Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3 - Cover

Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 5

I headed toward her car. "Come on. I'll introduce you."

As I approached, Lisa came into my arms and kissed me thoroughly. "Love, meet Ted Allen. He's one of two who stuck it out here. He's a good guy and is going to be a lot of help. Ted, this is my wife, Lisa."

Lisa took his hand gently and said, "Ted, I'm glad to meet you. Thank you for sticking it out. I think you'll find CIC is going to be a good company."

I looked around quickly. The others had gone inside. I said, "Lisa, Ted needs some help with reading and writing. I said that you could line something up on company time to help him out."

"Ted, we will do that. I will set something up to start next week. It will be tough but, if you want it, we will help you."

Ted blushed. "Missus Chambers, I will do my best. I will make you proud of me." His eyes told me that Lisa had another admirer.

"Ted, call me Lisa. We're all co-workers. Would you show me around? I'm particularly interested in the metal inventory."

"Yes, ma'am! Most of our inventory is stainless and back over here." He started to lead off.

"Let me change shoes. Heels aren't really practical out here. Help me, Al, and then go in and help Mitch direct the mob." She laughed. She had her boots in the back. She popped the trunk and I put them on the ground. She pulled her heels off and tossed them in the trunk stepping into the boots. I tied the laces. She gave me a light kiss and said, "Okay, Ted. Let's go look. My company is looking for stainless. Al, send Jack out soon."

They went out into the yard to look at steel. I went inside and found Jack. "Jack, Lisa wants your help in reviewing the stainless here."

"She's already running things!" Jack laughed. "I'll get a clipboard from the truck and join her."

I walked into Mitch's new office as he was saying, "Red, I'm not sure what to do first. There is so much to be done."

Red said, "Mitch, you're smart. Pick a point and start. There are enough places that you can't be very wrong. Lisa is over here and you brought Melody with you. That's two of my favorite three ladies. My Annie said she would come help if you want her."

Mitch said huskily, "That's faith. Okay, we'll start with cleaning this pig sty."

I said, "Good. I'll get some black bags."

When I came back in, I saw that Melody had guys finishing the cleanup of the conference room and the other offices. She, Angela, and Stephanie were sitting together around one desk going over the software that Olsen's had used. Angela saw me. "Al, we need to buy software and computers for CIC. This stuff is junk. I have Ellen on her way here to put together a list."

"It's fine. Crank it up. We will get some sales next week and I want us able to handle them."

Stephanie looked surprised. She said, "You don't waste time."

As I left for Mitch's office, I heard Melody say, "That's why CME and C and C do well. We sell it and then we do it. That's what we're going to do here. It's a lot more fun to make money than to lose money."

We loaded garbage bags until finished with three full bags of paper that had no meaning. Some of the garbage was crazy, off-the-wall religious tracts and some of it was hopelessly out of date sales literature. Mitch's office was bare but clean when we finished. I said, "Now, you can personalize it." I grinned. "If nothing else, put pictures of Melody in there so others have something pleasant to look at when they are here."

"Thanks, you're really building my confidence."

"Mitch, you'll be going with my wife or mother in-law. Your looks are not vaguely going to be important to your customers. You'll have to make it on ability, just like you have with me."

Jack came in and laughed. "Mitch, that was some confidence builder."

Mitch grinned. "Watch it, buddy, or I'll sic Karen on you."

Melody called, "Mitch, guys, it's time for lunch." We went into the conference room that looked much better.

I slid in next to Lisa and gave her waist a squeeze. I looked down and she was wearing her boots with her mini dress. I grinned. She looked at me and then down. She grinned also. "I should have brought my coveralls. At least, I brought my boots.

"We found a lot of steel that CME can use. I'm taking a copy of the list for Janet."

I said, "How is her hunt for a replacement for Garrett?"

"She is looking for someone with more steel experience. Garrett will only be a phone call away. I think Mitch may have designs on a few of my shop employees. He's going to have to get business first."

"He will. He's a hard worker and it's his chance to put his mark on something."

She smirked. "Just before we stopped for lunch, he was helping carry black bags to the dumpster."

I raised my voice and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Chambers Industrial Controls. Melody and Mitch and Lisa and I appreciate your help. You are helping to give birth to a new enterprise. Please give CIC's president a hand." There was hearty applause. "Mitch, if you would ask God's blessing on our enterprise and for this food."

Mitch's prayer was simple and direct. We all dug in to the various flavors of pizza available. There was no drink machine and Lisa had ordered cold drinks and cups with our lunch. I noticed that every time someone thought of something, Melody was making a note. Ellen had arrived in time to eat before going over the hardware and software. After lunch, she went into the open office area and started making her own list. In a short time, she came to me and said, "Mister Al, there is one computer in there that is worth saving. The rest and the software on them are junk. I can get a few dollars as a trade but don't expect much."

"That's fine, Ellen. We need a setup like CME though initially smaller but with good expansion room."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.