A Nation Forged - Cover

A Nation Forged

Copyright© 2013 by Invid Fan

Chapter 17

The damned Ball had not even started, and James was already running late.

He strolled quickly down the palace hallway, guards behind him trying to keep up. The sounds of servants and staff working on last minute preparations echoed from every direction. Those who passed him, hurriedly carrying their burdens, gave the barest of respectful nods. He understood perfectly, his own acknowledgment not much better.

Why had he agreed to all this?

The dance itself would probably be fine. An excuse for him to hold at least two dozen young women as they moved and twirled over the course of the evening. A rare chance to enjoy the more immoral side of power. Not that he'd be taking advantage of the women, placing his hands in inappropriate places. However, he fully expected some of them to be doing their best to do some last minute lobbying for the job of his Queen. By the time the evening was over, he'd probably be, as the saying went, as hard as Chinese Algebra.

Nothing about what was down the hall would have that effect.

He paused before the closed door to his office, composing himself. Adamczyk stiffened to attention beside the doorway, his pike coming up to the proper position.

"Your Grace. The Kikker Chief and his daughter are inside."

"Thank you. You're relieved."

"Thank you, Your Grace." The soldier saluted, stepping aside as Duda and Nowak took their positions on either side of the door. As the man quickly moved to his next assignment, James entered his office.

Chief Ajani rose from the cushioned chair against the wall, a smile on his large face. The Kikker leader wore a toga of golden rope, thick strands braided in intricate patterns but still covering relatively little. He met James in the center of the room, right hand outstretched.

"King James! Greetings!"

James could not help but smile. His Polish was getting better. He took the Chief's hand, giving and getting a firm squeeze.

"Greetings, Chief Ajani. Thank you for coming."

"You think I would not come, and miss the party? You Polish throw such good parties!"

The image of the large frog man dancing at his coronation, empty wine glass in his hand, brought another smile to the King. He'd already assigned one of his men to keep an eye on the Chief.

"While you ARE here for the Ball, that's not why we need to talk now." James glanced over at Ola's desk. Adanya and Bogdi stood beside it, nervous. Ajani most likely thought Bogdi was there simply as an escort. He nodded to them.

"I know something is up," Chief Ajani said, voice now serious. "There is much movement, rumor."

"Too much." James motioned to a chair. "Sit." Grabbing a different one, he pulled it out, turning it to face the Kikker. James sat with a sigh. Ajani leaned forward, webbed hands on his knees.

"What is going on, my friend?"

"We have, my friend, a situation. One I did not imagine possible, and which both our peoples may react violently to."

"That does not sound good."

"No, it does not." He motioned to Bogdi and Adanya. Her father's eyes widened as the two approached.

"Adanya?"

"Father." She smiled a nervous smile. James saw the hulking Bogdi take her hand. The soldier took a half step forward.

"Sir. I love your daughter. We have ... mated."

The Chief blinked. Then blinked again. His face became one of confusion.

"Adanya ... I do not disapprove, naturally. You know I love you, and whatever your heart tells you I will allow. You have not shown much interest in those who pursued you, but frankly I did not think much of them either..."

"There are EGGS, Father."

Another blink.

"Eggs."

"Yes."

Silence fell on the room.

James honestly did not know how the man would react. And he did think of him as a man. One had to. It was the only way to mentally cope. Plus, he liked Ajani. The Kikker was just a nice guy.

The Chief's brown splotchy body sagged in his chair, head bowed. His voice was barely over a whisper.

"Where are they?"

"In the hot spring, Father."

"Are they..."

Releasing Bogdi's hand, Adanya moved to Ajani's side, dropping down onto both knees beside him. She placed a hand on his.

"They are well. They may hatch in a few days."

"HOW?" The Chief raised his gaze to James, disbelief on his face. "You Poles don't even have eggs!"

"Actually," James corrected, a tired laugh in his voice, "we do. Women release one egg a month, and if it is fertilized it 'hatches' and grows for nine months inside her before coming out." Now Bogdi had a look of surprised disbelief. James ignored him. "That's not important, though. This is beyond anything I'm used to. I know how my people feel about this kind of thing. What do we do?"

"Do?" Ajani straightened. Reaching out, he placed a hand on his daughter's head. "I do what any father would do. My people will accept my grandchildren. We will raise them in our village."

A wave of relief flowed throughout James. He released a breath he didn't realize he had held.

"Thank you. Ask for anything you may need. It is yours."

"Thank you, my friend." The Kikker Chief rose. "Now, I think I need some of your Polish drink."


"Wow! You're beautiful, Lady Shanna!"

Young Ruta's exclamation confirmed what Shanna could already tell. While she was a jeans and t-shirt kind of woman, she DID look great in a dress. More, the woman who had talked her into this one was a genius. It simply flowed down her curves, not hugging her body so much as teasing at what lay beneath. The neckline was not too low, but then she was not hunting that evening. She turned, watching the fabric move in the full length mirror.

"Green is my color, I think."

"I should say so," Ewa replied. Stepping closer, the blonde adjusted the yellow rope belt. "There. Are you sure you don't want to do something with your hair?"

Shanna laughed, a hand going up to her dense curls.

"I do not think your fashions take Afros into account. No, I'm good." She looked across the room. "How about you, Anelie?"

A young maid was braiding ribbons into the redhead's hair as she sat at Ewa's vanity. Anelie looked at Shanna via the mirror, clearly afraid to move lest she ruin whatever styling was in the works.

"I'm good. Thank you for this, Lady Ewa!"

"Oh, you are welcome! We women must stick together!" Shanna watched the girl as she crossed the room, stopping by Ruta to check the girl's makeup. The non-Queen was clearly enjoying herself, playing the part of mother to them. And, she had to admit, Shanna was enjoying being doted on. Not since Prom had she dressed up.

There was a knock on the door. It opened a moment later, a female page stepping inside the Royal Chambers. She gave a brief bow.

"Lady Shanna. Lieutenant Piotr Kosciuszko of the Royal Hussars sends his greetings, and wishes to know when he will have the pleasure of seeing you and Lady Anelie."

She could not help but grin. Today was a day for silly formality. Shanna glanced at Ewa. Ewa considered, eyes giving Anelie a searching look.

"Another half hour, I think," Ewa said. "There is no reason for any of us to be early."


The look on Piotr's face made the entire rest of the evening superfluous.

Shanna curtsied, hands lifting the hem of her dress. She did not lower her eyes, though. No shy maiden she. No, she kept her gaze on the dashing soldier before her. His eyes were almost popping out of his head, hand clenching the hilt of the sword belted to his waist. Rising, she chuckled.

"You like, I take it?"

"Oh, yes!" He shook his head, as if to clear it. "You're beautiful IN armor, but out of it! Wow!"

Several comments came to her mind, but she discarded all of them. Anelie was beside her, and Shanna had forbidden herself from any extreme flirting with EITHER of them. Tonight, they would just be friends.

Piotr, to her surprise, took a step towards Anelie, bowing to her.

"You look amazing too, Lady Anelie. Your hair is exquisite."

The redhead blushed, eyes down on the floor. Obviously, he had not made any such promise. Well, that was not Shanna's problem. She reached out, touching the girl's arm.

"I think we should enter, now. Dazzle the nobles with our unobtainable beauty."

"Agreed," Piotr said. Turning, he extended an arm towards her. Shanna took it. Looking at Anelie, he offered his other arm to her. A determined, yet mirthful, look came over her eyes. Ignoring Piotr, Anelie walked around them and took Shanna's free arm. Shanna laughed.

"Oh ho! So, it's scandal among our betters, is it?"

"You don't mind, do you?" Anelie asked, voice soft. Shanna shook her head.

"Naw. Compared to everything else going on, what's a little lesbianism thrown in? Hell, it will be amusing to see which other women look jealous." She reached up with her right hand, disentangling from Piotr so she could adjust her glasses. She took his arm again. "OK. Let's go."


James danced.

The music was polka-ish, not yet that style but obviously its precursor. A dozen other influences seemed mixed in as well, some recognizably human, some not. The dancing, too, seemed a strange mix. It was not ballroom, which did not surprise him. That was probably much more modern than movies would have you believe. The one which seemed the most popular was a form of line dance, males and females facing each other. The two lines would come together, then part, with much clapping and laughing. At seemingly random intervals you grabbed your partner and spun around together, finally releasing them only to find the men and women had switched sides of the room. Often one couple would get the timing wrong, ending up on the wrong side to the amusement of all.

There was also a couple's dance. The music here was somewhat slower, depending. You could actually pay attention to your partner in these, your hands usually on their waist, or bare arms. Much more romantic, sexual.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.