Through a Glass Dimly, Book 2
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Frank ordered in sandwiches in for the three of us. We went over the documents between bites to be comfortable with the sequence and what the documents meant. We also signed off on the new corporation and the name would be Chambers Mechanical Equipment rather than the anonymous initials. We finished eating and reviewing documents with about half an hour to go. It gave us a chance to check with the office where Melody had everything under control with Pam and to go to the bathroom.

We were sitting in the conference room with Frank when their receptionist called saying that Reggie and Cathy McNamara had just come in. Frank went out and brought them back in to the room. I stood up politely.

Cathy said, “I should have known it would be Paul. Damn it, Reggie. We shouldn’t do this.”

I said, “Missus McNamara, that suits me. Paul Goodbody is not here nor is he buying your company. Lisa and I are. When you walk out, there will not be another deal from us at any price. We’ll let the bank deal with you and pick up the pieces. The only reason that Community hasn’t started foreclosure is our presence and this deal. That’s also your only hope of getting a nickel from the company. I would suggest you get off your high horse, sit down, sign the papers, and get a check.” Reggie even looked apologetic over his wife’s outburst.

She said, “We need to talk privately.”

I said, “You can talk right here or not talk. However, if you walk out that door, the deal is off.” I sat down looking at the two of them grimly.

Reggie said, “Cathy, he’s right. You don’t have to worry about your country club friends. We won’t be able to pay the dues any more. What we get from Lisa and Al will allow us to keep the house and get out from under Community. Sit down or we kiss it all good-bye.” She wasn’t happy but she sat down.

The closing went through without a hitch after that. Reggie didn’t like Lisa signing as President but he swallowed it down. We had given Frank a check that had been deposited in escrow and they gave a check payable to the corporation to Reggie and Cathy from the escrow.

I said, “Give Lisa a key for tomorrow. You can tell the employees that you sold and the new owners will be in tomorrow and will pay them. Clear your personal possessions out today.”

He gave Lisa a key and they left. Lisa said, “Well done, Frank, Al. I’m glad I didn’t have to say anything. I’ve never liked Cathy. I would have said something personal and biting and that might have killed the deal.”

Frank grinned. “I don’t think so. Reggie had to do this deal. No one else was interested at any price.”

I said, “I suspected that. He didn’t like it but had to get something out of the company. Now, we have some real work to do including walking next door and talking to Herb Norfolk. He’s going to have to lend us an employee to figure payroll checks or watch Reggie’s employees do it.”

Frank said, “That’s good. I have to finish everything here, record some of it, and put together the final package for you.”

I smiled. “Save some postage. Pass it to your wife one evening once it’s done. She sees us regularly, too.”

He grinned. “Yes, she will be glad this is done. It was very late for the last two nights.”

I shook his hand and Lisa gave him a hug. “At the latest, we’ll see you Sunday.” She smiled.

We left and went next door and met personally with Herb. He introduced Maureen Hollis, who would accompany us tomorrow and who would be our day-to-day contact. She was a CPA also. She was younger than Herb being in her thirties. She seemed to be sharp. She said, “Two quick questions for you. Do you have an account with checks?” We shook our heads. “Do you have tax numbers?” We shook our heads again.

I said, “We can write the checks from our main company account, Chambers and Chambers, for the moment. I guess we do need the numbers quickly.”

“Yes, but I will handle that. What time do you want me to be there?”

I suggested nine and gave her the address. She nodded and we shook hands.

We returned to our office in time to close up shop and go home. We warned Melody that we would be gone all day, as would Pam who we would pick up at eight thirty.

We went home to a quiet celebration with Paul and Linda. Lisa told her mother about Cathy’s outburst and she wasn’t surprised. Paul just wondered what Reggie would do for an income now.

We gave it no more thought. Later we went to bed and made love. I told Lisa that it was the first name that I slept with a president! She grinned and said that I would be allowed to do so again if I stayed on good behavior.

We woke up in the morning and picked up Pam and left for CME! We arrived to find many people who wanted to know what was happening. I quickly found the supervisory people and said, “Gather everyone and I do mean everyone in one room. We will be in there to explain and answer questions.”

We left Pam to handle the phones while Lisa and I met with everyone else. She said, “Al, you do the talking. Introduce me but this is yours to handle. I’m still not sure how I would go about it.”

I grinned. “Yes, Madame President. Of course, Madame President.”

We went in and stood in front of everyone. I said, “We are Lisa and Al Chambers. We own Chambers and Chambers and now Chambers Mechanical Equipment. That’s the new name of this enterprise. We closed the purchase yesterday afternoon. Lisa is the president and I am the vice president. One of our employees is answering the phones right now while we have this meeting.

“I am an engineer and plan to be in charge on a daily basis. My name is Al. My door is open and I am available. There will be some changes. This company hasn’t been profitable but it’s going to be. We will together build a company and a reputation that we can all be proud of. Joining us for a while is a member of our CPA’s firm who is preparing your paychecks. While your employer is and will be Chambers Mechanical Equipment, Chambers and Chambers will be writing checks for a while. We will continue your current benefit plans for now. We may change them in the future and will let you know what we are doing and why.

“I’m sure there are many questions in your minds. We bought this company to be successful. We have no plans or intentions to close it or make it smaller. I would like to see it double in two years as we build a reputation for getting projects completed correctly and on time. No one will be forced to leave but we will expect you to give us a good days’ work. Over the next week or two, I will meet with every single one of you and talk about what you have done and will be doing.

“After questions, we will close for the day and reopen Monday morning. I know there are a lot of questions on your minds. Try to be reasonable in them. I may not have all the answers but I won’t hide it either way.”

I stopped and one of the men stood. “I’m Jack Henderson. I was leaving on vacation week after this. Do I still get my vacation?”

I said, “Yes.”

One of the front office people said, “Mister McNamara said that you would fire us all.” I waited. She finally said, “Are you?”

“No.”

An older woman said, “What about our medical insurance?”

“It stays the same for now. I will be looking for a better deal for all of us but there are no plans to make things worse. Everyone on the plan stays on the plan. Everyone who had seniority keeps that seniority. However, seniority doesn’t mean a free ride. Each individual must do his or her job. That’s how it should be.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.