Through a Glass Dimly, Book 2 - Cover

Through a Glass Dimly, Book 2

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 12

Lisa and Linda make a powerful sales team. They have picked up three new pieces of business to quote. Nolan and Mitch have been reviewing the quotes with Jack and some of his guys. Ellen is now working there and doing well.

I went to see one of their leads after they had been there. The owner said, “Those two are dynamic and beautiful. They don’t take no for an answer either. They have talked me into a project that I hadn’t planned to do for a year because they convinced me that I will make enough money to justify it easily if I do it their way.” We chuckled. We talked some more about what he wanted from me. I also suggested that he give Pam a call to help him with marketing.

During the week, I picked up five new clients, went to the closing of our home with Lisa, and watched Lisa deal with matters at CME by phone while she went with me to look at the last pass on furniture. I was looking at that fourth steel supplier as a purchase candidate. Robert Jenkins confirmed that, while the bank didn’t have the paper, he knew the loan was in trouble. He warned me that the issue was more than ownership but that there might be rot all through that company.

Lisa has been keeping me busy running her around on furniture and helping review quotes at CME. I sometimes think I have unleashed a monster. She’s having fun and the employees at CME seem to idolize her and her mother. They see them bringing in business and Lisa getting things done everywhere she goes. She puts on work clothes and gets out on the shop floor with the guys and then cleans up to work with the ladies in the office. The additional fact that she’s beautiful doesn’t hurt.

The first part of that job we quoted is about to roll out to the customer on time and within the cost budget. She has been all over that piece of equipment with Nolan and Jack to be sure it’s right. Janet caught me out on the shop floor coming over to pick her up. She said, “Your wife is out there somewhere checking to be sure everything is right. I think she’s going to go with the crew to install it. What’s more, she probably can perform the installation.”

I grinned. “Sometimes she scares me.”

Janet said, “CME has never had leadership. It’s always had ownership but no one led and managed it making sure we had the tools to do our jobs nor an interest in motivating the employees to do well. By the way, I’m getting better pricing because we’re paying our bills. I always had the feeling we were getting factored for slow pay.”

I said, “Well, we pay now. I’m going to take her away to look at furniture to be sure that what we picked out is what we are getting.” I chuckled. “She will straighten out any problems. She says that her life is easier here than dealing with her professors on her doctorate.”

“I understand you’re moving Saturday. A bunch of us are coming over to help. Jack Edwards is bringing his wife and daughter. Karen is in your Sunday school class?”

“It’s Lisa’s class. I just joined in because I’m the husband. It’s the same with Pam’s husband. She’s Lisa’s assistant teacher. Frank hangs around her.”

“I don’t blame either of you. They are both pretty ladies. I will see you Saturday.

“Oh, yes. Al, did you ever talk to Olsen Steel?”

“I haven’t yet but I plan to though I’m not sure it’s fixable.”

She said, “Up until about five years ago, they were a good company with good prices and service. Something happened.”

“That’s interesting. I have it on my list to call and I will. Actually, I thought I would be here a lot more.”

In the distance, I heard, “Al, come over and see what’s been done!”

“Janet, I will see you later.” She smiled and waved me away.

I went over and looked at the first part of the project that was really CME’s first item produced. I had been going over the drawings with Red Fred and Will and looked at what was built. It was built to spec. Nolan crawled out from under the platform with Lisa. He gave her a hand. He said, “You’re right. We can make that change and it will make it a better machine.” He went over to the drawings and talked to Red Fred and Will who listened and replied. They all nodded.

As she came up to me, I said, “Madame President, it is I, your trusty chauffeur, here to take you to the ball to meet the king.”

She laughed happily. She said, “I guess I had better change clothes then.” She removed her ball cap and let her hair shake out. Even dirty, she was beautiful.

Nolan and Red Fred came up. Red Fred said, “Missus Lisa, we will do it first thing Monday morning. The paint will have time to dry before we load. It will still ship a day early.” I heard the tone of voice and the looks in their eyes and realized that Janet was right. These guys did idolize her.

Lisa said, “Great. Al is going to take me away to another meeting. Have a great evening, guys.” They echoed good wishes to her and we headed to the front. In our office, she stripped off the coverall and slipped her dress back on and changed shoes. I enjoyed the view. She said, “Let me run into the bathroom and wash my hands and we will go.” We were meeting Stan and Irene for supper. We would celebrate our new house and their promotions. Stan had taken the lieutenant’s test and passed while Irene had taken and passed the sergeant’s test.

She was quick and we left for a local steakhouse. We met Stan and Irene there with hugs and handshakes. We could all four feel the aura from our other friends reflecting from our joy at seeing each other. The four of us went inside to the stares of the other patrons. Stan and I kidded each other that the stares weren’t at us but our partners. After all, it’s not everyday in our small town that two tall, slim gorgeous women in mini skirts go into a restaurant particularly since one had a badge and a pistol clipped to her waist. Of all our friends, Stan and Irene were built most like us. The four of us drew stares and not just a few envious looks.

Stan and I were used to our ladies drawing attention wherever they went and just settled down for an enjoyable meal. Stan seemed confident in his abilities to handle situations and I knew I could. I had a feeling that Irene would be more trouble than any drunk would want to handle. As was common, there was a bar in the restaurant. We all had a glass of wine as we went over the menus. Irene said, “You move in tomorrow?”

Lisa said, “Yes, come on over. You can see the place and Stan can show off his muscles by helping.” She laughed with the usual sexy sound. We were seated around a table close to the bar area.

A big guy with a beer gut was coming from the restroom and came by our table. He intentionally pawed at Lisa who, without hesitation, slapped his hand hard. He looked at her in a mean way. He said, “Look, bitch, I was just being friendly.” He affected a wounded tone.

She said, “I don’t know you and don’t want to know you. Leave before you get in trouble.”

He said, “You bought my friend’s father’s company. I’m now your banker.” He put his hand to touch her shoulder. He never touched her shoulder because I took hold of his hand and lifted it away from her. “I was just being friendly.”

I said, “The lady isn’t interested in you and told you to go. Now, I am telling you to go before you trip and fall hurting yourself.” He started to turn toward me and I broke his finger and slammed him to the floor. I seemed to help him up with another hold. I said, “Now, you need to leave and take your friends with you.” I said it gently but firmly. He tried to struggle but gave it up because of the submission hold. I saw two more men come up, one of them being as big as the one I was holding.

The smaller one said, “You can’t take over my dad’s company without me doing something about it.”

Lisa was still sitting down but said, “Terry, you can’t do anything other than get you and your buddies hurt and in trouble.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.