Through a Glass Dimly, Book 2 - Cover

Through a Glass Dimly, Book 2

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 14

We woke lazily in the morning. We both felt good. We got out of bed reluctantly but embraced and went naked into the kitchen. I made coffee while Lisa prepared some breakfast. We quickly discovered that we were missing a few things. I found paper and a pencil and started a list. We ate a sketchy breakfast and carried freshened mugs of coffee into our bedroom.

We had time so we showered together. Our new bathroom had a big shower and a whirlpool tub. We used the shower this morning. We found church clothes and made it out the door and pulled into the church parking lot on time. We went to our class to be met by Pam and Frank and the students. Karen and John were the center of attention. I quickly realized what was going while listening to a question. I said, “Good morning. I’m sure you all have questions. We will answer them. Though I want one thing clear, we will not allow any two of you to pair with a single alien and separately only if your parents allow it.

“Now, let’s have the questions.”

“What’s it like to have an alien in your head?”

I said, “There isn’t anything physical involved in their presence. I don’t believe they have bodies as we might think of them. The presence is mental. They can affect your body. There have been healings and slight improvements to persons’ bodies. They can’t do anything with you that wasn’t inherently possible. Healing is different. We have had friends healed of stage four cancer. However, if you desire a body like Brad Pitt or Jennifer Lopez, that probably can’t happen. You can only be as good as you can be but no better.”

“Why don’t Karen and John just have one between them?”

“The bond between two humans through the alien is very strong. Breaking that bond could be fatal because you become too invested in each other. You are young yet to be creating bonds that would be physically dangerous if broken. Our partners have warned us that the death of one human partner would probably result in the death of the other. I’m not sure about a breakup but I think it would be very bad. At least, one would lose the partner they had. I think it would be a terrible experience close to death.

“At your age, being forced to maintain a bond that doesn’t work would be cruel. Choices are good things. If Karen and John become a couple for the long run, that’s great. If they don’t, then it will be no worse than if any other couple breaks up.”

“Lisa, you look at Al with such dreamy eyes. Al looks at you the same way. I would like a guy like that. That’s why I want an alien partner.”

Lisa said, “It won’t work that way. I looked at Al that way before either of us knew anything at all about Stargazer. We were already engaged.” She looked at Pam and Frank.

Pam was startled for a moment and then smiled. “I will tell my story. I’m not really proud of my part in it but it worked out. I met Frank at a social at a Baptist church that a friend of mine finally talked me into going to. I went to an independent church that was repressive. Frank pursued me and we continued to meet to go to church socials. My parents did not like Frank because he wasn’t a member of their church and is a lawyer. We had been seeing each other for about two or three months when I found out I had terminal cancer.

“Frank didn’t know what was wrong but was caring. I wouldn’t tell him. He not only stayed with me but asked me to marry him. When I said, ‘No, ‘ he stayed with me continuing to ask me out and be the genuine caring person that he is. I did finally tell him about the cancer. He still stayed with me. I was working for Community Bank and met Lisa. She saw something in me and offered me a job. I worked out my notice and left the bank. Before that, she weaseled out what was wrong.

“She had Stargazer heal me of the cancer. I agreed to marry Frank when he asked me. I had told myself that I wouldn’t refuse him if he ever asked again. He asked and I immediately said, ‘Yes.’ We did not have an alien partner. That was next. We had the bond. I knew he was a wonderful man who had stayed with me even knowing that I wouldn’t be able to stay with him for long. I had made a mistake once and had decided that, even with the cancer, I would say, ‘yes, ‘ if he ever asked me again. Starcheer is a wonderful partner to us but he only makes it better. Now, I’m very happily married and, I hope, will be pregnant soon if I’m not already.”

“The important two things are that my healing occurred before I had an alien partner and I was engaged before I had an alien partner. We enjoy our relationship with Starcheer but our relationship was there before we met him.” She had been holding Frank’s hand and leaned into his shoulder grabbing it with her other hand. Frank had tears in his eyes.

Mavis said, “Wow! Missus Pam, we never knew about the cancer!”

Pam said, “It was cured before we met all of you. I have been cured of many things. Starcheer has been supportive but Frank is the important one of the two of them. He was before and always will continue to be primary in my heart.”

Jessica said, “Missus Lisa, you seem to be so pretty, so happy, and so smart. Is that Stargazer?”

Lisa chuckled. “I hope it’s me. At least on two of those, I think I was pretty smart and fairly pretty before meeting Al or Stargazer. Happy occurred with Al. An alien partner is helpful and it’s nice to have someone other than Al to always be with me. Make no mistake. Of the two, Al is the important one to me.” I gave her a hug that she returned.

“Now, specifics for each one of you are the following. You must talk to your parents. If they say, ‘no, ‘ that’s the end of it. I can think of a number of good reasons for them to say no. If they are willing to look into it further, you and your parents must meet with Lisa and me. You or they or all three of you may decide to pass then. Only then will we ask Stargazer to find a partner for you. It may be that your parents will want to try it before they permit you. I am not a parent but I think I would be more comfortable that way. We are being cautious for a reason. A bad partnership would be terrible and might be fatal.”

Lisa said, “It’s almost time for dismissal. Let’s pray.” She asked God to guide each one in the class to the right decision and the right relationship. She asked for blessings on each family represented in the class. The class echoed her amen. Lois came up to me and said, “I would like a partner but I don’t think my parents would permit it.”

“Lois, I can think of a number of good reasons why they would not permit it. However, if you don’t ask, they won’t have a chance to discuss it with you.”

That response made her thoughtful. Brianna had stood beside her and listened. As they walked away, she said, “I’m not sure. I’m going to wait a few weeks before talking to my parents about it. It’s a big step, almost like having a baby and I ‘know’ I’m not ready for that!”

At the announcement time, Jenna had us stand and said that many from the church helped us move in yesterday. She said, “It’s a beautiful home for a beautiful couple. I am glad to call you friends.” We sat down and listened and sang as appropriate.

When the service was over, we headed to our new home followed by Linda and Paul and by Pam and Frank. We went inside.

The ladies put together a lunch from all the leftovers. It was good and the company was better. Before we ate, I prayed a blessing on our meal. I had started to wait for Paul but realized he was waiting for me. It was my home.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.