Kate - Cover

Kate

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 10

Andrew woke at his usual time but stayed where he was revelling in the fact that there was no rush and, more importantly, his love for Katrina. He found it difficult to believe after her reaction the previous evening that she could hold out much longer. All the same, he had promised her patience and gentleness and he would go on doing so.

Katrina had woken at her usual time too. She listened for signs of Andrew being on the move but heard none. She would have loved to get up and have breakfast ready for him when he emerged but she was unsure of what she could manage with her arm in plaster so she lay and listened. She suddenly realised that she was totally at peace. The anxiety about Nigel and Andrew had faded indeed disappeared. She was not prepared to accept that a miracle had occurred overnight but she welcomed a relaxed 'que sera' feeling.

Andrew finally bestirred himself at half past eight and padded downstairs in dressing gown and slippers. Katrina had heard him and was not far behind.

"Good morning, my lovely," he greeted her with open arms.

She went into them and returned his kiss, not a special one.

"Not that lovely," she smiled. "I haven't even done my hair."

"Quite understandable," he smiled. "You couldn't wait to be with me."

"You flatter yourself. I'm hungry."

"Ah, so boiled eggs, even though it's a Sunday, are orf."

"Please, sir, may I have a proper fried breakfast."

"For you, my Katrina, anything."

She got the lot: bacon, eggs, fried bread, tomatoes, mushrooms.

"I haven't offered you baked beans," Andrew said apologetically, "because I didn't want to risk you farting at lunch time."

That was so un-Andrew-like that for a moment Katrina was speechless then she laughed and laughed.

"Oh!" she gasped finally. "Oh! My correct and pompous barrister!"

She burst into helpless laughter again and then flung herself at him and hugged him as best she could. "Oh, my Andrew, my sweet funny Andrew. I..." She checked herself. "You are so special to me."

Andrew took that in.

After she had finished her breakfast and was sipping a second mug of coffee Andrew took her hand.

"Girlfriend," he said. "Just between you and me, you haven't had a shower for thirty-six hours and I suspect that you may be beginning to pong a bit."

Katrina blushed and nodded.

"Now, I'm more than happy to help you take a shower but it would be rather more revealing than last night."

Her blush deepened. "I-I do need to have a proper wash but um, Andrew, thank you but I-I'm not ready for you to help me with a shower."

"OK. I quite understand so what have you in mind?"

"Well, the bath has that small shower head and I could use that to do a strip wash."

"OK but I'll give you a rubber glove to wear. Promise not to get your cast wet otherwise I may have to smack your bot."

She giggled and relaxed. "I'll take great care."

"What about your bra?"

"I thought I'd go without one. It's not as though my boobs are very big."

"Well, even so, don't wear a polo shirt or a see through blouse."

She stuck the tip of her tongue out at him.

"Damn! Why don't I keep my trap shut?"

"'Cos you're a dirty-minded, correct and pompous barrister."

Andrew nodded dolefully and they both laughed.

As Andrew had done when he met Katrina there they were at the Trout a few minutes early and sat out at the front waiting for Nigel and his family. Katrina was in a high state of excitement, quite unable to sit still.

"Here they are!" she finally exclaimed and ran to the car park. Andrew followed at a walk.

Brother and sister embraced as closely as they could with her cast and sling. It had to be a short one too as the children tumbled out of the car. Katrina hugged them both and then Tamsin. Finally she was able to introduce Andrew. There were handshakes all round including the children.

Andrew led them all round to the back garden, took drinks orders and then went in, accompanied by Nigel to get them.

"Decent drive down?" he asked.

"Not bad. An hour and twenty. There wasn't as much traffic as I expected."

"It may be a bit heavier on your way back with the holiday makers starting to come back from the West Country. Do you know this part of the world?"

"Reasonably well. Certainly the Plain. What soldier doesn't?"

Andrew chuckled. "Stupid question."

Nigel smiled. "Are you a born and bred native?"

"Not really. My family comes from Somerset. Mendips actually."

They managed to carry the drinks back between them. By the time they got back to the table the children had found the climbing frame. They scampered back for a quick drink and then were off again.

Nigel sat next to Katrina so Andrew found himself next to Tamsin. There was four way conversation for a few minutes and then Katrina monopolised Nigel. After a few minutes she looked guiltily at Andrew and snaked a hand across the table. He took it, squeezed it gently and released it with a warm smile. Nigel took note but said nothing. Tamsin smiled at Andrew.

"She's pretty keen on you, isn't she?" she said quietly.

"I hope so but there are times I wonder."

"Don't. I imagine you worked out that Gran had engineered this meeting."

Andrew nodded.

"Even though we're happily married it appears that Katherine still feels that to fall for another man would be being unfaithful to Nigel."

Andrew stared at her and she smiled understandingly.

"It's a little difficult to believe let alone understand, isn't it?"

Andrew nodded. "I did wonder," he said softly.

"I'll talk to you later. Nigel wants a private time with her to put her mind at rest. Wait till then."

Andrew nodded once more.

"What do we want to do?" he asked loudly enough to interrupt Katrina and Nigel. "Get more drinks and order food then or order now."

"More drinks and order then," said Nigel, "then if the food arrives and we're not finished it won't matter."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.