Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3
Chapter 19

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

That Sunday, we had one of our last classes. The big event there was the presence of Mavis and Roy's parents when Roy went to one knee and asked Mavis to marry him. Roy's father was still a little rough but had learned discretion over the years. Mavis agreed and everyone applauded. I was one of the first to shake Roy's hand. He had tears in his eyes. He said, "Thank you again for the lesson. I will have a wonderful lady who will be my wife because you cared enough to correct me. My world changed wonderfully thanks to you."

In church, Jenna had Karen and John stand recognizing the newly wed couple as having returned from their honeymoon. She also had Mavis and Roy stand and recognized their engagement. Roy gave Mavis a gentle squeeze and looked thrilled to bask in Mavis' beauty and happy smile.

We brought Bert home. Laura was going to spend the afternoon and evening with Frankie at Pam and Frank's. Bert told us he was waiting for his partner. We looked at each other blankly. That was the first we had heard of this.

It was late that night when he woke us gurgling happily. In our minds, we overheard him say, "Hello, Hannah! Hello, Luminlight! We're so glad to meet you!"

Lisa beat me to it. "Who is Hannah?"

Bert said, "Hannah is Stan and Irene's daughter. Luminlight is her partner. I sent Stan and Irene your congratulations."

"Thank you." I said. I felt left out to know that aliens were partnering without our active effort. On the other hand, I knew this day would come as the partnered population increased.

Stan and Irene called us the next morning and said that they knew we knew from our son. We offered our congratulations. They asked to meet for dinner and Lisa invited them to our home warning them that it would be a simple meal. Irene responded that it wasn't the food but the talking that motivated them. I could tell that they were concerned about something.

That evening, they came over to our home and we sat down in the living room. Irene said, "As you know, I am pregnant. This is a concern because I hadn't gone off birth control yet. Stan and I had talked it through and I would be stopping the pills this month. I had taken one yesterday morning."

Lisa and I were both surprised at this information. This suggested that the aliens were overruling our bodies' intent. I brought Stargazer to my mind and said out loud, "Stargazer, we need to talk."

Stan said, "Starlight, we need your active participation in this conversation, too."

I said, "Brightgazer, Luminlight, you need to be listening and responding also."

Irene said, "Starlight, you manipulated my body. I was going to be taking my pills for the rest of this month but I managed to get pregnant last night. What do you know about that?"

Starlight said, "I knew of your discussion with Stan and was looking forward to you becoming pregnant in the normal course of time. I did not do anything. Luminlight had wanted a partner and, when asked, she would be ready for a partner. We had heard that Bert and Brightgazer were desiring partners."

Stan said, "Luminlight, what have you got to say about this?"

We all heard her female sounding voice. "Stan, we didn't 'do' anything. I was waiting to reveal myself to a new child if it were a girl. Another friend was waiting if there is a boy conceived. We heard the spark that was Hannah and she gave me admittance. We didn't do anything. We wouldn't without your permission. Manipulating a person's body without permission is not acceptable behavior for us. Even when Lisa was hurt and dying, Stargazer wouldn't intervene until Al asked for help."

Stargazer's voice said, "We have, since Laura was conceived, had partners ready for couples considering a child. Knowing that Stan and Irene were going to actively try to have a child made them a couple to watch. There are two other couples that are being watched while they are trying to get the female partner pregnant. However, we would not intervene unless asked like when I made Lisa harmonious a number of your years ago.

"Our relationships with our human partners are based upon trust and we know it is tenuous. We must not violate that trust. Two of us had partners but have them no longer. Brightshine ceased to exist when Jack and Emily died and he lost all energy trying to save them from death. Starbaring lost his male partner when his human partners separated. The female partner later sent him away having found her situation to be too unhealthy. He wanders the solar system hoping that one of us will call him to partner again with a human."

Irene said, "Then, my becoming pregnant just happened?"

Starlight said, "Yes, Irene. We were ready because you and Stan were preparing for a child but nothing further. As you all know, we can sense the spirit catching life in a woman's womb. We now wait for those moments with great anticipation. I like the name you had picked for a daughter, Hannah."

Irene said quietly, "It was my grandmother's name. She was a neat lady."

I said, "Beings, it was not a good surprise in some ways though it seems to be turning out okay." I paused. "Is there some way we can ask you to monitor our bodies? For instance, Karen and John don't need this kind of surprise at this time in their lives."

After a moment, Stargazer answered thoughtfully. "I can see your point, Al. Yes, but we will need to talk to our human partners and ask their permission. We cannot interfere once the baby is started but, until then, we can warn and help a person's body avoid pregnancy until they desire it." He chuckled sounding exactly like a mixture of Lisa and me. "Do you want to be warned?"

Lisa sputtered. "Yes! It's too soon though physically possible for me. Al and I need to talk about a third child first."

That eased the tension and we had a simple dinner in our kitchen. We enjoyed our time with Stan and Irene. They rarely needed or wanted help but were always ready to help others. They were and are good friends. It looked like our children might bring us closer!

After supper, we went into the living room to sit and talk some more. Hannah made her way into the conversation! Bert was right with her asking to be brought out from his crib.

I brought him out and said, "There is nothing to see. Hannah is so small that it would take a special microscope to see her. She can't see you through our eyes or hear you through our ears."

"I know, father. She can tell that I'm physically close. We'll be quiet. We will talk quietly getting to know each other."

"Stan, I think it's worse having a girl. Laura left us uncomfortable as she and Frankie got to know each other."

Irene said, "Where is Laura tonight?"

Lisa said, "She's at Pam and Frank's tonight. They have talked us into to letting them freely go between the houses." Irene looked surprised. "Yes, they gang up on you. Karen started using them to represent her interests when she wanted to do something she knew we weren't too sure about. Those two are more than capable of arguing with any adult and do it successfully."

I said, "How do you argue with an infant that has to hold to something to stand and uses better English than you do?"

Stan chuckled and said, "Not very well, I would guess." We all chuckled at that. We let the "kids" talk while we enjoyed the other couple's presence.

I said, "Stan, I thought you passed the Captain's test before Irene got her lieutenant's bars."

"I did but there are no vacancies at Captain. I do get the pay but I'm still a detective like Irene. At least we get the better shifts now."

Lisa said, "What are the rules for pregnant ladies?"

Stan said, "They have to be careful!"

Irene said, "Allowances will be made for my future inability to run. As long as I am willing and do the job, I can stay. There is a desk job that rotates for pregnant women and disabled guys. I'll be off for a month after the birth. That will be when we will have to make some tougher decisions about work."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.