Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

The next weekend, we got together again with the addition of Jenna and Brian. Frank reported that it could be done. Jenna then said, "Al, what do you have in mind?"

I gave her the history of our discussions. Then, I said, "Rumor says you will be moved this year when Jim retires."

She nodded slowly. "It's going to be difficult because there are no open appointments close by."

I said, "We have in mind a special challenge that will keep you here in town."

Her head and Brian's snapped up. He smiled at her and she said, "You have our attention. Tell us more."

Lisa said, "You heard Al explain some history. We decided that moving the children to a private religious school would put off the day of reckoning. More and more children are being born with partners like Laura, Hannah, and Bert. It would be a school with a strong religious basis and that actively worked to enhance academic performance. We don't have the details but we want to use the religious angle to teach the children love of God but also to make it seem that the religious upbringing and training creates the better academic performance."

Jenna said, "You guys are clever. That could work. If you have average intelligence students who perform well above standard, then it will insulate your school from meddling. The strong religious part will also keep parents from trying to send their children to the school particularly if active church membership is a requirement.

"You have four here. You'll need many more."

Pam said, "Our new Sunday school class has six couples with a partner for each person. They all feel uncomfortable in regular school. If we made some scholarship money available, I think we would have plenty of students. Karen has obtained her teaching certificate, as has John. They might be willing to teach. Lois has hers and is teaching in middle school but doesn't like it."

We talked for a while when Frank said that we should be the initiating board. We voted Pam to be our board's chair. To get even, she nominated me for Secretary and that passed. Stan would be the treasurer. We set up a schedule for obtaining a faculty, some staff, and students. We had a lot to do and Jenna would be busy. Brian was on break and he agreed to help her. We had talked Lois, Karen, and John into being our first three teachers. Lois would recruit some teachers from her school and from other schools in the county.

We found a location with the help of Marcia Baker. We had it quickly refurbished to exceed state standards as well as the county standards. While that was going on, Jenna had to go to the church's Annual Conference. She was given an appointment as Headmistress of the Mason Wesleyan School for Advanced Students. Mason was Lisa's middle name before our marriage and her mother's maiden name.

Shortly after Jenna was given her appointment, we were ready to go public and look for students. Our costs were a little lower than other private schools. Our brochures made it clear that religious principles would be primary along with academic advancement.

We were able to "cherry pick" teachers. We paid better than the public schools with benefits that were as good. The students were great. A few of the top students did not apply. I found in checking that their parents had a deep distaste for any religious group or affiliation. I understood. We let them be. We even cautioned people not to make any disparaging statements to or about them in response to their statements and there were a few. Our lack of comebacks was intentional and stopped their hate campaign when there just was no response.

Classes started in September and the school was successful from the beginning. Of course, we permitted normal inspections from local and state officials. We used the standard state tests. Someone calling from any group other than through the local or state school boards received a chilly reception and wasn't allowed access to the halls. Before the end of the first year, we were full and most of our teachers and students were partnered with aliens.

However, I knew that I had only deflected interest not stopped it. However, as a private enterprise with a good lawyer, we had only to meet the state requirements. That we did with ease. Anyone else wanting to check on the school was referred to the public reports filed with the county and state boards of education.

I began to be more watchful about my family. In the back of my mind was the possibility that vital information had or would be leaked.

The school year finished and all remained calm. Frank had been rumbled at from people claiming to be scholastic officials. They were strangely lacking the proper credentials or educational training to evaluate any school. They were firmly and politely escorted away. Jenna insisted on vetting anyone she didn't know through Frank. We never lacked for police protection. Stan and Irene saw to that. A number of our teachers had permits and carried weapons. Even more were trained in hand-to-hand combat. Our school was NRA certified as safe even though we hadn't tried for any such certification. Strangers did not wander the halls.

Our discipline standards were strict but Jenna told me she never had to inflict corporal punishment upon a student. They knew that it could happen and knew that such punishment was permitted by their parents. That seemed to be sufficient.

Our three seniors all had full scholarships to the college of their choice with every expectation of doing well. Our next class would graduate seven. All of them would be taking advanced placement classes at the local college.

We made it through the summer and still another year. Our children were growing like weeds. Frankie was a handsome young man. Laura was becoming as beautiful as her mother and Bert was a young but well-developed man. Hannah was going to be gorgeous when she grew up, too. Like their mothers, the girls attracted attention from passersby. We spent some time teaching all four of the children self-defense. We hoped they would never need it but wanted them able to repel bad guys while screaming for help.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.