Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

"Mitch, let us go first. We have the training. Stay close. You're our backup. Watch our backs for surprises." He wasn't happy but nodded. We snuck into the yard and to the side of the house. There was an open window. Ben pointed at it and at himself. I nodded. I went to the back door and tried the handle. To my surprise, it wasn't locked. I opened it carefully watching for traps but saw none. I went inside followed closely by Mitch. They had Melody stripped to the waist and were laying her over a bench. She was crying. I walked in and stood against a wall. I said, "It's over again. Let her go." Joel's wife lifted her arm with the whip. I shot it from her grip shattering her hand. Everyone else stayed very still.

Melody looked our way and saw me and her husband. He moved forward pulling her off the bench and into his arms. I said, "Bring her back here, Mitch." They moved to the wall. He put his jacket around her shoulders. "I'm waiting for the rest of our group to give an 'all clear' before we do anything." I looked at the other two women in the room. "One of you might want to bandage her hand and slow the bleeding. If any of you try anything, the next bullet will kill."

A moment later, I heard a shot and then some noise. A door across the room opened violently as a body came through it. It wasn't Ben though was male. Ben came through holding his arm. It was bleeding a little from a graze. He looked at me and said, "I'm getting old and slow." He looked down at the body on the floor. "He's old, slower, and dumb, too. The house is clear." I looked at his arm. He said, "I'm good. I will take a guard position to watch the front. I see Mitch's wife, where's Pam?" I shrugged. He left to go to the front of the house. I noticed he had a pistol in his belt now. The man on the floor didn't move.

Melody had told Mitch softly that she was okay. I looked over and saw her bra and blouse over to one side. I said pointing at one of the women, "You, get her clothes and hand them to her. Move slowly and keep your hands in view." She was trembling but did as she was told. I took a step forward to give Melody a chance to dress behind me.

A moment later, she said, "Okay. Thanks, Al." The man on the floor started to moan.

I said, "Mitch, will you frisk all of them? Their modesty isn't important but staying out of my line of fire is. Give Melody your pistol." It was a revolver and she cocked the hammer.

Moving carefully, he checked each of the women carefully including feeling their underclothes and crotches. He found a small derringer between one woman's legs when he felt something and raised her skirt. He removed it and put it in his pocket. She was the first and made him more aware of my instructions to disregard modesty. He found no more firearms but did find a nasty little knife. The man was starting to stand with a large bruise on the side of his head. Mitch went over him thoroughly and removed two knives.

He moved away and said, "Not very trusting of their fellow man, were they?"

I responded, "It's good to be armed when you desire to commit mayhem."

My phone rang and I fished it out of my pocket. It was Lisa. "What is happening?"

I replied. "We got here in time. They were going to whip Melody and had stripped her to the waist but nothing further. They have two hurt but we're fine."

"Frank just called. Pam and Frankie are missing. You may have company coming."

I heard a car enter the drive. "Funny you should say that. They are entering now. Bye."

I looked at Melody. "Can you hold them?" She nodded. "Shoot to kill. They aren't worth any risk. Their friends have Pam and Frankie." Her face hardened and she nodded. "Mitch, take my pistol and let me have the little one. Stay behind me. They have Pam and Frankie." He nodded.

We went through the door the man had come through and saw Ben. I went to him. "They have Pam and her baby. Be careful. Let's try not to shoot." We stood at the door. Through the window, we could see two men and a woman. They came in the door with the lead man saying, "Art?" Ben took him down and I went past Pam and took the guy in back down hard. I had seen a bruise on Pam's face.

It was over. Pam recognized me and gave me a hug while holding Frankie. I called Lisa. "Tell Frank, we have Pam and Frankie. They're okay and they're safe.

"Is Stan there?"

"Yes, Al."

"Let me talk to him."

"Hi, Al."

"Stan, it looks like everyone is accounted for. You're at the only place where we aren't holding bad guys. What do we do from here?"

He thought for a moment. "I'll send Irene to CME. Is anyone hurt there?"

I thought. "Only bad guys. One was shot in the arm and a couple of others are bruised when they resisted."

"Good. What about where you are?"

"Three hurt plus one dead. I hit one harder than I meant to. Two are bruised and one has a hand wound. All of our people are fine."

"That's the way it should be. I called for help. They are ready to help where needed. It looks like time to investigate and file charges."

"Yeah. We should have last time rather than shame them."

"Okay, I will have Todd Evans and a couple of patrol cars and a police ambulance come to your location. Irene is calling. I'll talk to you later."

Five minutes later, I heard sirens. I said, "We will have company in a few minutes."

The cars drew up outside and a man came forward. "Al Chambers, I am Todd Evans. Are you in there?"

I stood at the door with my hands empty and in clear sight. "Mister Evans, Stan told me you were coming. We're fine but have some people who didn't want to give up their captives and got hurt. Come in, please."

From that point, we played the usual police game until I tired of the standard procedure they were following. "Detective Evans, either you arrest us and I'll call Milt Jones, or treat us civilly. All we have done is protect loved ones. We haven't done anything wrong. Stan called you. I don't think he expected this attitude."

Todd looked angry for a moment and then backed off. He said, "Who is in your party?"

I pointed and named them. "Ben has an arm wound that's still untreated though you have had the bad guys treated. Mitch is there. His wife, Melody, was a kidnap victim. Pam and her baby were taken from their home and brought here by force." I looked at him. I said, "Either arrest us or let us go. You have our information and we need to see our marital partners and get Ben's arm looked over."

He said, "I'm not letting you go."

I pulled my phone and dialed Milt Jones. "Milt, this is Al Chambers. I am at a kidnapping of a very good friend and her baby from her home and an employee who was taken from our office. Two of my co-workers and I rescued them. Todd Evans is here and he will be shooting me in a moment when I walk out. Would you like to talk to him first and try to get this resolved? He won't arrest us or release us. I am being held at gun point against my will."

I handed the phone to Evans. He said, "Chief? Yes, sir. But, Chief. Yes, sir. I will arrest them, then."

I speed dialed Frank and said, "Listen." I put the phone on speaker. Evans said, "Chambers, you are under arrest for breaking and entering with other charges pending. Any thing you say can and will be used against you in a court of law, if you can't afford a lawyer one will be appointed for you..."

I turned the phone off speaker. "He's also arresting your wife and baby. You might want to have Marv meet us at police headquarters with you. I'm really quite angry and this guy is going to be in deep trouble. Call the papers. I think they will love this story." I paused. "Thanks, Frank. We will see you there."

Evans had a distinctly unhappy look on his face. I looked at him and said, "Okay, load us up and haul us away. I hope you have alternate career plans. I know that's not what your chief recommended. I will file a complaint against the department. By the way, I will warn Stan that you are no friend of his."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.