A Nation Forged
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2013 by Invid Fan

The 1st Polish Cavalry made its way through the forest, the road barely visible in the moonlight.

This was not how Shanna wanted to return home. Sneaking back at night, hoping to God above that nobody saw them. But, then, this isn't how she had wanted to be a soldier.

She turned her head, looking back down the line of her men. Past the five Elves, dark cloaks hiding their non-human features. Past Anelie, the teen girl she should never have let come. Her eyes focused on Helmut, his lifeless form wrapped in linen, draped over the saddle of his horse.

She had killed him.

It had been a game. Despite all these people had been through, all the death and war around them, she had thought it was a game. Being a soldier. Fighting. Training. Even as she knew the truth of war, the evilness of it, the horror ... the movies and stories she had grown up with STILL romanticized it. Still implanted in her young mind the idea that there was honor to be had, glory. Fun. And ... it had been. The months she had been here, once the loss of her entire family, entire world, was discounted, had been some of the happiest in her life. She loved her men. Loved them in ways she had not thought possible. The love and friendship ... no, love and LOYALTY they returned overwhelmed her.

And she had killed one of them.

She didn't want this. Wasn't cut out for this. Didn't want to fight. To ... kill. As she returned her gaze to the dark road ahead, the face of the second Elf she had fought rose before her. Her blade hacked into his neck. Red blood spurting out. The pain, the horror, in his eyes.

She had murdered.

Daddy hadn't raised his daughter to be a murderer.

Her eyes closed. Shanna was tired. That was all. When was the last time she had slept? Truly slept? Before they set sail from the Frog village, probably. Two days ago. God. Only two days?

She wished Piotr was here.

Anelie rode up beside her. Back in full armor, the redhead's long braid extended from the back of her helmet like a tail. A ... head tail. Shanna was distracted for a moment, wondering if the girl had cut a hole in the metal cone to make room. It was too dark to tell, and she couldn't remember if she had noticed before. She blinked, yawning.

"What is it, Anelie?"

"It's our guests, Lady Shanna. They're not used to horses. I think they need a stop, so we can adjust the saddles."

Shanna was tempted to not care what the blasted Elves needed. She wanted to get home, a home only an hour away. Still, as always, the girl had a point. She raised a hand, reining in her mount.

"Good idea. OK, everyone, short break. Jacek, set out four pickets, make sure we're not disturbed."

"Yes, Lady."

"Anelie." The girl stopped in the process of dismounting, moving back up into her saddle. "I should have sent someone before. Go on ahead, get the fort ready for us. One room for the Queen, another for her men. Somewhere we can guard but which gives them room."

Anelie considered.

"There's those three rooms on the west end. If I kick those two cooks out, that gives them a common room."

"It's a thought. Go see what works."

"Yes, Lady Shanna!" Even in the dark, Shanna could see the glow on the girl's face, the excitement at being trusted enough to do this. She could only laugh tiredly as Anelie kicked into the side of her beast, setting off on her mission.

What would Shanna do without her?


The wooden gates of home.

Shanna led the column into the fort. Lanterns were lit, hanging from posts around the parade ground. To her surprise, it looked like Anelie had awoken every person in the place. Cooks, stable boys ... wives.

Helmut's wife stood alone, surrounded by her adopted family. The dark haired woman was almost at attention, shoulders back, eyes on the returning soldiers. The other women of the fort were arrayed behind her, silent. Shanna felt tears coming once again. Reining in, she quickly dismounted.

"Close the gates!"

Two men ran to swing the large log doors shut. Shanna moved forward, eyes on the widow.

"Melisa, I'm sorry."

"I'm a soldier's wife. I ... I knew..."

The facade broke. A wail of sorrow burst forth from the woman, face buried in her hands. The women of the fort erupted towards her, a wave of comfort and sympathy. Shanna stood there a moment, letting grief have its time. Her eyes found Anelie, standing a bit aside from the other women, black armor in stark contrast to their house dresses and nightgowns. She didn't know how to interpret the girl's expression. Nor did it matter. With a deep sigh, Shanna raised her voice.

"We will grieve, but now there is a matter of life and death that you must know." All eyes fell on her. "Starting now, we will have guests staying with us. Guests who are to be treated well, no matter what hate you feel in your heart. They will be kept under guard, but not under lock and key."

There were gasps. Turning, Shanna saw that Catty had let the hood of her cloak fall away. Her men did the same, the murmurs from the humans increasing as the nature of the visitors became clear. Shanna spoke more firmly.

"No mention of our visitors is to be made outside this fort until King James decides to announce their presence. If you love him ... if you love me..." She said the last reluctantly. She did not feel like she deserved their love right then. "You will keep this knowledge secret, safe. I am trusting the safety of all of Poland to you."

She smiled a tired smile.

"And there are no people in this world I trust more."


"I hope these rooms work, for now. In the morning we can arrange better."

Shanna watched as the Elven Queen moved into the first bedroom. Two beds, little more than cots, stood on one side, a small nightstand between them. A small writing desk, a table with two chairs. Sparse furnishings, as un-royal as could be imagined. Still, they were clean, warm. Secure. Catty turned to her.

"We have slept in far worse. Thank you."

"Is there anything you need, while most of my people are still up?"

The young Elf considered, looking around.

"Perhaps ... a pitcher of water, and glasses?"

"Of course." Shanna turned to the woman behind her. "Brygitta, could you go to the kitchen?"

The woman's expression said all, but she nodded to Shanna and left on her task. Shanna sighed. You could not blame them for the hate. Not after all that had happened. Not after one of their own had died for these Elves. BECAUSE of these Elves. Shanna leaned against the doorframe, arms folded over her armored chest.

"You can divide yourselves up however you want, as these three rooms are yours. I won't set a guard on each door, but there will be guards down the hall. They're there to protect you as much as to protect us, so don't do anything to make them nervous. If you need something, just let them know then return to your room."

"I understand, Lady Shanna. Thank you."

The Elf nodded, making a sort of curtsy with her dress. Shanna just let out a tired sigh.

"Oh, you're welcome, Lady Catty. Good night."


Shanna stood in her room, wooden door swinging shut behind her. It closed with a solid click, its latch catching.

She was alone.

Her eyes closed, the dim glow of the oil lamps someone had lit for her still seen through her eyelids. She didn't want to be alone. Not tonight. Not after all of this.

Piotr.

She wanted Piotr. Needed him. Why wasn't he here? Yes, she had sent him back to the palace, and, yes, he probably was with his men, doing the King's bidding, but why wasn't he here? Why hadn't he set all that aside, come to the fort to greet her? Or ridden back up the road to meet up with them?

Didn't he know she needed to be held?

God, she was pathetic. Opening her eyes, her fingers went to the side straps on her breastplate. And why wasn't Anelie there, to help her? Just because the girl was no longer her page or squire or whatever, and was a real soldier, was no reason she shouldn't be there to help Shanna ... OK, yes it was. Shanna let out a small laugh. She could get out of her own clothes from now on. She was a big girl. Tired fingers worked the buckles.

With a bang, the black armor fell to the floor.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.