Through a Glass Dimly, Book 2 - Cover

Through a Glass Dimly, Book 2

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 7

She replied, “That’s only the second who was that mad. Reggie has screwed over a lot of people. We have some great opportunities.”

I chuckled. “I have Jack and a few guys coming to review the quote. Where is Nolan?”

“He’s waiting in the conference room. He’s worried. Be tough but not too tough. He needs training in the Chambers way.”

I laughed. “The Chambers way? And, pray tell, what is that my dear wife?”

“You don’t give an inch but make them want your decision because it is clearly the best.”

I laughed some more. I also headed into the conference room with a good attitude with a warm thought from Lisa. I chuckled some more at that.

I went in and sat down. “Nolan, I am Al Chambers. Let’s see what we’ve got.”

He said, “Lisa had me send the standard terms and conditions to your lawyer for him to review.”

I said, “That’s good. We have him to watch over such as that. I will look at those later myself. It’s a new day and we can be sure it’s right for us before we send anything out.

“Now, tell me about the project first.”

Just as he started, Jack, Steve, and Fred walked in. I said, “Have a seat, gentlemen. Nolan was just starting to describe the project.”

He described the project going over the details in a way that showed a fine eye for detail. He then went over the equipment that would be recommended. I interrupted. “Do you have any sketches or measurements?”

“Yes, I have them in this folder.”

“Great, let’s look them over, too.”

We went over everything. Fred suggested two minor changes that Nolan liked. He said, “I think that cuts the cost a bit, too.”

I said, “The machines will run a little faster making our customer make more money in the same amount of time and energy outlay. Don’t show it as a change but make the point of the cost savings and increased productivity in your narrative letter. I want us to emphasize the benefits to the customer in our quotes. I want to sell benefits rather than cheap price. Then we need to execute.”

I went over with all of them the details of the quote and firmed it up for a final revision for Nolan. I said, “Put a signature line for you as contact and project engineer and for Lisa as President.” He nodded. “Thank you. We will be reviewing quotes this way. Nolan, your engineering is sound. These guys know how to build it and have some good ideas. How many quotes are outstanding?”

Nolan said, “I believe there are ten or twelve.”

“Figure it out and let’s go over them. We’ll reissue them under the new name. Also, I want to track quotes. On the ones we don’t get, let’s find out why so we can do a better job next time. We will have to do some selling for a while until we can build a reputation and references.” All nodded and we all left for our work.

I went into Lisa’s office and said, “That went well, I think. We’re going over all quotes. Those that are still open will be re-issued and we’re going to work on why we lose any. It’s going to take a while to build a good reputation.”

She nodded at me ruefully. “Let’s go to lunch. Pam comes with us unless she is going with someone else.” Pam was going with Angela and Shauna so we were on our own. We came back from a quick lunch and just had parked when office equipment trucks pulled up.

We unloaded furniture and placed it in position. My wife handled everything competently. Our office now had two desks in it that butted against each other with matching chairs. We would be able to face each other while we worked. The old desk went to Angela’s office replacing her old stuff that was in bad shape. Some of the old furniture went directly into the trash. Other items were left in an area for employees to take what they wanted. The new break room furniture looked good and, with fresh paint on the walls, would look better. The sign was almost finished and would be put up in the morning. I had an appointment in the morning and then would meet Lisa to go to the Optimist Club for lunch. I suggested to Lisa that we bring Janet with us to meet the senior people of our vendors in the area. She agreed and she told Janet while I was moving stuff. When we left, I had a few muscles that ached telling me that I needed to exercise. The day was over and we took Pam to the house and Frank joined us with Melody who had an uneventful day. We were sitting in the kitchen waiting for Paul. Pam wondered aloud if she and Frank could go to their apartment. Frank and I looked at each other. We nodded slowly.

I said, “Frank, be watchful. I am still worried. Tomorrow afternoon, I will stop by the police department and get a concealed carry permit to make legal what I am doing anyway.”

Linda then spoke up. “However, since you’re here, stay for supper. Then go home. Al can run Melody to her car at our church. I checked on it today while I was out.”

Everyone nodded. Soon, all four ladies were involved in helping with supper. I looked at Frank and we snuck out into the living room.

Frank said, “I’m still worried.”

I said, “Well, we know they aren’t professionals at it. A strong defense should be sufficient. Look around when you pull in. Check for strange vehicles as best you can particularly those that are backed in. Vans and SUV’s are suspect more than sedans. Have your phone in one hand with my number on it. Have Pam ready to call 9-1-1. All you have to do is dial it and shove it, open, into a pocket then defend yourself. I’ll come fast. With Pam calling, you should have help in time.”

“It sounds like a plan.”

Paul walked in and said, “What sounds like a plan?”

“We’re talking about the steps to take to protect Pam and him at the apartment. Pam wants to go home.”

Paul said, “I understand though you are both welcome here for as long as you may want. We enjoy having all of you here. It keeps Linda and me fresh. I know that you two are making love to your wives and it helps get us more motivated.” He chuckled. “It’s tiring but fun.”

I said, “Different subject but do you want me to pick you up tomorrow for Optimist Club. Lisa and our purchasing lady are coming with me.”

He smiled. “Yes, that would be fine. However, a company is only allowed one representative normally. One of you can be from Chambers and Chambers, the other from Chambers Mechanical Equipment, and the other will have to just come this time as a guest. I’m guessing that both your companies will be joining?”

“Yes, sir. That was my intention.”

“Your purchasing lady would be a good backup for the new company and Pam could be for Chambers and Chambers.”

“That makes good sense.”

“So, Al, how are things at the new company?”

“Busy getting ready to do business. Reggie hadn’t been working on deals lately so we are doing some desperately needed cleaning and maintenance. Some of that had never been done.

“Robert Jenkins was right. There are some very good people there. I see our job as leading them and freeing them to be successful. Lisa seems to be enjoying herself and is a natural leader and manager. It’s always invigorating to see someone you love do well.”

Paul said, “Yes, there is a particularly warm feeling that comes to you. I’m glad you’re feeling positive. Of course, now comes the hard part. You have to get business.”

Frank said, “That reminds me. I have your revised terms and conditions with me. We tried to tweak it not create a new wheel.”

Before we could talk further, Melody came in to announce dinner in the dining room. We followed her into the dining room and took our seats. Paul asked us to hold hands and he prayed for each of us by name and for our alien partners including Lightguide. He said, “amen,” to finish and we echoed that with a flash of light coming from our friends and partners.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.