Kate - Cover

Kate

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 5

Andrew decided on a curry for Tuesday evening, a mild one. He bought the ingredients on his way home from work on Monday and cooked it that evening to allow it to 'fester' for twenty-four hours.

Katherine arrived at the cottage at seven on Tuesday. He let her in taking her hands.

"Hi," he said with a warm smile. "Spot on time."

He did not attempt to kiss her and she was relieved. He had promised no romancing. On the other hand she did feel a twinge of disappointment.

"Good girl guide trying to match up," she grinned.

He let go of one hand and led her to the kitchen.

"Curry?" she asked sniffing.

"Yes, just a gentle biriani."

"Sounds good. Smells good too."

"Hope so. What would you like to drink?"

"H-have you got any gin?"

He nodded. "Tonic?"

"Please."

"You're in luck. I've even got a lemon."

"A very Jeeves no less."

He chuckled, poured her drink and handed it to her. She took a sip.

"Ooh yum! I haven't had G and T for ages but I've still definitely got a taste for it. Thanks, Andrew."

He picked up the whisky and soda he had poured earlier for himself and they went back into the living room where they both sat on the sofa.

"Um, Andrew?" she started slightly hesitantly. "Would you be prepared to send me another of your stories to read?"

"Of course I would. How about a shorter one this time?"

"Whatever."

"It shall be done. Would you like to look down the list and pick one?"

"May I?"

He collected his laptop, fired it up and placed it on her knee.

"Golly! You've written quite few." She was silent as she scanned the list reading all the trailers. "Eew! 'Much sex'. I think I'll give that a miss." She read on. "Oh, it's impossible. Plonk! Could I try number five?"

"Of course you can."

He took the computer from her and sent the story then and there. "Voilà!"

"Thanks. You know what I'd really like is for you to read one of them to me. It would make it so personal."

"That's very flattering but yes of course. It might be rather fun. I have actually printed a few off. It had better be one of them rather than reading from the screen."

Katherine gave an excited jiggle and clapped her hands. Andrew was thrilled.

Light conversation followed. It was comfortable and relaxed as they both got to know each other better.

"What attracted you to law?" she asked suddenly.

Andrew chuckled. "Television. There was a programme about a barrister. I can't remember what it was called. Not the American one with the hero in a wheelchair and a pretty assistant although I enjoyed that too but an English one. What was it called? Rumpole! I used to watch it avidly. Then I had a godfather who was a solicitor and although what he did sounded interesting he didn't go to court very often and I decided I wanted the drama of that. In fact when the time came I decided to specialise in criminal law."

"Sex rears its head again," she grinned.

"Actually not very often in my case. I think I'd find anything involving children and young people distasteful and disturbing. No, I've had a few cases involving violence but there are plenty of other criminal misdemeanours."

"I bet."

"Anyway, time for sups. Now what would you like to drink with it. I've got some red wine already decanted but some people think that lager is the best thing to go with curry."

"What are you going to have?"

"Wine. It's not as though it's a very hot curry and poppadums should keep it under control."

"Can I have wine too?"

"Of course you can."

There was less talking as they ate. Katherine made complimentary noises and Andrew was himself quite pleased with what he had produced. They had ice cream and chocolate sauce for pudding.

They took their coffee and the rest of the wine back through to the living room.

"Katrina, I'd very much like to meet your grandmother some time."

"Really? Why?"

"Two reasons. First and foremost she was there for you when your parents threw you out and secondly because she showed understanding and love for you and Nigel."

Katherine was surprised and then pleased. "Thank you, Andrew. I think that's a wonderful idea and," to hide how touched she was, "I'm sure she'd like to meet you if only to make sure that you wash behind your ears."

"Very well brought up I am."

Katherine pulled his nearest ear forward and pretended to study it. "You'll pass."

"Forward miss."

"No. Just the nursemaid in me."

"Don't tempt me, Katrina," he whispered.

She looked down. "Sorry."

There was a momentary silence and then conversation picked up again until Katherine looked at her watch.

"Oh crumbs! It's gone half past ten. Work tomorrow. I must go, Andrew."

They both stood up.

"Thank you, Andrew," she said. "It's been a super evening and that curry was delicious."

She reached up and pulled his head down for a sweet kiss. His arms went gently round her.

"Thank you for coming, Katrina. I enjoyed every minute of it."

For a moment they both stayed motionless looking into each other's eyes and then without a word kissed softly again.

Andrew saw her out to her car and waved her off. Both were very happy.

The following evening Katherine rang her grandmother. After the usual pleasantries Katherine got to the point.

"Gran, I'd like you to meet someone."

"Tell me."

"He came into the library looking for a book that was just out and then we ran into each other again at a meeting of the Baroque Society. It turned out he's an amateur author and he let me read some of his work. I think he's brilliant and we've seen each other a few times."

Her grandmother's eyebrows went up. This was a turn up for the books.

"And what does he do apart from being an amateur author?"

"He's a barrister based at Southampton."

"Hmm! So why do you want me to meet him?"

"Well ... er ... he actually asked to meet you."

"Why for Heaven's sake?"

"Well, I sensed that he was attracted to me..."

"Are you attracted to him?"

"Well, er..."

"Go on then."

"I felt I ought to tell him my story."

"And?"

"He wasn't put off at all and was very sweet, sympathetic and understanding. He was impressed with your taking me in and then getting Nigel and me together so that we could end things as happily as we could. I think he regards you and Grandad as my virtual parents."

"I see. Well why don't you bring him over for lunch on Sunday?"

"Oh, thank you, Gran. Thank you so much."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.