Kate - Cover

Kate

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 9

Katrina sat silently thinking back over the conversation with her grandmother. She had hit the nail on the head. She was still hankering after Nigel. What she could not understand was why she had never done so before when she was busy being a recluse. Then it hit her. Andrew had persuaded her to renounce her vow and in doing so she had opened her heart up once more to being able to love a man and that man was Nigel, the only man who had ever returned her love.

One half of her mind realised that such thoughts were ludicrous. Nigel was married with children. The last thing he would do would be to desert them for an incestuous relationship which they had both decided was untenable, a decision she had led them to make.

The other half still felt that even if Nigel had very sensibly married she would still be being unfaithful if she gave herself to another man albeit a man who was loving, gentle, amusing, intelligent ... Her mind roamed over all the attributes she found attractive in Andrew. She still had the nagging feeling that despite the strong attraction to and the love she had for him she would be being unfaithful if she succumbed to them.

Then another thought struck her. Agreeing to be Andrew's girlfriend, going out frequently with him, kissing him passionately and hugging him so warmly were thoroughly unfair to him. She had to put an end to it.

That started her on another train of thought. She was going to be in this wretched cast for at least ten days and would not be able to drive so she needed Andrew to take her to work. She could not ask her grandparents to do that.

She sat disconsolately on the sofa not knowing what to think and fighting tears of frustration.

Andrew came back in.

"Lunch is ready," he said cheerfully. "I thought we'd have it in the kitchen in case you're messy. Come on, my wounded one."

He took her left hand and pulled her to her feet. She followed him silently and sat down at the table.

"I've cut them up small so that you can manage with one hand. Water, squash?"

"Water would be fine," she answered dully.

Andrew noticed it immediately. "Poor little thing," he thought. "She's whacked already."

He did not try to jolly her along and they ate in virtual silence.

"Thanks Andrew," she said finally. "That was great."

"Thanks," he smiled. "It wasn't too great a strain on my culinary resources. Now, young lady, you're obviously bushed so you're going to have a rest. After that we need to go to your flat and collect some clothes and other bits and bobs for you."

"OK."

He led her slowly and gently upstairs to the spare room.

"Same dirty sheets," he said teasingly.

"Mine," she replied with the hint of a smile.

"Now," he said gently. "You're still dressed for an evening out. Do you want help taking a few things off?"

She shook her head. "Not at the moment. I'll wait until we've collected some things from the flat. I don't need any more help thanks, Andrew. I'll be fine."

Slightly mystified he left her.

Despite all her previous worries she fell into a deep and refreshing sleep and when Andrew woke her with a gentle kiss she responded with a smile.

"Cup of tea," he said, "and then we'll go and collect some bits and pieces."

Over the cup of tea Andrew sensed she was nervous.

"Tell me," he said. "Something's worrying you."

"I-I can't face the thought of the stairs," she whispered.

Andrew understood immediately. "I'm sorry, Katrina," he said. "I was thoughtless. Of course you can't. What if you lend me your key and then when I get there I'll give you a ring and you can direct me?"

"Would you do that?"

"Katrina," he said reprovingly.

"Sorry. I-I ... Sorry, Andrew. That was unnecessary."

He smiled warmly at her. "I know. A lady's boudoir is a private place."

She could not help herself but laughed. "Pompous barrister."

Andrew was cheered. Perhaps her earlier reserve and coolness were reaction.

The clothes collection went without a hitch: three sets of everything with Katrina specifying the outer garments and Andrew looking for wide sleeved blouses. Jersey sleeves would stretch and should regain their shape when washed and ironed.

Andrew had hardly got home when the telephone rang. He answered it.

"Andrew Whitehead?"

"Yes."

"Good evening. Nigel Wilson. My grandmother told me that Katherine had broken her arm and was recuperating with you. Could I have a word with her?"

"Of course. She's right here. I'll hand you over."

"Thanks."

Andrew handed Katrina the telephone. "Nigel," he said.

Her face lit up. "Nigel!" she almost screamed.

Andrew went to the kitchen closing the door behind him. He pottered about preparing supper. There was not much to prepare. He had decided on a cottage pie ready meal which Katrina would be able to eat one handed.

It was the best part of ten minutes before she called him and when he went back in her face was alight with happiness.

"He's going to meet us at the Trout for lunch tomorrow and is bringing the family with him."

"Great! I'd better book right now or we won't get in. Oh Katrina, that's very good news. I really look forward to meeting him. Let me fix us drinks and then I'll do that. Alc or non-alc. You haven't been taking any pain killers have you?"

She shook her head. "Alc, please."

He did that and then booked a table, provisionally in the garden.

He sat down beside her. "I sense Edwina at work."

Katrina nodded excitedly. "I might have guessed she would ring him but I never expected him to visit. They've got to drive all the way down from West Byfleet."

"That's what loving brothers are for."

She smiled happily at him. Andrew was thrilled. She was back to her normal cheerful self again.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.