Edumacation - Cover

Edumacation

Copyright© 2013 by Baal

Chapter 1

A lot had happened these last few years for me. Going back home held mixed emotions for me. Dad had left mother, as man of the house I took the only real option open to a seventeen year old, 'Uncle Sam'.

$178.76 a month would not seem like much to many people, but in the West Virginia mountains it allowed mom to live a comfortable life when combined with Social Security and food stamps. I also got something from that decision, experience and confidence.

The two years went fast. One thing I did not need very much skills training, which was learning how to shoot, or more accurately, how to kill.

There were many things promised if he would re enlist. An old Sgt. had told me that with my skills, I could make a lot of money working 'off book' sort of speaking, and for people who were looking for a few men who could keep their mouth shut and complete the mission.

I was not too convinced that was the way to go until the old man handed me an envelope with an address, a phone number and $10,000. It was more money than I had ever seen or held in my entire life. That was now almost 3 years ago. I took the money, called that number and never looked back. The first thing I did was head home, handed Mama most of the money and told her to now try to enjoy life a little more. For me, the $10-15,000 I received each month would create a nest egg I could not get anywhere else. Rocco, my team leader, had advised me to bank the tax free money and keep any options open by living and staying at one of the safe houses they kept. Everything would be considered an operating expense, in exchange, the team would provide me more choices of assignments.

When I was informed my mother was ill, I expected there would not be any sympathy or understanding from the team. I was wrong. When Rocco sat me down, asked a few specific questions and several personal questions, I had never expected the big man to just nod his head, hand me an envelope and tell me I had 90 days 'hardship' time coming. $90,000 was in the envelope. "Take care of her buddy, leave everything 'ship shape' then come back, we will have plenty of work for you."

He had heard the group he was in, 'took care of their own'. He also had heard that the fees and rewards received were a lot more than their monthly paychecks amounted to. He now felt he knew what that extra was being used for. He never really cared, the monies he got, room and board and 'special' proceeds like this was an intelligent way to run an organization. He wondered if death or disability might also warrant something.

One of the guys drove me to the airport. We had a number, business address and mail/email located in the states. Almost all our assignments were elsewhere and one learned several languages over time, if not from the assignments then from the various team members.

We had French, Russian, Check, German, Thai, Laotian and a few Nordic troops, mostly shooters.

I landed at Dulles, got a rental car, a nice Mitsubishi that seemed to ride far better than I expected. National had a no mile fee option and that seemed the right choice for me. It was a tossup to fly to Ohio or PA then drive to West Virginia. I drove instead from Dulles. It was getting late but I wanted to get home.

On the way, just ahead, I saw an old battered pick-em-up truck. The bonnet was up and although one of the parking lights were on, it did not look like it was going anywhere. When we were not on assignment, it was SOP to be 'naked', especially in some countries that were 'phobic' about guns. Knowing better but since this was so close to home, I stopped to help.

A leggy blond, short shirt, revealing tank top and bare feet got out. I listened to her comments about the 'Damn truck' dying then it hit me, she was Laura, my neighbor Laura. We had gone to school together.

"Hi stretch, long time no see! You need help?"

"Robbie, Robbie Slaughter? Heard you left a while back! You here for your Mama?"

"Yep! Sort of didn't hear much other than she was ill!"

"Robbie, she got real sick. Sis and I tried to see to her, even stayed with her towards the end. Doc Wilson came around and we even drove her up to the hospital in Evansville. She didn't last long though. They never said what she had but whatever they gave her worked, she did not seem to have a lot of pain. She gave me some things to give to you as well as a bunch of papers and a lockbox of sorts. Your Mama was a good woman Robbie and when you left we all made sure she always had help and some company. Cindy and Rachel went over there to study and make sure she ate and had food. We may not have a lot up here Robbie but we take care of our own."

Where had I heard that before.

"Laura, I thank you. I never knew she was feeling poorly. I tried to send her money when Daddy left us. I guess I should have stayed closer."

"Robbie, don't you go blaming yourself. Your Mama was so proud of you. Whatever money you sent must have been enough because she never complained, nor did she seem to be in need for anything. As I said the girls made sure she always had someone to talk to and went over couple days a week. She came over every holiday too. Could you give me a ride home? Kevin is working tonight. He is a Deputy now and as soon as we can save up to get a place or Cindy and Rachel move out, we are getting married. I am guardian for them for a while yet, Cindy is 16 and Rachel 14 so they will probably find somebody soon. I'll call Kevin when I get home. Cindy can make you dinner while Rach fixes up your house for you."

"Sure Laura, I really appreciate everything you and the girls have been doing."

We pulled into the driveway of Laura's home. I was right next door. Two girls ran out. These must be Cindy and Rachel but I did not remember them. If they looked like they did now, I surely would have. What a difference, 4 or 5 years made for a teen. I had to take a gulp or two. Laura looked at me and giggled. "Maybe they'll find someone sooner than I thought."

"Huh" I mumbled, just staring at the two girls bouncing towards me.

"Sis, you brought us a present, and it's not even our birthday!"

Laura went inside the house to call Kevin I guess. Each of the lovelies took an arm and started to pull me towards the house. I heard, Laura. "Easy you hussy's, that's Robbie our next door neighbor. Ellen was his Mama. Cindy make him some dinner, Rach go next door and get his bed ready."

I think I heard her say, "she'd be ready for him as soon as gets there." Wonder what she meant by that?

As Cindy was feeding me Kevin drove up. Laura gave him a hug and a kiss. I had a few ideas then. That phrase, 'We take care of our own' kept playing in my mind.

I ate but really did not notice Cindy holding my hand and leading me to my house. I thought I heard giggling though. When we entered, four hands undressed me and pulled me under the duvet into the bed, I must have been asleep before my head hit the pillow. I woke the next morning to the smell of coffee, real coffee and the sound of bacon frying. Not quite certain about all the details but I did see a goddess sitting on the bed just looking at me. "He's up Cin." I had to check a few more times to see if she was real.

It might have been more pleasant if I did not have to use the bathroom so badly now. That morning might have been more sedate too if I were dressed of if that angel on my bed wore more than that see thru top.

"Does our little boy need any help this morning Robbie?"

"Oh man!' I thought. If she was only 14 I now feared what the 16 year old was like. Rachel held up a robe. She held it up. I heard her say. "Here Robbie, eat then we'll get you a shower. We promised Ellen that we would be here for you whenever you came home. We take care of our own Robbie."

There it was again. Everything just seemed to go black. Tears streamed from my eyes. When I woke up, my head rested on a lap and another set of hands were rubbing my eyes and face with a cool wash cloth while another hand kept stroking my temples. A soft voice kept whispering that everything was going to be okay.

My guilt for leaving, Mom dying, suffering who knew what and all alone. Then I remembered, she had not been alone. The phrase, 'We take care of our own' became like a mantra now.

A glass of water, the juice seemed to appear at my lips. I must have been dreaming but seemed to remember the feel of soft lips on my face interspaced with warm salty tears. I was asleep now, dreaming that I had died too and everything was going to be fine.

When I woke up, it was daylight still. The room was my old room. The window was broken, covered with a plastic sheet. Dust, dirt, leaves and some old yellowed bed sheets were tucked away in the corner. Those on which I now lay were fresh smelling and clean.

I heard again. "He's up!" This time Laura, Cindy and Rachel all walked in. I pulled the duvet up a bit higher. I still had no clothes on.

"Robbie, if your doing that for sake of the girls, it's too late. They have been washing, caring for your needs and seen you were taken care of in every manner all day and night yesterday, and if I know my sisters it was done with love not lust Robbie. Frankly I'm a little worried, if Kevin finds out he may want to marry both of them and not me. Damn boy, it was like lions protecting cubs, they did not want to leave your side."

By the look on their faces, I just knew now those were not all dreams after all.

Getting back to the living, I had suddenly seem to have gained two sidekicks. Laura came in one day with a box, some papers and items, things mom had given her to give to me I guessed.

In the box was some money I had given her, her wedding ring and a note for me. I took the note, then handed the box to Laura telling her it was for her wedding. She and Kevin should hurry up before he found out about her sister. That I was keeping them now that I had found them. I never knew it might have been prophetic.

Laura cried. It was a simple ring, maybe not even a real diamond, knowing my dad. Laura held it up, called out to the girls and continued to cry. She ran to the phone and called Kevin.

While we waited, I thought, 'What the Hell, in for a penny.'

When Kevin showed up.(We did not have much crime here.) Laura nearly knocked him over when she jumped on him, shouting and holding up the ring. "Look what Robbie gave us." then handed him the box.

His eyes got quite big, he watered up, saying that "we could not take all this!"

"Yes we can. You single days are over buster, as soon as we find someplace to live. I'm not letting my sisters get close to you now."

This seemed to work out perfectly.

"I started my practiced speech. "Laura and Kevin would you both do me a huge favour?"

"Well Robbie, what other damage you plan on doing? Isn't hog tying me to this gal enough for one day?" He was kidding, I think, since he held up the box of money and winked at me, a huge smile on his face.

"I have to leave again. I'll pay my respects, go into town and settle up anything mom had owed and see John about anything I need to do.(John was the lawyer in town.) I hate to ask, but would Cindy and Rachel be old enough and Okay to just move in and take over my house? I have no idea when I will be back or ever. If I, for some reason don't or can't be back in 5 years, see John in town. The house and some things go to the girls and there will be something for you and Kevin too."

Those damn tears again, this time followed by a hug and kiss while poor Kevin just looked dazed. 'Why?" Laura asked.

I now readily answered. "Because, we take care of our own and you four are all I have to worry about." Kevin wanted to know more. I took him aside and just told him that I was not a criminal and was not breaking any US laws. Hell, I figured some of our assignments were being funded by Uncle Sam even.

I got a nod from Laura and another kiss. "Let me tell the girls Robbie, if you do they will tear your clothes off and never let you leave. I suspect you may have started something with those two you will have to work out eventually, yourself. She was correct. Eventually.

I did the best and worst thing that day. I asked Cindy and Rachel to go into town with me. Why? I knew why, but did not want to admit it, especially to myself. I was in love with them, both of them and I had just really met them a few days ago. It just happened. I knew I had to leave soon or I never would. I decided they would be my reason to come back some day. Alive I hoped. Even if they then had their own lives and loves, I could always pretend I had something to come back to. I had seen too many of those who went crazy, were KIA or cost the lives of some good men in their quest to die. I needed something if I was ever to not be like them.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.