Just Another Day, Maybe Not - Cover

Just Another Day, Maybe Not

Copyright© 2013 by Jerrod

Chapter 10: Bravo Theme

Please understand that Charleston is a long way from Northern California and Southern Oregon. The 'Preserve' sits dab smack between them. The land around it, where more Virgin forests and Redwoods still thrive consists of State lands, military reservation and Indian Lands. They are like 13 or 14 million acres making the million or so the town holds seem miniscule.

Ralph, called Harry, Harry called John, John had Randi Davis track me down and hand me a package as if it was some kind of a summons. It was not. I give Randi a lot of credit, it could not have been easy tracking me down, but she finally did.

I opened the manila envelope with mixed feelings. It had to come from the two girls and they were not high on my list still. What was inside was not what I expected. In it was a hand written note merely saying, 'HELP' in big, bold letters and a dozen pictures and newsprint clippings. It looked like some 15-20 Million acres of parks and forests as well as two military bases were going to be sold. Most were virgin forest, thousands of years old and most of the remaining Redwoods and Sequoia's that we did not already own. We, I still was saying we. It was no longer my concern. Then again, I could not turn away from the note I read.

A huge logging and forestry concern had petitioned both State Assemblies as well as the Congress of the Federal Government to sell the land to reduce debt and serve the public interest. They should have said their greed. For $5 Billion the land would be leased for 25 years. In 25 years, I imagine most everything on or under the land would be gone. Some 15% of the gross value of resources, wood and minerals would revert to the current owners. It was a sweetheart deal. In 25 years, they would harvest $200-300 Billion, plus what they could hide away and steal. Some politician aimed to get rich quick.

There was nothing said, written I meant about us, me; I meant. All it had was a plea to help and try to find a way to get the land. I also saw that all the land could be purchased at $2,500 an acre which had priority over a lease. Gee I thought, only $50 Billion, about what the Feds spend on researching bedbugs each year.

There was a number to call and I knew that one well. I called John and told him I was coming back and to start lining up how 'we' could get $50 Billion or so by next month. We had less than 30 days left. From the dead silence on the line, I guess John finally did not have a smart comeback for me.

On my flight back, Leslie and Daphne were on my mind, a lot. I also started to imagine there would be a few additions, my kids. A town full of blonde-haired persons, blue eyed, geniuses came to mind. Maybe Hitler and Stepford really was there. One thing I did know was I sure did not want to see everything destroyed just to line a few pockets with gold. There was also that little issue about me leaving like I had. I wondered how that would go down.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.