Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3 - Cover

Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 16

They met us in the kitchen dressed and ready to go. We had coffee and a light breakfast and left for CME in my car. John had noticed that I handed Lisa into the car and went around to get in myself. He did that this morning and I think Karen gave him an eyeful in appreciation for his effort. Lisa always does for me.

We pulled in at the parking lot and handed our respective ladies out. We walked in to hugs and kisses mostly for Karen.

Lisa grabbed Angela and Red, told them what we were going to do, and had them gather the troops. We gathered in the shop area. I helped Lisa stand on a structure and she said, "Good morning. I am sure that all of you have now heard the tragic news. Our company's president and chief executive officer, Jack Edwards and his wife, Emily, died in the crash of their jet on the way back from their vacation. I loved and appreciated Jack and Emily. Their daughter, Karen, is with us this morning along with John Long, her guy. If Karen wants to speak, we will listen."

Karen nodded. John and I helped her up beside Lisa. She said, "I've have gotten to know so many of you over this weekend. Thank you for seeing me and for your kind words. Please keep me in your prayers." Lisa gave her a squeeze and let her back down to John's arms. As she did, the employees started clapping. I could see tears in many eyes.

After the clapping stopped, Lisa said, "We are all saddened. Please do pray for John and Emily's family and for the families of all the victims of the crash. There will be a memorial service for Jack and Emily on Saturday at eleven at the Methodist church. In memory of Jack and Emily, we will close CME for the remainder of today and tomorrow. We will start back to work Wednesday. Everyone will be paid. Please use this time to reflect and care for your families. Thank you for listening." She had me help her down to more applause. She hugged and I shook hands with many. Karen and John were treated similarly. Angela was crying openly. She and Jack had worked together for many years.

We gradually made our way to the office area. I told Ellen to put a special message on the phones and then had to help her put in on. Ellen had a good phone voice and we used her voice to record the announcement. As soon as we finished, we put it on. We began to close things down just like for a weekend. It was another half hour before we could leave but we did and returned home by way of Jack and Emily's house. Karen looked lost for the first time. John took her in his arms and held her tightly as she sobbed. He moved them to a couch and they sat together and cried.

Finally, she moved to stand and John jumped to give her his hand. She said, "Momma Lisa, please come help me pack for the next couple of weeks. I need to bring more formal clothes for this time. We can move the rest of my stuff later. Is that okay?"

"Of course, dear. I'll be glad to help. They walked into Karen's bedroom. A moment later, Lisa called out, "Al, John, we need you to carry clothes."

John and I went in and took armfuls of clothes out to my car where we laid them in the trunk. While out at the car, John said, "Where will Karen go?"

I replied, "Lisa and I are her guardians. Unless she wants differently, she will stay with us. She will be at your house some like always. You are welcome at our house. At some point, we will talk to her about what to do with this house but there is no hurry. We will also have to work out logistics for you two. Driving can't happen for a while."

We went back inside for another load. The ladies accompanied us this time and we went on to our house. We brought the clothes into the room that Karen had been using. Lisa said, "We can decorate it to suit you."

She said, "John in the bed is all the decoration I want." She realized what she said and blushed hotly. Lisa and I laughed heartily.

I weakly added, "How does it feel to be a sex object, John?" Lisa and I laughed even harder at the teenagers' discomfort. They eventually joined into the laughter until we were all weak. We all needed that laugh.

The week passed with people still coming by. The Stevenson's were regularly over. Paul had gone into work but Linda had picked up the Stevenson's and brought them over Monday. I grew to like Marla and Jeff. They made no demands upon Karen and saw John's caring ways. They made it known they appreciated him. I had received a call from Irene that Missus Edwards was still hospitalized due to an injection that may render her a vegetable. Her husband was being held on a charge of attempted murder as well as using his firearms to threaten people. He hadn't been able to make bail and no one had stepped forward to get him out. I thanked her for the update.

We had a few people come by during the day though it picked up that evening. I called the airline that afternoon asked for a status update. They said that no survivors had been found though a few bodies had come to the surface. I gave them Emily and Jack's names and explained my relationship to them legally. They put me on a list with my address and phone number for notifications and to receive the death certificate. The Florida coroner would issue the certificates next week. I called Frank and gave him the information I had been given. He had been to court and filed everything. He would drop a stamped as filed copy of the order with the case number on it this evening on his way home.

On Wednesday, I went into C and C and Lisa to CME. Everyone was saddened. Red led the shop to have a banner month in memory of Jack and Emily. With Lisa helping him, they actually set a record that stood for two years for one month's production until we had expanded to make it possible to increase production simply from size. Lisa would continue to work through her pregnancy now. We had no one ready for that leadership position. Red didn't want it. He and Lisa talked about training up some of our men to find a leader. They would be subtle about it because Lisa felt she could continue to work.

Laura supported her mother in continuing to work. She said, "I'll be a good baby, Mom. Frankie and I can continue to talk to each other. Dad can bring me into his office and we can lie together."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.