on the TV to watch the news. The local TV station had footage from last night with little more to add. As their "on the scene" reporter was speaking, she had Irene come to her. She said, "This is breaking news. Police department spokesperson, Irene Medlin, is here. Missus Medlin, what can you tell me?"

Irene said, "The Chambers home is being invaded by more strange vehicles. Three SUV's are known to be on the premises without permission and with presumed deadly intent. Our SWAT team is on the way along with other elements of the department to take these persons into custody peacefully if possible. The department has had no announcement from any known or unknown federal agency regarding this invasion. The Chief has made the decision that our town's citizens are not subject to kidnapping by unknown forces without a fight."

The reporter said, "We will bring you more information as soon as it develops."

I turned down the volume. "Paul, someone is pushing hard and is trying to keep who they are hidden." I called Pam. "Pam, I think I need to make a public statement. What do you think?"

"I've been listening to the news, Al. Let the police get this last group under control and we'll see. I will start working on some draft points though."

"Thanks. Laura will stay with you tonight?"

"Yes."

We hung up. The news reporter had announced that they were going to our house to observe the SWAT team with the latest group of invaders.

A few minutes later, Stan called. He said, "The SWAT leader said that these jerks claim they are here to protect you. They have been told to lay down their weapons and surrender. They are refusing. They won't say where they are from either. Also, I have cars watching the approaches into town in case more are coming. DOJ hasn't arrived yet. Our current guests are getting nervous. We piped in the news reports to them. I'll talk to you later."

"Please do and you can tell the outsiders that I only need protection from these alleged protectors."

We hung up. We waited. Stan called. He said, "Two reports for you. First, the SWAT team has shot the tires out from under all three SUV's at your house. He's going to start taking them down in a few minutes. Two more SUV's were picked up coming into town. The deputy sheriff followed them gathering help. They were headed for the school. We have them boxed with plenty of people. We shot their tires out also.

"I have a job for you. Ride out to your house and talk to the reporters. Your side needs to get out. If they know the school, they know where you and Lisa work. We just don't have enough people to cover every road though we're trying. Send everyone home. Wear your Glock. Keep me on speed dial. Go now."

I talked to Paul. "That was Stan. They intercepted a pair of SUV's heading for the school. If they know that, they know where we are. I'm going out to the house to meet with the reporters. If you don't close down, be prepared for an invasion. Get some hunters and military guys to watch. Better still, close down."

"We could close down, Al, but that's not the style around here. We'll be ready. Watch yourself. Pick up Lisa." I nodded and left. As I left, I heard the p.a. loudspeakers announce an emergency meeting in the main shop floor.

I jumped into the car and called Lisa. "I'm coming to get you. They caught another group headed for the school. We need to talk to the reporters."

I pulled up outside her office area and was met by four guys with rifles who I recognized. One said, "Mister Al, we're all staying. We have defense in depth if the bad guys show up."

I told him, "Thanks." Lisa got in the car. She looked angry. As I drove away, she fumed. "This is un-American. We've done nothing wrong, have received no threats, and have received no notifications from any recognized agency."

"Call Pam. She's working on something for us to say."

She was on the phone to Pam when I realized I would be close to the intersection where the SUV's heading for the school were trapped. I turned on my flashers and pulled fairly close to the police cars. I got out and walked to the policemen. "Are they still in there?" He nodded. "May I use your bullhorn?" He nodded and handed it to me. I used it and said, "Terrorist in the SUV's, this is Al Chambers. We believe that you were on their way to shoot your way into a school and kidnap my children. That won't happen. You will die first. The school is ready for you if you manage to get out of here. I am requesting that the police take you out if you don't immediately surrender."

I handed the bullhorn back. " Maybe that will give them something to think about." He grinned and waved me away. I headed home.

Lisa said, "I've talked with Pam. You talk with the SWAT leader. I will talk to the reporters." That's what we did. I got out and ran to the police perimeter while Lisa fielded questions.

The commander shook my hand. He said, "We've tried talking to them but they don't respond. We're going to pop a window and gas them."

"Sounds good to me. Let me have one try to get them out."

He shrugged. Use that mike. We are not getting shot while defusing this." I smiled and nodded.

I took the mike and keyed it. "Trespassers in the SUV's, this is Al Chambers. You are surrounded and immobilized. You have failed and refused to identify yourselves to the police. You have claimed that you are here to protect me. The only ones from who I need protection is you. I believe you are terrorists and call on the police to take you down without danger to themselves. There was another pair of vehicles coming for our children, they have been taken out. Given the opportunity, I will joyfully shoot you like the dogs you are." I let the mike drop. The commander said into his radio, "Plan Two, execute now!" Shots were fired into the back SUV wiping out its window. A gas canister followed. Moments later, the SUV was empty and its occupants were in custody. The back SUV was dragged away and the process repeated leaving the SUV in place. It worked again. The commander said, "This time, we take out the windshield. Shoot!" The windshield shattered and a canister was shot inside it. Moments later the third group was surrendering. The three vehicles were searched finding nothing to tie them or the men inside to any governmental agency.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.