Kate - Cover

Kate

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 6

Andrew arrived at Katherine's a few minutes early. She was beside him a moment later. She smiled up at him but he restrained himself from kissing her. The kisses that they had shared were products of the mood and the situation. Somehow, he felt a kiss now, much as he would have liked it, would be inappropriate.

"Good morning, Mr Whitehead," she grinned.

"Good morning, Miss Wilson."

"I thought that because I know the way so well and the dangerous bits..."

"You'd put me in danger?"

"No but other idiots might, I should drive."

"Makes sense."

"Right, well lock your car and we'll go in mine."

"Um, Katrina, I'm not sure that's a very good idea."

"Why not?"

"Because Comberton has a reputation and a fairly smart BMW might attract the attention of yobs."

"Mm, OK."

"You drive though."

"What?"

"You drive. You're quite a big girl now."

Katherine was flabbergasted. He would let het her drive his smart car? What sort of a man would ever do that?

He smiled. "I trust you, Katrina."

"I-is it a manual gear change?" she stammered.

"Yes."

"OK but..."

"Just be gentle with the accelerator until you get the feel of it."

She still looked questioningly at him.

"Go on," he smiled.

They both got in and fastened their seatbelts.

"Oh!" he said. "I left it in gear. I always do."

She looked at him shyly. "And I always check it's in neutral before I start."

"We're laughing then."

She started the car and very carefully let in the clutch. The car stalled.

"Teeny bit more accelerator."

She nodded. "I was worried about taking off like a jet plane."

She tried again and the car moved smoothly away. She drove carefully past the cars parked at the side of the road. She was not sure of her width.

She picked up confidence on the main road. "Phew!" she said. "It's so responsive. Just a touch on the accelerator."

"Quite a big engine. Two point eight litres."

"Doesn't mean a thing to me."

"What's your car? A fourteen hundred, eighteen hundred?"

"Fourteen."

"That's cc. So this has twice as big an engine. OK, it's a bigger car but it's bound to have more acceleration."

"Whatever you say but I'm enjoying this."

"Good!"

It was not long before they were into narrow lanes that wound up steep, wooded hills before plunging down into the next valley. They passed through a number of tiny villages. Andrew was enthralled.

"I've never been here before," he said. "It's beautiful and so peaceful."

"Sleepy too but yes, I love it too. It was a big change from Yorkshire which is also lovely but bordering on the magnificent. Here it's so cosy."

"Absolutely right."

Eventually they pulled into the drive of a rather larger house than those they had passed. It was aged grey stone with big windows.

"Here we are!" Katherine smiled happily, "and no biffs to smart cars."

"I never expected any." He smiled warmly. "As I said, I trust you, Katrina."

She looked at him uncertainly. He had never quite used that tone of voice before. It was so gentle.

They got out of the car and Andrew retrieved a bunch of roses off the back seat.

"Bribery won't get you anywhere with Gran," she teased.

"Oh well!"

He opened the back door again. "Andrew, don't be silly. I was only teasing. She'll love them."

"Gotcha!"

"Pig!"

He grunted and Katherine pealed with laughter as the front door opened. Her grandmother took in the happiness immediately.

"Shush, Katherine!" she said. "It is Sunday. You'll disturb all the neighbours."

"Gran," cried Katherine joyfully and ran to hug her then disengaged to introduce Andrew. "Gran, this is Andrew Whitehead."

Andrew took in a small, grey haired, handsome woman with sparkling blue eyes.

"Good morning, Mrs Wilson, I'm delighted to meet you."

"And I you, Mr Whitehead, but let's do away with the formality, Edwina." She smiled and held out her hand which he took.

"Thank you, Edwina." He offered her the flowers.

"Ooh," she exclaimed. "This is indeed a pleasure." She smelled them. "Gorgeous! Come on in."

A tall, slim, also grey haired man leaning on a stick stood in the hall smiling welcomingly.

"Hello, Grandad," Katherine greeted him, hugging him just as lovingly as she had Edwina and kissing his cheek.

"Hello, Katherine sweetheart. You're looking very pretty. No glasses either!"

"Andrew made me take them off."

"How on earth did he manage that?"

"He told me they were part of the act and so no use anymore."

He disentangled himself and held out his hand to Andrew.

"Well done, Andrew," he said shaking his hand warmly. "Edwin."

Andrew stared at him and the old man laughed.

"Yes," he said, "I had to marry her. At least I could remember her name."

Andrew chuckled. "I bet you married her for more than that."

"Sh! Not in front of the ladies."

"That's stale, Edwin," said Edwina.

"Yes, dear, but not to him." He winked at Andrew who had to laugh again.

"Gin!" commanded Edwina. "You can make yourself useful, dear, while I put these lovely roses in water."

They all trooped into the kitchen where Edwin mixed them all a pretty stiff gin and tonic.

He led Katherine and Andrew out to the patio. Edwina followed shortly.

"So," she said to Andrew, "apart from being a customer at the library you met at a baroque concert. Are you a musician yourself?"

"No, far from it."

"Nonsense!" chipped in Katherine. "You play the piano and the guitar."

"Party pieces learnt by heart on the piano and mere strumming on the guitar and then only basic chords. I did tell you, Katrina."

Edwina leapt on that. "Katrina?"

Katherine giggled. "He had the temerity to call me Kate a couple of times so I told him he was being familiar. So then he said he thought that Katherine was reserved for cold, stuck up women and suggested Katrina. I rather liked it. It's musical."

"Hear, hear!" said Edwin. "Thoroughly dull name, Katherine. Shakespeare's shrew." He grinned. "Petruchio called her Kate though."

"Grandad," growled Katherine.

"'I am ashamed that women are so simple To offer war where they should kneel for peace.'"

"Edwin! Heel!"

Edwin grinned unrepentantly. Andrew exploded with laughter. Katrina biffed his arm.

All reserves were gone and conversation flowed freely and happily. Andrew was surprised and delighted that Katrina's grandparents accepted that his writing was mildly erotic.

"What isn't these days?" asked Edwina rhetorically.

They had a delicious roast lunch with wine. Andrew noted approvingly and affectionately that Katrina held back.

After coffee Katrina and Andrew offered to help Edwina clear up.

"Thank you both," she said, "but Katherine, sorry Katrina, sweety, you go and keep Grandad happy until he falls asleep."

Both young realised that Edwina wanted to be able to talk to Andrew on his own which was what he had wanted in the first place. She did not beat about the bush.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.